So, I've been playing my cheapy Ibanez Gio for a while now, but as I'm getting into the faster, harder playing, I've realized that my strings aren't holding up. I've broken 3 i the course of a month (Low E, A, and High E).

I currently have my Gio strung with the factory brand (D'Addario). I've been thinking about switching to a more durable/ better sounding brand.

My friend suggested Super Slinky Ernie Ball strings. What's you opinion?
(I play a lot of alternative rock by the way)
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
I use Super Lights. .009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042
I use only Ernie Ball and the super slinky ones are good but also give the hybrid slinkies a try
they're a great string and EB last the longest in my opinion.
This comes all down to taste, and seeing as how the gio is a fixed bridge, you probably got 10's on there.

I'd try Ernie Ball 10's, then when it comes time to restring, switch to D'addario 10's and see which you like better.

Btw, i could be wrong on the gauge size, but any store can help you figure that out.

Also: It is important to tell your tuning, I'm assuming standard, so 10's or 9's are just fine for that.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Super Slinkys are the tits, I swear by them. Great for rock music, where light strings are required. Not so great for heavy metal and such.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
DakoRob,
I'm a little lost. You mean restring with EB and then switch back?

TO EVERYONE: I tend to play in Drop D. (Assuming that matters.)
D'addario makes a "Light top/Heavy bottom" pack that I swear by (.010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052). Since it sounds like you snap quite a few low strings, I'd give them a shot.
how the hell did you break a low e and a?
i mean i use d'addarios 9s on my rg and i have never broken a string even when i strum really hard or with any wammy abuse
Quote by supersac
how the hell did you break a low e and a?
i mean i use d'addarios 9s on my rg and i have never broken a string even when i strum really hard or with any wammy abuse

I honestly don't know. My buddy's been playing for 5 years longer than me and he's never broken the low E or A. I don't play ridiculously hard either. I thought maybe I didn't treat them well. They both broke during a barrage of dead notes... (On two separate occasions.)
If you’re heavy handed stay away from D’Addario; they’re strings for people with a delicate touch. GHS Boomers can take brutal beatings for months without breaking but they do start to feel kind of gross as they get old. Slinkies hold up pretty well, too.
Are your strings breaking near the bridge? I use Kurt Mangan 10's on my gio and for a while the coiled strings got caught on the bridge and broke. My Brother had the same problem with Bass strings on his peavey. You just have to take a file to the bridge
Now that you mention it, they do break near the bridge! There's always about an inch and a half on the one end.
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky :-) Ernie Ball Kicks Tits
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
What's the difference between EB Hybrid and EB Super Slinky?