I say im a newbie, but ive been playing a few months, but im still learning and its taking a while for me to pick up the bass-ics (LOL). i have a Cort T34 in black with a Rainbow Sparkle finish, which is my baby and is called Esme. It has a Rosewood fretboard and the neck is Maple. heres a link so you can see it...

http://www.musik-service.de/cort-t-34-prx395768576en.aspx

you cant see the sparkles on this pic so... ill link this one too

http://www.suburbanmusiccenter.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=129

right... heres the technical details for my bass that i found on the link, im not really good with remembering details XD

Bolt-on construction
Agathis body
Maple neck
Modern "C" Shape
Rosewood fingerboard
Fingerboard radius 15 3/4" (400mm)
24 large fret
White Dot inlays
Scale length 34" (864mm)
EB7(4) bridge
EVL-F-35-4ST and EVL-R-35-4ST (H-H) pickup
Black hardware
Mutlicolor Sparkle Finish.

i can play ...
sugar were going down - fall out boy
dance dance - fall out boy
forever - twenty twenty

im half way through learning a few others like ...
im not okay - my chemical romance
gossip - you me at six
cassie - flyleaf

some stuff about myself... im 17, i sing in a band called Colour Me Stupid, im 5ft 3... about... lol.I love Pete Wentz, i think he is a good all round person. Business, music , writing and politics. bands i like include - FALLOUTBOY! Kids in glass houses, paramore, flyleaf, you me at six, twenty twenty, panic at the disco, the blackout, arma angelus, killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine, red jumpsuit apparatus.

is there any pretty simple starter songs that would be good for me to learn?

thank guys
Last edited by ColourMeLayla at Jun 9, 2010,
Well DanceDance is simple and a great song (I like FOB too but TTTYG and FUTCT are the best by far)
CrushCrushCrush is pretty simple, there are few slightly difficult bits but not too hard.

I recommend some Greenday, like Holiday and East Jesus Nowhere, and Blink 182, Carousel and Rock Show, because Mike Dirnt and Mark Hoppus don't write things that are that technically challenging, but they know how to make it sound great and fun

Btw, good band name

Edit : Didnt read post properly and I now realise you can already play DanceDance
If you're reading this, then chances are you're procrastinating too
Last edited by tomrgane at Jun 9, 2010,
I recommend "Another Brick in the Wall part 2" by Pink Floyd, great song with a fun little bass line.
Quote by tomrgane
Well DanceDance is simple and a great song (I like FOB too but TTTYG and FUTCT are the best by far)
CrushCrushCrush is pretty simple, there are few slightly difficult bits but not too hard.

I recommend some Greenday, like Holiday and East Jesus Nowhere, and Blink 182, Carousel and Rock Show, because Mike Dirnt and Mark Hoppus don't write things that are that technically challenging, but they know how to make it sound great and fun

Btw, good band name

Edit : Didnt read post properly and I now realise you can already play DanceDance

thanks, someones a greenday fan WAITING FTW

i was gonna learn hallelujah by paramore because i really like that song, but i mess up the timing on everything apart form the verse cuz its easy XD
i learn a lot by watching my boyfriend lol

i also make up random little exercises for myself to help with stretching my fingers cuz i have TINY hands. it used to hurt to stretch them but not as much anymore.
Quote by valdean
Cool blog.

thanks glad someones interested lol...
i know some people will not take me seriously cuz im a girl bass player. i dont actually play bass for my band but i play bass for fun and if i get better it can help with my band anyways.
Quote by tomrgane

i see what you eman by some more kinda fiddly bits
ill give it a go.
Verse 2

G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------4~--4-6-7-6-4-----------------------------------------------------------|
E|5~--7~----------------7---5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7-9-9-9-9-7-99-7-999-97--55-55-5-444-4-4|

it would take me a while to get used to the movement and whatever, cuz the songs ive looked at before are mainly strings of the same note then switch... or slower... ill print off a tab then ill give it a go
Quote by ColourMeLayla
i see what you eman by some more kinda fiddly bits
ill give it a go.
Verse 2

G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------4~--4-6-7-6-4-----------------------------------------------------------|
E|5~--7~----------------7---5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7-9-9-9-9-7-99-7-999-97--55-55-5-444-4-4|

it would take me a while to get used to the movement and whatever, cuz the songs ive looked at before are mainly strings of the same note then switch... or slower... ill print off a tab then ill give it a go

Yeah, my lil bro had some trouble with that bit (he plays bass I just pick it up and help ) but it's a great song and you only get beter by challenging yourself

Waiting's rgeat, well so's the entire Warning album, the bass in Warning might be something to try too
Quote by Derk'ed
Paramore are shit.

dude. nobody cares what you think of paramore. i asked for help, if you wanna help. suggest a simple song for a beginner on bass.
Quote by tomrgane
Waiting's rgeat, well so's the entire Warning album, the bass in Warning might be something to try too

thanks dude ill check out some of greendays stuff. i was thinking of learning Holiday cuz my boyfriend said its a good song for me to learn. :P
Quote by Derk'ed
Paramore are shit.

So's your face

Seriously, what's the point? I don't like them much either but you're just going to get yourself banned.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by gilly_90
So's your face

Seriously, what's the point? I don't like them much either but you're just going to get yourself banned.

