Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjD1OFhsSo&feature=related

He claims to have played the guitar for only three weeks. Do you think it's possible? Those licks aren't really hard to play, but I highly doubt that he has developed his vibrato and bending technique, as well as his precise playing, in just three weeks.

Your opinions?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
I got that down in an hour.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I didn't mean he used three weeks to learn that, but he's only been playing the guitar for three weeks.
Quote by apple_apple

Quote by fearofthemark

+ 1
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
Quote by GuitarViking
I didn't mean he used three weeks to learn that, but he's only been playing the guitar for three weeks.

I know. I got that down in an hour. I was doing 10 finger tapping within a week.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I guess it's possible if he's been playing violin or something like that for a while
I think that's entirely possible. If he knows the song really well that'd make it easier. Depends if he's ever played another instrument before. He may have been practising that and only that for quite a while. So I think it's possible.
Quote by fearofthemark

I can get that down after five minutes, but that's not the point. The point is that he claims to have started playing guitar three weeks before he played that. Not likely at all.

EDIT:

Quote by leg end
I think that's entirely possible. If he knows the song really well that'd make it easier. Depends if he's ever played another instrument before. He may have been practising that and only that for quite a while. So I think it's possible.

I agree that he could nail it fast if he practised that and only that, but I mean three weeks? A total beginner?
The first week your fingers hurt so badly that you're having trouble playing just because of that. And then he's supposedly learned how to bend a perfect full tone easily, as well as having a good vibrato and alternate picking well. I don't think it's likely.
Quote by apple_apple

Last edited by GuitarViking at Jun 9, 2010,
Mozart was composing at the age of five. Perhaps this guy is some kind of savant.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by GuitarViking
I can get that down after five minutes, but that's not the point. The point is that he claims to have started playing guitar three weeks before he played that. Not likely at all.

He might have played a mean ukelele
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by GuitarViking
Check your humorometer, I think it might be broken.
He's okay I guess.

If he knew the theory beforehand, he might have actually learnt that in 3 weeks.

Edit: Even if it's more than three weeks, I still believe that he's recently began playing, you can note it when you look at his bends and vibrato, he bends with his fingers, and not with his wrist.

And it's fully possible that he had played piano or any other instrument before guitar.
DeVillains!
Last edited by Ylasto at Jun 9, 2010,
He probably already mastered it on guitar heroes on extreme. Now with nothing left to strive for he tries to learn it in real life.
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

CIJ 72 RE Custom Tele
Laney AOR Pro tube 30W
Seems easy enough to play, but I agree, his vibrato sounds a little too good for a 3 weeker.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Check your humorometer, I think it might be broken.

Humorometer? WTF has that got to do with anything? I've never even heard of one of those.

/very bad attempt to restore my humour-reputation
Quote by apple_apple

Quote by GuitarViking
Humorometer? WTF has that got to do with anything? I've never even heard of one of those.

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Why is everyone obsessed with that hideous vibrato that everyone uses these days. It just makes your guitar sound out of tune and is akin to Spanish/Middle Eastern babble.

But aside that, he's not playing anything difficult, so I have no doubt he could be playing for less than three weeks.

If he dove right in to pentatonics from the get go then he surely could have gotten that proficient.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by piop
I guess it's possible if he's been playing violin or something like that for a while

I was just going to say this.

I played violin for years before picking up Guitar, and from that I already had the finger control and the control of using my right and left hand separately in that manner (right hand striking the note and left hand as string placement)

I was probably able to play something like this fairly quickly when I started playing guitar (not quite 3 weeks probably, but still rather quickly)

If he got a guitar, knew this song real well (which, if you learn a song, you probably do) and just spent a great deal of time practicing, I'm sure it's possible.

My biggest belief is that he was already a musician and played a similar instrument already.
IE, Not something like Piano which develops different fine motor skills that would not apply as easily.

If he claims to have never played another instrument, then I do not believe this for a second.
It takes longer than that to develop that kind of finger dexterity.

In short, this is not a matter of how difficult the licks are but a matter of actual physical control of his hands and fingers that take longer to develop when you have no previous experience in doing similar tasks.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Last edited by NaivexLi at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by CL/\SH
Why is everyone obsessed with that hideous vibrato that everyone uses these days. It just makes your guitar sound out of tune and is akin to Spanish/Middle Eastern babble.

But aside that, he's not playing anything difficult, so I have no doubt he could be playing for less than three weeks.

If he dove right in to pentatonics from the get go then he surely could have gotten that proficient.

>looks at user title

>
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

It might not be three weeks, maybe it is though, but you can definitely see he's a beginner. He's got pretty shitty technique actually. Only downstrokes, vibrato and bends with his finger instead of his wrist. Not meaning to hate, cause he's definitely got a good sense of music I think.
Maybe he's like had three weeks worth of practice so he will have 168 hours of practice at the song
Quote by NaivexLi

If he claims to have never played another instrument, then I do not believe this for a second.
It takes longer than that to develop that kind of finger dexterity.

That was my immediate impression. I didn't think of the fact the he might have played another instrument before.
Quote by apple_apple

Quote by GuitarViking
That it was, indeed.

ZEDIT: On topic, I'm guessing he might have played some sort of string instrument before. As has been stated.
Well its quite possible seeing as he hasnt discovered up strokes yet lol.
Quote by GuitarViking

Just stop.

NAO.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by fearofthemark
>looks at user title

>

I'll explain. Anyone who plays violin uses the kind of vibrato that I use, it sounds much more 'clean,' so to speak.

People don't usually understand that kind of vibrato just sounds nasty, because it's very hard to hear it when you are playing. Record a video of yourself using that crazy vibrato, then again using that violin vibrato (slide your finger up and down which ever string you're on within the fret at the tempo of your choosing.)

Pay attention to the guys vibrato in particular, actually listen to the song and how disruptive and awful sounding that vibrato is.

Edit: I think demon guitarist can vouch for what I'm saying here, that vibrato IS terrible.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jun 9, 2010,
yea i think he propably played another instrument before and switched to guitar cause his tone sucks and he is pulling his fingers kilometers away from fretboard
Or he is poser, played longer but cant do sh*t so he's playing a "beginner-pro"
Quote by Ylasto
He's okay I guess.

If he knew the theory beforehand, he might have actually learnt that in 3 weeks.

Edit: Even if it's more than three weeks, I still believe that he's recently began playing, you can note it when you look at his bends and vibrato, he bends with his fingers, and not with his wrist.

And it's fully possible that he had played piano or any other instrument before guitar.

Plus the fact it isnt hard to learn a tab, I think he would probably cack himself if you offered to jam or improvisise with him.

He also has shit taste in Maiden albums.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
To me, it seems that he is using only downstrokes. Plus his vibrato sounds like a mosquito that doesn't let you sleep at night - absolutely AWFUL!!!
Considering the way he curls his pinkie and how simple the song is i don't think its that hard to get that down in 3 weeks. I mean his rendition is very much like that of any average noob. Good vibrato for 3 weeks though i bet he played cello or something-.-
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
if he has a lot of experience with a stringed instrument then maybe, but even thats a stretch. Otherwise, not a chance in hell
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I don't understand why TS cares...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by CL/\SH
I'll explain. Anyone who plays violin uses the kind of vibrato that I use, it sounds much more 'clean,' so to speak.

People don't usually understand that kind of vibrato just sounds nasty, because it's very hard to hear it when you are playing. Record a video of yourself using that crazy vibrato, then again using that violin vibrato (slide your finger up and down which ever string you're on within the fret at the tempo of your choosing.)

Pay attention to the guys vibrato in particular, actually listen to the song and how disruptive and awful sounding that vibrato is.

Edit: I think demon guitarist can vouch for what I'm saying here, that vibrato IS terrible.

ahhh. but guitar has frets, which prevent that type of vibrato O_O
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

his vibrato sucks dogshit.
as many before me have mentioned, he's wiggling his fingers.
and what he played isnt all that hard either. on the other hand if it was gary moore or some bluesy shit with lots of emotion it would have been something worth bragging about.
yeah i can believe he did that in three weeks.
Quote by CL/\SH

I think the problem is not the technique, but how one uses it. Its just that the guy on the video has no control over his vibrato, which makes it all twangy and annoying.
It would sound nicer if he'd slow it down and maybe use a bit wider vibrato.
Page 1 of 2