Well ppl, it appears that i no longer have my beloved Peavey 5150 :-( (thank god for insurance) So, it seems im in a bit of a pickle.......

Do i replace my 5150II with another, or do i go for a Mesa Triple Rectifier.

I have used a Mesa b4 and after a bit of tweeking, i was quite impressed with its sound.

I play heavy fast music.

Ideas people :-)
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
You should look at the Mark series, in my opinion the best Mesa amps for metal.
2 Channel Dual or Triple Recto, otherwise, the 5150, but a 5150, not a 5150 II.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you're asking yourself this question, you must feel that there's a better option out there than simply replacing your 5150II.
I have been happy with the peavey but maybe its time for a change. I hear a lot of good things about the mesa amps. I guess i could get the mesa and go back to the peavey if im not happy later on....

Quote by gregs1020

Mark V ---> that shit goes off with the right settings. If not, the Triple Rec is a devastating piece of kit. I'd take it over the 5150 any day of the week.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
im suddenly interested with the Mark V's. so i guess the debate is now, if i go with a mesa, is it the triple rec or mark v lol. Price isn't a major issue....

Quote by gregs1020

2 Channel Triple Recto > Mark V, IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
They're roughly the same price new anyway, I'm pretty sure. Well, they'd both be stupidly loud, ultra-high gain beasts... the Mark V is physically smaller, and doesn't have the chrome checkerplate on the front. Eh, they're both wicked.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
2010 Triple Rec or old 2-channel Triple Rec gets my vote. Such an awesome tone.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ibanez_guru
im suddenly interested with the Mark V's. so i guess the debate is now, if i go with a mesa, is it the triple rec or mark v lol. Price isn't a major issue....

Then the question is: how tight do you like your tone?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by MatrixClaw
2 Channel Triple Recto > Mark V, IMO

Listen to this guy^

But why not Peavey? Maybe try the new 6534+ and see how you like it.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

yeah i think i am leaning towards an older 2 channel trip rec. i even found one for $1200 AUD head only :-)

As to what happened with the 5150, Either someone decided that they would just help themselves to it or it grew legs and ran away!!!

INSURE YOUR GEAR PPL!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020

I'd go for a 2010 rectifier, or an old 2 channel dual rectifier.
They are both better than the mark V if you ask me.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
why only peavey and mesa? How about other amps like ENGL, Splawn, Bogner, Diezel etc. U said price isn't an issue.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
The Mark V is a superior amp, but it won't suit the sound you're going for as well as a rectifier. I'd definitely look at an older 2 channel dual.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
I was an 5150 user for years. Then, like you, I heard many good things about the Mesa Boogie.

Different amps work for different people. If you are a 5150 user and were happy with that amp. Then, like me, a Mesa Boogie just may not do it for you. They are great amps, but after the honeymoon period is over I'll bet that you'll just want your 5150 again.

Test out the product before you buy it and don't be afraid to be critical of a new purchase. Often times, our minds psychologically don't allow us to be as critical of a new guitar amp as we should be. This is because it's difficult enough to justify the purchase so our minds only concentrate on the positive aspects of the amps. This is also why musicians go through gear awfully fast.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I've heard some great tones come from a Mark V head with an Orange cab.
The Mark and Rectifier amps are so different than it is hard to mention them in the same breath in terms of comparison. I would go for one of the new Triple Recs with the Power scaling if you don't go for another 5150, but honestly I would just go with the 5150.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

The hardest part is gonna be finding another 5150 for a reasonable price. Some people advertise them for rediculous prices because they are becoming hard to get. When i say price isn't really an option, it doesnt mean that im gonna pay double what they are worth..... Please dont post anything about "why dont u get a 6505 instead" Our other guitarist has a 6505 and there is no comparison sound wise. As proud as he is with the 6505, even he will tell u there is no comparison...

