Page 1 of 2
This is based off of a tangent in Colohue's lecture. I'm curious, what word do you think should be used to describe a mental condition when speaking broadly? All of these words, disorder, affliction, illness, ailment, ect all imply different things when used to describe a mental condition. Therefore we much be careful when describing a mental condition in order to not imply the wrong thing, as such, when speaking broadly a fairly neutral word should be used.

My question to you pit, is which word do you think should be used to describe a mental disorder when speaking broadly? Feel free to give your rationale.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
This is based off of a tangent in Colohue's lecture. I'm curious, what word do you think should be used to describe a mental condition when speaking broadly? All of these words, disorder, affliction, illness, ailment, ect all imply different things when used to describe a mental condition. Therefore we much be careful when describing a mental condition in order to not imply the wrong thing, as such, when speaking broadly a fairly neutral word should be used.

My question to you pit, is which word do you think should be used to describe a mental disorder when speaking broadly? Feel free to give your rationale.

Mental Abnormality
Mental illness.

In my experience, the people who do have a mental illness are less bothered by this than people who don't.
Mental Paradox - you could argue there is no mental 'abnormality' in anyone should 'real life' exist;

For example prove to me this isn't all just one big dream i'm having? And that this isn't all my imagination?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

You've mentioned the term I'd go for twice

EDIT:

Quote by uk.mace
Who's to say what's normal?

I say condition.

Technically speaking, the majority of people, I guess
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by Anthony1991
For example prove to me this isn't all just one big dream i'm having? And that this isn't all my imagination?

It's not a question of proving an objective reality - it's one of assessing whether a physical illness is causing a person to be unhappy with their life and/or unable to sustain themselves in the society that they depend on.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by ultimate-slash
You've mentioned the term I'd go for twice

I tried so hard not to show bias. I suck at making threads.
Quote by zombiak
Mental condition, yup. But I thought about 'mental issues' too, now that's pretty broad but on the other hand I feel that it has a slight negative connotation to it.

On the other hand, does mental condition imply it being a medical condition to you guys? I'm starting to feel that way, which would make it a bad word to use, since you can't assume all mental "___"'s are recognized mental conditions. So I guess condition has bad connotations to it as well.
Mental condition.

It's vague enough so that it includes most kinds of mental illnesses, yet specific enough about the fact it's handicap at the same time.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I tried so hard not to show bias. I suck at making threads.

Well you're going to be REALLY disappointed when I tell you he made a mistake counting; you actually said it three times.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Mental Ridiculousness?
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Well you're going to be REALLY disappointed when I tell you he made a mistake counting; you actually said it three times.

I wasn't even consistent with my bias. Anyways, I feel that I was wrong by saying condition, I don't think it's appropriate due to medical connotations. Anybody else who said condition agree with that, or no?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
On the other hand, does mental condition imply it being a medical condition to you guys? I'm starting to feel that way, which would make it a bad word to use, since you can't assume all mental "___"'s are recognized mental conditions. So I guess condition has bad connotations to it as well.

No. A condition is just the current state the related object (be it physical or "virtual") is in. By that definition everyone has a mental condition and hence no negative connotations can be made without inferring that everyone's brains are fúcked.
Mental clusterfuck?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by uk.mace
No. A condition is just the current state the related object (be it physical or "virtual") is in. By that definition everyone has a mental condition and hence no negative connotations can be made without inferring that everyone's brains are fúcked.

Aight. I'm curious why Colohue uses affliction now, condition seems to fit perfectly.
The term disorder does just fine really. It has the advantage over condition in that within the word is the implication that it must cause the person difficulty (therefore individual difference within the normal range cannot be said to be a mental disorder)
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Aight. I'm curious why Colohue uses affliction now, condition seems to fit perfectly.

Because using the word affliction in public makes you seem smart.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Because using the word affliction in public makes you seem smart.

I guess if you're specifically trying to cater for those whose brains don't function "normally" (I don't like to put it like that, but meh) then I guess affliction is a good description.
Quote by blue_strat
Mental illness.

In my experience, the people who do have a mental illness are less bothered by this than people who don't.

I don't think they get bothered much by anything. Except for connect-the-dots. Gets em every time.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by uk.mace

I guess if you're specifically trying to cater for those whose brains don't function "normally" (I don't like to put it like that, but meh) then I guess affliction is a good description.

I was just bein sarcastic.

...Wait, what I meant to say was...

The sole purpose of my previous statement was to obtain laughter, therefore acceptance, from my peers by introducing a facetious trait or value.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The term disorder does just fine really. It has the advantage over condition in that within the word is the implication that it must cause the person difficulty (therefore individual difference within the normal range cannot be said to be a mental disorder)

But do all mental conditions cause the person difficulty?

/Showing that I don't know much about psychology.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
But do all mental conditions cause the person difficulty?

/Showing that I don't know much about psychology.

The criteria for diagnoses for the vast majority of clinical disorders (as per the DSM-IV-TR) would include a criterion that states that the disorder must cause "social, occupational, familial, etc, dysfunction".
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The criteria for diagnoses for the vast majority of clinical disorders (as per the DSM-IV-TR) would include a criterion that states that the disorder must cause "social, occupational, familial, etc, dysfunction".

All right. I use disorder and condition interchangably in real life, I guess I'll have to stop using condition.

pretty much /thread

I am curious though, do you think affliction would work as well as disorder to describe a menal disorder? To me they pretty much imply the same thing.
I'm all for "Mental Midget", actually.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Removing connotations from the world, 'condition' alludes to being 'conditioned' and thus implies that you have been given the particular affliction.

'Affliction' implies that it is something that you have been 'afflicted' with, typically against your will, but carries no negative connotations.

Tangent is the right word by the way. That part was not at all in the script, but I'm sure you could hear where I stopped reading and just started talking.
Quote by Colohue

Tangent is the right word by the way. That part was not at all in the script, but I'm sure you could hear where I stopped reading and just started talking.

Yeah I could, I just found this really interesting. I had a feeling you would make it here, so I made it a point not to try and explain your own point.

Off topic: Are you going to do more lectures in the future? I think some of your own studies would be really interesting to hear you talk about.
It's likely. I could go into some serious depth with this stuff; it's just hard to find people interested in really learning how to do it.

I have something good in mind for the next one.

^ It will be if it passes the fact checkers, though it will be on the Community Radio rather than the actual UG Radio.
Last edited by Colohue at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by blue_strat
Was this a lecture on UG Radio?

Yeah, but this topic was only a 15 second (at most) tangent Colohue covered when he was just starting to get in to his rhythm. I felt that it deserved a slightly larger discussion, so I made the thread.

^Colohue, you should definately talk more about it. It is really interesting stuff, even if the Lecture circut doesn't go for it on a full scale (considering we have so many lecturers already, and the topic has such a wealth of information and things to discuss) you should make it readibly available in some form to UGers. I know that I would certainly be interested in hearing you go more in depth, and the Lecture Circut is probably limiting that for you. Maybe have some information available outside of the Lecture Circut that you can't fit in to the lectures?
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jun 9, 2010,
Page 1 of 2