Hi there,

I have written this piece, kind of a pop/soft rock instrumental - I quite like it, and am recording it at the moment (hence the drum clicks at the start).

What do you think? Any suggestions for improvement before I fully record?
Also, could you rate it out of 10? (Or just choose between 'amazing' or 'good'... either will do! :P)

C4C as usual!!

Thanks,
AJ
Attachments:
GI2 - Files.zip
Last edited by ankthebank at Jun 9, 2010,
I've checked up your stuff - sounds too happy for me, but it's good. It'll be working as soundtrack for some melodrama movie I'd give it 7/10
I liked the busyness of the bass but for bars 23 and 25 i think you can go start chilling the bass out a bit :P I think you should have the bass hold that F# as well in those bars and for bar 26 i think the bass riff should be only descending.

By bar 27, if you are going to reuse that riffage, you need to start changing up the lead a bit (kinda like what you did at bar 35).

I don't like the change at bar 39 (key change? :P but i removed one of the repeats of 39 - 40 and it worked a lot better for me. Kinda like you are just chilling & listening, this change comes in and you're like "wtf omg omg" and then before you realize what happened you're back to the original idea :P You could even cut out bar 43+44 imo, i think that would help my "vision" even more.

Anywho, i liked it. I think you could have done a lot more with it though. I was expecting a complete direction range i.e. like at bar 15 i was expecting you go into a heavy part and completely change the direction. I really liked the clean guitar work (the choruses basically).

Edit: I just read what Tom said i think this would work sooo well in like a gangster movie Like i could totally see this in "Snatch" somewhere.
Last edited by 21Fretter at Jun 9, 2010,
Haha, thanks a lot for the advice - I was a bit unsure of that bridge myself too (key change, and all that jazz ;P), but i'm not too sure of cutting out so many bars (it's sound too sudden i think)... i agree with the bars 23 and 25, and also 26 (regarding the bassline).

But very helpful crit you've given, thanks a lot! I'll try to make your 'vision' come true... oh yeah, and mine too! haha ;P

(...but mainly yours)
I really like the clean guitar at bar 47. I think the polysynth should be slightly higher in the mix. I really like the entire piece to be honest. But to mirror everyone else, I'm not really sure about the key change at bar 39. I think you need a smoother modulation.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Hmm, i'm not amazing at doing key changes... how would you recommend adding to the transition? A reverse cymbal maybe?
Quote by The Arsis
I liked the first melody. The song was pretty cool but there were a few parts I would have changed up. Instead of a crit, I just altered some of the parts that I thought needed a change.

Thank you very much! There are some very useful ideas in there, i'm sure they will make it perfect! ...and i do like perfect

Thanks man
This sounds pretty good dude.

But it feels like it's just rising and rising, then nothing. there needs to be a big defining climax, and it's never reached.
Cool, i'll look into that... i'm a bit hesitant on sticking distorted guitars in this piece, but maybe I could introduce some more variations, and make the drum part more interesting in the final section? What do you think?
sounds pretty good ;D
unfortunately I must say, that the song sounds to happy to me...sorry
but I like the synth bass and the clean guitar at bar 23 ;D
I'll give it...ehh...8/10 ;D