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru
The hardest part is gonna be finding another 5150 for a reasonable price. Some people advertise them for rediculous prices because they are becoming hard to get. When i say price isn't really an option, it doesnt mean that im gonna pay double what they are worth..... Please dont post anything about "why dont u get a 6505 instead" Our other guitarist has a 6505 and there is no comparison sound wise. As proud as he is with the 6505, even he will tell u there is no comparison...

No comparison between what?

There is no difference between the 5150 and 6505
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
u got a jcm 800 get a recto and you will have an epic amp monopoly also the recto can do what a 5150 can but a 5150 cant do what a recto can
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by gutted_radical
u got a jcm 800 get a recto and you will have an epic amp monopoly also the recto can do what a 5150 can but a 5150 cant do what a recto can

My JCM basically never sees the light of day! Im too scared to move it! Its got the sweetest tone ever but its old and im scared of breaking it lol!!! It is probably the one piece of irreplaceable equip i will ever own. Its so versatile. It doesnt suit the style i am playing these days but for jamming and bumming around, it is the sweetest sounding amp i have ever seen used or heard. Its definately one of a kind :-)

Quote by gregs1020

Try 'em both out and see which one you like best.

Sorry I can't give you more advice than that. I personally prefer the Triple Rec tone, but Mark may be better for the sound you are going for, idk. Definitely prefer the Triple Rec over the 5150, but that is just me again.
IMO a Mark V isn't that great for serious metal, the Recto just has so much more balls to it and even though ppl say they're not tight if you EQ it properly you can get incredible metal tones. i've got a Dual and its the best amp i've ever played so i'd recommend but i haven't played a Triple, it is however supposed to be tighter in general than the Dual
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Well i want that full on sound cause i will also be using a 7 string as well as 6

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru

hey not trying to hijack the thread or anything like that but if you want a good priced FJA bias modded 5150 I am looking to part with mine. I would fully suggest going out, finding one and playing it first because pesonally I like the 5150 more than the II and the bias mod makes it sound all the better.

message me back if your interested I won't charge ya much more than 700$

now on topic I like the 5150 because I just couldn't get over the touchy eqing and the loose bottom end of the rectos, just me tho
Quote by Iamlightofevil
I have nothing dude for my parents to see all I do is use my imagination and hump my bed with underwear on...takes care of the spill and nothing for anyone to find anything.
Quote by shtuff
hey not trying to hijack the thread or anything like that but if you want a good priced FJA bias modded 5150 I am looking to part with mine. I would fully suggest going out, finding one and playing it first because pesonally I like the 5150 more than the II and the bias mod makes it sound all the better.

now on topic I like the 5150 because I just couldn't get over the touchy eqing and the loose bottom end of the rectos, just me tho

PM'd
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shredftw
IMO a Mark V isn't that great for serious metal, the Recto just has so much more balls to it and even though ppl say they're not tight if you EQ it properly you can get incredible metal tones. i've got a Dual and its the best amp i've ever played so i'd recommend but i haven't played a Triple, it is however supposed to be tighter in general than the Dual

I know its your opinion but Mark V not good enough for serious metal
Between the Buried and Me, Lamb of God, and John Petrucci uses them and get some pretty heavy tones. It doesn't have the low end kick that the recto's have but rather punches you in the spleen with awesomeness in its own way (:

But I'd say try both the Triple Recto and a 6505 and see which one you like more. I have to agree these amps are much more of a purist metal kind of amp compared to a Mark V. I just get defensive because I own one
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Ts, private message me, my brother is selling his old dual rec and it is in perfect condition, so message if interested
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
If you go for Mesa I'd suggest the Mark series, the Roadster or an old 2 channel. the newer 3-channel Dual Rectifiers don't sound as good as the old 90's ones, and the Triple does sound a bit better, but it's not worth paying the extra hundred or more for. You could also go for a Single Rec if you wanted to, those put out the older Mesa tones better than a Dual or Triple can, and they're much easier to tweak.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
i perfer my 5150 to the recto

Is yours a 2 channel though?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shtuff

pm sent

Quote by gregs1020

a boosted 2 channel recto is one of the biggest wins i have ever heard. period.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION