Page 1 of 2
Hey UGers, just wondering if you could name you favorite tones for lead and rhythm guitar.
Mine would be:
Rhythm: Nymphetamine by Cradle Of Filth
Lead: They Said That Hells Not Hot by Marilyn Manson
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Somewhere between Andy Timmons and Eric Johnson.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Brown Sound (original, before he started using signature guitars)
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
David Gilmour's lead stuff in Shine On You Crazy Diamond (or any Pink Floyd really...)
Eddie Hazel in Maggot Brain
I've always liked Gary Moore's tone on most of his stuff, too.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
I dont know, but I'm pretty sure that when I hear it I will know it.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I hate Dimebag's tone. Way too harsh and trebly. Sounds like everything is coming out of an iPod Touch's speakers.

I would choose something that's powerfully (but not overwhelmingly) distorted. No compression. A7X may be my favorite band, but I hate Syn's tone. It would be bassy, with clear treble. Balanced middle. Humbuckers for extra warmth. Mahogany body with a maple top shoudl give it the tone I want. Peavey Classic 30 with a Les Paul (handmande) and a DS-1. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup) and a DiMarzio Breed neck (super warm, powerful and bassy). Together, they would even out and create the perfect tone. Like a punch in the face.

Clean, I'd have the breed neck only, with a hint of chorus and delay, also through a Peavey Classic 30.

Oh wait, I just described my setup. I <3 my tone.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 9, 2010,
i would want either a really bright tone with light distortion like josh's from tokyo police club or a really smooth full tone like hendrix's
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
for rhythm: something similiar to the sword and a very bassy tube sag kinda sound out of a orange rocker
for lead: modded plexi tone (jimmy page) and clean/slightly distroted tone like hendrix
Quote by Mentalcore
Train of thought - Petrucci lead and rhythm, Heavy and clean

Definitely not his best tone.

I dunno, I'm a big fan of the kind of creamy, smooth distortion that's not really TOO distorted. I hate all that extreme gain shit. If I wanted my guitar to sound like a synth, I'd get a Roland module.

When it comes to clean tone, a slight amount of chorus or phaser is just perfect for me. Not too much reverb, either, but just enough for a subtle ambiance.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Clean: Mark Knopfler, end of story
Light overdrive rhythm: Clapton's current tone
Light overdrive lead: David gilmour
Heavy(sorta) overdrive rhythm: EVH
Heavy(sorta) overdrive lead: Jimmy Page
There's more than one perfect tone for me. It would mostly be a super dynamic tone that sounds smooth and warm but crunchy and crisp like a Mesa Lonestar (a la Andy Timmons) when picked softly. But when picked hard, it will sound like a cranked Bogner Ecstasy will loads of edge and string definition.

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9ipbjWZIA
If a guitar could cry, this is what it would sound like. It gets good at 0:42
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by fearofthemark
I hate Dimebag's tone. Way too harsh and trebly. Sounds like everything is coming out of an iPod Touch's speakers.

I would choose something that's powerfully (but not overwhelmingly) distorted. No compression. A7X may be my favorite band, but I hate Syn's tone. It would be bassy, with clear treble. Balanced middle. Humbuckers for extra warmth. Mahogany body with a maple top shoudl give it the tone I want. Peavey Classic 30 with a Les Paul (handmande) and a DS-1. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup) and a DiMarzio Breed neck (super warm, powerful and bassy). Together, they would even out and create the perfect tone. Like a punch in the face.

Clean, I'd have the breed neck only, with a hint of chorus and delay, also through a Peavey Classic 30.

Oh wait, I just described my setup. I <3 my tone.

Quote by fearofthemark
(handmande) and a DS-1. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup) and a DiMarzio Breed neck (super warm, powerful and bassy). Together, they would even out and create the perfect tone. Like a punch in the face.

Quote by fearofthemark
I hate Dimebag's tone. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup) and a DiMarzio Breed neck (super warm, powerful and bassy). Together, they would even out and create the perfect tone. Like a punch in the face.

Quote by fearofthemark
I hate Dimebag's tone. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup) and a DiMarzio Breed neck (super warm, powerful and bassy).

Quote by fearofthemark
I hate Dimebag's tone. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge (trebly, super hot pickup)

Quote by fearofthemark
I hate Dimebag's tone. My pickups would be a Dimebucker in the bridge

wat

OT: I haven't heard it yet. I've heard some great tones, but none absolutely perfect for me.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
wat

OT: I haven't heard it yet. I've heard some great tones, but none absolutely perfect for me.

Was all that quoting really necessary?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo

Was all that quoting really necessary?

It was for effect.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
The one that blends in properly with the rest of the frequencies in context.

That being said, I like midrange. Midrange midrange midrange midrange. Especially when it's modulated somehow, but that isn't used as much on guitar. Think wobble/acid bass filter modulation.
David Gilmour

And the majority of the guitar work on In Rainbows, Radiohead. Like House of Cards and stuff.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Primus2112
wat

But I'm not playing only with a dimebucker through a razorback. I'm softening the harshness with more classic equipment
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Rhythm is Opeth's on Deliverance, lead is Devin Townsend's on Infinity.

Not my opinion, that's proven fact. I can back it up with graphs and numbers.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 9, 2010,
I have a Mexican Strat that I run into a little battery-powered Vox DA5. Today, I rolled both tone knobs on the Strat all the way down, switched to the neck pickup, selected one of the high gain settings on the Vox, and started soloing on the G string.

It was fucking glorious. I've never heard such wonderful tone.
Quote by bradulator
David Gilmour

And the majority of the guitar work on In Rainbows, Radiohead. Like House of Cards and stuff.

Oh god yes, House of cards. So nice.
Clean: OneFender Super Sonic into a 212 (open) with v30s.
Dist: A randal and a engl going into seperate cabs. (closed) Not with v30s.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Becker's tone on the perpetual burn album and Petrucci's tone on Images and Words.

But really, I value technique over tone anyday.
hue
Brian May.

/thread
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Eddie Van Halen's tone in Panama

EDIT: Or The Edge's tone in the whole Joshua Tree album.
Last edited by SirMajorMusic at Jun 9, 2010,
For me the tone totally depends on what's being played. I can appreciate nearly all tones. Like someone already said, the context is very important.
Lead:
On softer songs: David Gilmour's tone
On heavier songs: John Petrucci's tone

Rhythm: I kinda like Dream Theater's sound, but my tone is a bit lighter.

Bass: Whatever fits the song.

Quote by whitenihilist

Oh damn, that was an awesome lead tone!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 9, 2010,
steve vai for lead or muhammed suicmez (sp?) for solo's on occasion

bucketheads clean tones
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Lead - Dave Murray's tone on Benjamin Breeg.
Rhythm - Van Halen's Brown Sound.
Up The Boro!
Rythym tone - Josh Hommes "Kyuss" tone.

Lead - Josh Hommes "Kyuss Lead" tone.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 2