has anyone tried the Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge? i know its made in asia so ..any difference in quality ?
I now have a signature
The FR-1000 is exactly the same as an OFR, only yeah, the machines that make each part are being operated by a Korean guy whereas the machines that make parts for OFRs are being switched on and off by a German guy. That's it. You would have ot be pretty racist to think that made any difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It is supposedly made to German OFR specs, but there are some very subtle differences. The tooling to make them is NOT exactly the same. Most people are very happy with them but some believe the baseplate is not made with same quality steel.

Also, make sure you are talking about the FR1000 and not the Floyd Rose Special (zinc block and saddles) as many confuse the two and/or think they are the same.

It helps to understand why FR came out with both the FR1000 and the FR Special. The patents to the OFR ran out in 2005. Up until this point OEM's had to use licensed floyds when they wanted a less expensive double locking trem.....and FR still got his slice of the proverbial pie. With the Patents expiring FR needed to release less expensive versions of his trem in order to keep that slice. The FR1000 is available only to OEM's as a less expensive OFR (again, supposedly same quality). The FR Special (available to OEM's as well to consumers) was designed to compete with all the <$100 "floyds" out there negating the need for OEM's to look elswhere for 'Floyds' on their lower end guitars. IMO, the Special is the best sub $100 Floyd as it's built exactly like an OFR allowing it to be updgraded to OFR spec down the road if desired (just replace the zinc block and saddles).

Now, with that said, I think the Gotoh is better than the OFR ;-)
Quote by webwarmiller

I think,the ibanez Edge,LoPro and edge Pro are much better than the OFR
The Floyd rose special on my alexi 200 was junk!

Replaced it with an OFR fit right in, used nut #2

I have two OFR's and they are the shit!!!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete

Replaced it with an OFR fit right in, used nut #2

I have two OFR's and they are the shit!!!

they maybe junk,but I was pissed off when he said they were low quality because they are made in asia..

ESP navigators,Ibanez J customs and prestiges are made in japan(asia)and the last the time I checked they had *better quality than some of the USA made gibsons
Quote by Gundamnitpete

The Alexi 200's haven't always had FR Specials. Just making sure your Alexi 200's trem actually was stamped "Floyd Rose" with "Special" beneath it on the baseplate? I'ver heard nothing but good things about the FR Special (other than permature saddle wear). Here's a pic of an Alexi 200 with a 'mystery' Floyd.

Mine says special right on it.

I got it from GC, but it's possible that my saddles were wornout from the beginning. In either case, it is no where bear as good as the OFR I have on it now.

Don't get me wrong, it works OKAY. But it doesn't always come back to zero. I'm very happy with the upgrades.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by webwarmiller
It is supposedly made to German OFR specs, but there are some very subtle differences. The tooling to make them is NOT exactly the same. Most people are very happy with them but some believe the baseplate is not made with same quality steel.

Also, make sure you are talking about the FR1000 and not the Floyd Rose Special (zinc block and saddles) as many confuse the two and/or think they are the same.

It helps to understand why FR came out with both the FR1000 and the FR Special. The patents to the OFR ran out in 2005. Up until this point OEM's had to use licensed floyds when they wanted a less expensive double locking trem.....and FR still got his slice of the proverbial pie. With the Patents expiring FR needed to release less expensive versions of his trem in order to keep that slice. The FR1000 is available only to OEM's as a less expensive OFR (again, supposedly same quality). The FR Special (available to OEM's as well to consumers) was designed to compete with all the <$100 "floyds" out there negating the need for OEM's to look elswhere for 'Floyds' on their lower end guitars. IMO, the Special is the best sub $100 Floyd as it's built exactly like an OFR allowing it to be updgraded to OFR spec down the road if desired (just replace the zinc block and saddles).

interesting, that makes sense. nice post.

