So my band has been having trouble writing any material we all enjoy. Me (lead guitar) and my drummer seem to write more hardcore things ala Converge but we try to mix it with melodic post rock parts. Our vocalist/rhythm guitarist tends to write more nu-metal things sorta like Deftones (not dissing, one of my favorites) and straightforward power chords.Our last two times we set apart time to jam together we either got things that none of us liked or things only some of us liked. Our last three songs have been: Black Metal/Sludge, Post Rock, slightly tech Groove Metal so their not exactly cohesive. Our vocalist thinks we shouldn't pigeon-hole ourselves in one genre but I thing it's necessary to in order to know what kind of sound we want to accomplish. Today the idea of splitting up come to table because of our differences but really none of us want that at all. Do guys have any advice for us? Ever been in a similar situation?
There is just the genre that the combination of you guys create. Someone comes up with something, the other guys add their parts. You just have to make concessions - you won't usually like a song completely that someone else has written, you just have to do your best to make it the best song it can be. Same goes for others working on your songs. The genre will decide itself through the music you create.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Oh believe me, we have compromised to get those songs done haha. I know what you mean though, it's just frustrating because we just can't seem to get on the right wave length right now. On the black metal(ish) song, everything went so smoothly so I guess we're just upset we can't have it flow like that right now.
If the lot of you have chemistry as a group of friends and a community, then the notion of splitting up shouldn't really be in question - that relationship between band members is one of the most important qualities to have, I'd say.

That said, if you lot can communicate effectively and get along, and do share some musical similarities - as you noted - then everything should be fine. Whilst every song you write may not necessarily be in the same defined style (as you said, you're crossing between black metal and post rock, among others) the more you write, the more of a sound you'll develop anyway - you'll develop approaches for writing, and learn from each other, and so your music and methods for creating music will develop likewise.
I personally haven't been in a band situation for a long time, but even by myself, I won't stick within one genre all of the time. But I can certainly advocate the idea that the more you write, and practice writing, the more natural it will be to write - either independently or in a group - and you'll end up developing your own quirks and kicks anyway.
And hey - listen to each others music! Be objective, and try to to pick out elements you like, or try to see what appeals to your band members, and why it does; you'll get to know each other better, and your own musical repertoire will be expanded tenfold. Besides, there's always opportunity for some wacky fusion.

Anyway, like I said, the important thing is a good atmosphere and community; if you can communicate and get along, you'll write some amazing music once you're had a few tries. And sorry for the somewhat detached reply - I just got home and I'm buggered . I hope this helps out.

Alex
Last edited by juckfush at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
If the lot of you have chemistry as a group of friends and a community, then the notion of splitting up shouldn't really be in question - that relationship between band members is one of the most important qualities to have, I'd say.

That said, if you lot can communicate effectively and get along, and do share some musical similarities - as you noted - then everything should be fine. Whilst every song you write may not necessarily be in the same defined style

couldn't have been said better, the group of guys i play with we all share 2 common goals and views (well a little more than 2) 1. band chemistry and 2. a will to succeed putting our music out there. We all have our outside influences and ideas but we compromise a lot. That's my biggest piece of advice to make "your" music as a collective.
Do what my band is...make you own genre. Music is about what you want to make it.
If your guitarist and drummer like hardcore stuff let 'em go nuts.
If you vocalist and rythm guitarist like Nu-metal let them go with what they know.
And just play whatever you like on you bass (I'm guessing you're the bassist here since you didn';t bring him up)

When you all find the tone you like work with each of your sonds to make it cohesive and work from there
Have a good one,
Phoenix