After seeing Jeff Beck last night, I'm planning on using the money I saved for a semihollow to make my strat awesome(Steel block-trem, locking tuners, tone control rewiring, ability to add neck pickup in positions 4 and 5, and new pickups, probably either a set of Tex Mex or Hot Vintage Noiseless pickups.) However the more I add the costs of everything and the shipping and tax and all that, the more I wonder if it'd be more worth it to just save a little longer and buy a whole new strat?

As far as the "new guitar" prospective strats go, it'll probably be either a Deluxe Roadhouse, a Deluxe Player's or a Classic 50's, as those are the only three strats within my pricerange that have ever wowed me, the winner likely to be decided in-store by who feels the best and sounds the ballsiest.

Also note that no matter what, whatever ends up my main strat will be getting rewired. In the Deluxe Player's case, since it has the switch for the 6th and 7th combinations already in, it'll likely be set up EJ-style with a tone for the neck and bridge, but otherwise it'll be rewired like on the modification list, albeit, save for a setup, locking tuners, and a string replacement, that'll probably be the extent of my fiddling.

So, UG, thoughts?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 9, 2010,
Would you consider selling your current Strat (which I assume is a MIM) and add the funds to your new purchase and get an MIA Strat? You've already got a really good quality amp there so the next step should be the same for a guitar if you can manage it. While modding is fun, you could put yourself within reach of an MIA price when you buy the MIM and add more stuff to it.
Moving on.....
im going to say upgrade to a new instrument. for the amount of time and money you're going to have to put into your current guitar, you may as well just sell it (or keep it and save up for a while) and get yourself a guitar that already has what you want.

im definately on board with your choice of the deluxe players strat; they have some really cool/useful (funny how ofter those two dont go together) features and the price is really solid. however, i think that you ought to take a look at the G&L tribute S-500: its got G&L MFD pickups (brilliant things they are), a massive trem, the pickup switching you want as well as the PTB (essentially a passive control letting you cut bass and treble independantly). i also find G&L stuff to be better built than fender
Quote by KenG
Would you consider selling your current Strat (which I assume is a MIM) and add the funds to your new purchase and get an MIA Strat? You've already got a really good quality amp there so the next step should be the same for a guitar if you can manage it. While modding is fun, you could put yourself within reach of an MIA price when you buy the MIM and add more stuff to it.

That isn't too bad an idea. That said though, my uncle sold my my current stratocaster, so I'd really prefer to hang onto it if I can. I do see your point about just reaching the price of a MIA strat with the mods though.

Quote by krehzeekid
im going to say upgrade to a new instrument. for the amount of time and money you're going to have to put into your current guitar, you may as well just sell it (or keep it and save up for a while) and get yourself a guitar that already has what you want.

im definately on board with your choice of the deluxe players strat; they have some really cool/useful (funny how ofter those two dont go together) features and the price is really solid. however, i think that you ought to take a look at the G&L tribute S-500: its got G&L MFD pickups (brilliant things they are), a massive trem, the pickup switching you want as well as the PTB (essentially a passive control letting you cut bass and treble independantly). i also find G&L stuff to be better built than fender

THat may be an idea, but I can't find any G&L dealers around here, and I refuse to buy without trying.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39