I don't think the frt-1000s are exactly the same either- certainly the saddles are slightly bevelled at the back on the frt-1000s, whereas they're straight on the schaller-made one. Will that affect the trem? don't think so, but if they changed something else...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a LTD MH-1000 with a Floyd 1000 series on it and it's awesome. It my first floyd and I have no problems with it at all. Take the time to read and understand how they work and you will be golden. I set mine up myself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
interesting, that makes sense. nice post.

I don't think the frt-1000s are exactly the same either- certainly the saddles are slightly bevelled at the back on the frt-1000s, whereas they're straight on the schaller-made one. Will that affect the trem? don't think so, but if they changed something else...

There are some other differences that aren't quite as obvious as the saddles. The bevels to form the knife edge on the German OFR are more precise than those on the FR1000. The fine tuner spring plate is of different thickness as well. Most say the fine tuners don't adjust as smoothly...as if the threading isn't as cleanly cut. There are some sites that show detailed pics of the differences (for example: http://dellus.net/?tag=floyd-rose-tremolo) . If there are differences to the naked eye then there are more than likely some metallurgical differences as well....

Now, with that said SUHR abandoned the OFR in favor of the Gotoh due to numerous quality control issues with the GERMAN made OFR.
Last edited by webwarmiller at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_alexi.html
they come with Floyd Rose specials

Yes, the current versions have FR Specials; but they older ones did not (not sure what year ESP/LTD made the switch). Such as this one that closed on Ebay last month: http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Alexi-Laiho-200-Guitar-signed-Children-Bodom-/250637130011?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3a5b23191b

Obviously not a FR Special due to shape of base plate. This also makes you wonder how many older Alexi 200's are sitting in MusiciansFriend/Guitar Center's warehouses with this older trem.....probably quite a few...
Quote by webwarmiller
There are some other differences that aren't quite as obvious as the saddles. The bevels to form the knife edge on the German OFR are more precise than those on the FR1000. The fine tuner spring plate is of different thickness as well. Most say the fine tuners don't adjust as smoothly...as if the threading isn't as cleanly cut. There are some sites that show detailed pics of the differences (for example: http://dellus.net/?tag=floyd-rose-tremolo) . If there are differences to the naked eye then there are more than likely some metallurgical differences as well....

Now, with that said SUHR abandoned the OFR in favor of the Gotoh due to numerous quality control issues with the GERMAN made OFR.

excellent, thanks. thanks for the link too .

Yeah, I'd heard about suhr abandoning the ofr. The gotoh is a really nice trem. It'd be nice if you had the option of a brass or steel block, though- depending on the guitar, brass can be too warm (and i'm guessing the opposite can be true, steel can be too bright, on a bright guitar).

I agree about the suggestion that if there are differences that you can see, that there might be differences that you can't. Flibble is a bit quick to jump on the racism card (not to mention a bit quick to trust Floyd Rose)- I agree wholeheartedly that, using the same machines and given the same training, someone from any country could make the thing to the exact same standard (or at least, any differences would be due to personal merit and character, completely separate from nationality)- but that's not the point. Chinese-made guitars aren't lower in quality (in general) than US- or European-made guitars because they're made by Chinese people, they're lower in quality because they're designed to be lower in quality, using cheaper parts, wood, probably machines too, etc. etc. Considering the frt-1000 is designed to be a "cheaper" version of the OFR, they might also have cheaped-out on parts. Or they might not.

But considering the EXTREMELY cagey answer I got from Floyd Rose when I first asked them about the FRT-1000 which was starting to appear in the specs for the Jackson SL3, I'm not terribly inclined to trust their assertions that it's exactly the same thing. Or at least I won't until I get independent corroboration.

I guess (as far as I'm aware) the one good thing, though, as far as I'm aware, is that both the FRT-1000 and Floyd Rose Special are direct swaps for an OFR, aren't they?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 9, 2010,
On the same note, I have a question about the floyd rose on this guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKDMQ-Dinky-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=583323

It says in the description it has a Jackson Licensed Floyd, but in the specs it says Floyd Rose FRT O2000 double-locking tremolo bridge. Can someone clarify what type of floyd this guitar has and if it is actually good. I love the gold and purple combo. I've wanted Dimarzio pickups too and the reliability of the Floyd is really the only thing I'm questioning because I don't want to fall into the same mess I'm in with my current Jackson.

