Hey,

So it's my birthday, and though different events I've collected a nice sum together to spend on a new amp. I currently have around £900 (Roughly $1300).

So this is my spec:

I'm in a band, so I need something loud, I'm wanting tube too, it needs to keep up with a drummer and bassist. We're going to be gigging, so need a good volume.

We play classic rock mainly, modern rock, and a bit of metal. The priorities are in that order.

I play a Classic 50's Strat, and an Epi SG G400 Custom.

I use a few pedals, the chain is: Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop 535Q Crybaby > Digitech Whammy > MXR 10 Band EQ > EHX Big Muff Pi > Boss CE5 > Boss DD6

Ok, so what have you got for me?
There is only one option: second-hand Marshall stack. Marshall is the sound of classic rock.

DV247 have a "Laney Tony Iommi GH100TI & GS412LS Bundle" --> tube head and 4x12" cab for £890.51...

Marshall JVM205C 50W combo for £895...

ENGL Screamer 50 Combo for £882...

There are so many choices!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Don't go for a stack. They are too heavy to lug around and you have to start volume wars with your band to get the tubes to break up.
Quote by salgala2000
Marshall combo amp!!!!
i doubt you need more than 50 tube watts

A watt is a watt - there is no difference in power output between tube and solid state amps (assuming that they are the same rated power, of course). The frequency response can, however, be significantly different, and what you hear leads to the perception that tubes are louder. Get out your SPL meter and compare some amplifiers...

Long story short - don't propagate factual inaccuracies, especially when you claim it to be truth.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

About the tubes breaking up, I'll be using my Big Muff mainly, but yeah, wouldn't mind some sweet crunch from time to time.
Quote by salgala2000
Don't go for a stack. They are too heavy to lug around and you have to start volume wars with your band to get the tubes to break up.

There you go again. You would know this how? What stack do you have?

I own a Marshall TSL100 head and 4x12 cab, and I love it. It is rated to 100W, although apparently it's closer to 120W. Great, whatever. But it has a neat little feature that allows you cut out 3 of the 4 power amp valves (from memory?) so that the output is closer to 20W. Now, while not all amplifiers have this feature, it just goes to prove that you can in fact get a tube amp to 'break up' without having a volume war.

And even if I wanted to start a volume war - the other guitarist has a Mark V and the bassist has an M6 Carbine. I don't think I could ever be too loud.

Stop propagating lies!

That's my only other thing, my bassist doesn't have a particually loud amp, so I don't wanna overpower them completely, but I don't want to go for less just 'cause of that. That feature you mentioned would seem pretty nifty.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
That feature you mentioned would seem pretty nifty.

It is. So I have consulted the manual and it's called Virtual Power Reduction, and in fact what happens isn't exactly but all the power amp valves remain running... I don't quite understand it, but it works well, and means that you can play the amp in a small room or large club. Like I said, I have a Marshall TSL100 and I swear by it.

Quote by DeadlySurfer
Ah cool, I'd like the Marshall, but it's about £50 too much, without the cab :P

Well, you don't necessarily need the TSL100... I got the stack second hand for $1500 AUD, or about £860... so shop around dude. There are bargains to be had everywhere.