^ win

personally i love them, i find that all the band are talented and i enjoy their music.
Quote by ColourMeLayla
thanks dude ill check out some of greendays stuff. i was thinking of learning Holiday cuz my boyfriend said its a good song for me to learn. :P

It is great, hurts your fingers a bit though
Quote by ColourMeLayla
talented
Really now, maybe the singer but instruments eh no it's okay though you obviously havent't played bass for a long time hopefully your skills will progress further than paramore,green day, and fallout boy.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Hysteria by Muse is a good one to learn. That was one of the first songs I learned on bass. I think the other songs I learned when I was starting out were 46 & 2 by Tool, and Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine.

thanks my boyfriend can play hysteria.... it would confuse me at this stage haha XD
Quote by Ta0
Really now, maybe the singer but instruments eh no it's okay though you obviously havent't played bass for a long time hopefully your skills will progress further than paramore,green day, and fallout boy.

i like this type of music so even if i do get better then ill still play it haha.

i enjoy their music.
jeremy is a good bassist. hayley is an awesome singer. zac is epic... josh and taylor are great too ...
dont forget to learn scales too helps when creating original basslines, not pickin at ya! just sayin to try learning some basics aswell as your favorite songs, proper hand technique etc, make sure ya stretch the fingers(i strained a tendon overusing a bass once, hadnt touched one in ages and my pinky didnt appreciate it!) the Ramones have some fun basslines too
Quote by ColourMeLayla
i like this type of music so even if i do get better then ill still play it haha.

i enjoy their music.
jeremy is a good bassist. hayley is an awesome singer. zac is epic... josh and taylor are great too ...
Maybe you'll be inspired somehow by all that remains they have a female bassist.
Last edited by Ta0 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by jfreyvogel

This is a great resource along with FAQ if you are just learning to play.

And Derk'ed warned for spam.
Getting sweaty...

Too hot around the neck, must remove neckchief......

A female on the Bass forum(no offense tam) well this is a surprise.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by ColourMeLayla
thanks glad someones interested lol...
i know some people will not take me seriously cuz im a girl bass player. i dont actually play bass for my band but i play bass for fun and if i get better it can help with my band anyways.

I don't think its that as much as that was maybe a bit much more info than needed. lol.
ontopic: I find that just playing around is better for building skill, I find myself getting distracted when trying to find tabs. Start out with songs you know REALLY well and have pretty simple bass lines, then you don't have to look up the song to see the timing, and having to get it right, etc. Good luck!
Welcome to the forums!

if you like Paramore, check out Fences. Not particularly hard, but it's really fun to play and one of their bests IMO.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
hmmm id recommend a party song(the walk of shame) by all time low...its soooo easy...basically any blink 182 song...n since we're on pop punk u should check out MxPx...great band, simple basslines
I hope I was able to help
Quote by fleajr_1412
Welcome to the forums!

if you like Paramore, check out Fences. Not particularly hard, but it's really fun to play and one of their bests IMO.

Fences is by far Paramore's best song in terms of basslines, My Heart is fairly good too, but what I've found is that branching out into different genres of music will help you just as much, if not more, than learning yet another pop punk bassline. Try: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica a really simple and fun song. And don't lisetning to anyone giving you shit about Paramore, I've loved them ever since I've heard Hallejuah.
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
I would just learn the FOB discography. I don't imagine it to be that hard.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i know some one suggested hysteria by muse and while i think that it would be a great "let's learn this over 5 weeks" endeavor...it may seem to have the learning curve of a brick wall for some. If you like muse, might i suggest "Time is running out" for finger independence and stretching, or even "starlight" for walking patterns and timing.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by ColourMeLayla
thanks, someones a greenday fan WAITING FTW

I also make up random little exercises for myself to help with stretching my fingers cuz i have TINY hands. it used to hurt to stretch them but not as much anymore.

If you like Green Day, try Geek Stink Breath. Nice bass line and yet not too difficult.

Try chromatic exercises for finger strengthening. Get a hold of Bass Fitness by Josquin Des Pres:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=30

It will get your fingers in shape and greatly improve your playing. Start the exercises at slow speed and work your way up. Use a metronome. You'll get there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'll stop the spam.
Green Day: Longview and Basket Case have good basslines. I love basket case because its simple and theres loads of fills you can add in.
Quote by fatgoogle
Getting sweaty...

Too hot around the neck, must remove neckchief......

A female on the Bass forum(no offense tam) well this is a surprise.

how is it a suprise, or is this sarcasm lmao...

thanks for everyones help ill be sure to check out some of the songs youve suggested....

i will give it a go..
Quote by ColourMeLayla
how is it a suprise, or is this sarcasm lmao...

No women on the internet, obviously
why is it necessary to inform us that you're a girl?
Quote by UtBDan

You in particular? I want you to **** off and die.
studybass.com Check it out.

And welcome to the forums. There seems to be enough song recommendations out there already so Im just gonna say learn your theory, It's super important.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Try some Nirvana (smells like teen spirit, thier lake of fire cover, etc) not too far from some of the bands you mentioned but fun to play. Definatly some Green day,