I have a Jackson RR3 right now and I believe it has the Jackson JT580LP version in it. I do not like it, it isn't smooth, it screws in so it loosens often, the top strings constantly break near the bridge, and I'd say it is average at holding its tuning. This was my first guitar with a Floyd and it really turned me off to them, it is uncomfortable for me to play and just causes problems. However, I've played my friends Dean that also has a licensed Floyd and it is MUCH better, smoother and just better in general. I'm looking into a new guitar, the Rhoads is nice, but I wouldn't consider swapping to an Original floyd because it has other cosmetic issues and I'd prefer a whole new guitar. I like having a Floyd to play around with Divebombs and stuff, so a fully functioning one would be great. If I can't make up my mind I'll probably settle for a hardtail.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
^ i don't know, it's not on the jackson website. You'd really need to ask them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The floyd rose 1000, 2000, and 3000 are all the same, just different incolour. 1000 is black, 2000 is gold, and I think 3000 is chrome.
Quote by Dave_Mc
.....a bit quick to jump on the racism card

I actually laughed as the original poster is from Singapore

Quote by Dave_Mc
Chinese-made guitars aren't lower in quality (in general) than US- or European-made guitars because they're made by Chinese people, they're lower in quality because they're designed to be lower in quality, using cheaper parts, wood, probably machines too, etc. etc.

EXACTLY. Does anyone think Fender wants the Squiers to be comparable......although the line is very blurred on which is the better guitar btw the Classic Vibes and MIM Std's...(of course they ARE only $150 apart from one another)

Quote by Dave_Mc
I guess (as far as I'm aware) the one good thing, though, as far as I'm aware, is that both the FRT-1000 and Floyd Rose Special are direct swaps for an OFR, aren't they?

YES
Quote by IcemanSOAD
On the same note, I have a question about the floyd rose on this guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKDMQ-Dinky-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=583323

Looks to be an FRT-3000 to me as the 2000 is black and 1000 chrome. Most likely a bad cut-n-paste by MF. Jackson is definitely using FRT-X000's when not using their own JT580LP's. This model appears to be a special model only for the conglomerate that is MF/GC/M123 as it isn't on the Jackson website.
Well, you know the Germans always make good stuff.....

Anywho, I really don't see any difference between the two products.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by webwarmiller
Looks to be an FRT-3000 to me as the 2000 is black and 1000 chrome. Most likely a bad cut-n-paste by MF. Jackson is definitely using FRT-X000's when not using their own JT580LP's. This model appears to be a special model only for the conglomerate that is MF/GC/M123 as it isn't on the Jackson website.

Thank you for the response. I've read these are more similar to Original Floyds and probably a step up from my current jackson trem, or at least it will be new and not worn out. And the finish blows me away so I'm really liking this guitar. Hope they won't charge an arm and a leg to ship it to Canada and that customs won't hit me too hard.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
Quote by webwarmiller
(a) I actually laughed as the original poster is from Singapore

(b) EXACTLY. Does anyone think Fender wants the Squiers to be comparable......although the line is very blurred on which is the better guitar btw the Classic Vibes and MIM Std's...(of course they ARE only $150 apart from one another)

(c) YES

(a) i didn't notice that but LOL

(b) yeah. Sometimes they get it wrong... normally things get discontinued when that happens. That's why I'm not a major fan of the big brands- they all (apart from the really small custom shops/luthiers) do it to a certain extent, but the biggest ones are the worst. There's something wrong (in my opinion) if you aren't making the best instrument you can so that you guarantee sales of your more expensive instruments- if you ask me you deserve to go out of business. EDIT: I haven't tried the classic vibes but everything I've heard suggests you're right. I certainly have GAS for them

(c) thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 9, 2010,