Hi guys,

Lately I have been getting hiss I believe from my power amp. It seems when I turn the level past half way I get hiss through my speakers, and when I turn the level down the hiss goes away. My current rig is set up like this: tuner > Engl e530 > FX loop send > G major 2 > Sonic maximizer > FX loop return > Engl e530 > Mesa 2:100. I'm not a rack master so I'm not to sure what's causing it or how to fix it. So any advice or theories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Check cable connections, try different cables, try different outlets, etc. Lots of variables can cause hiss. Maybe look into a power conditioner too...mine gets rid of a lot of power noise from my rig.
Quote by eyebanez333
Check cable connections, try different cables, try different outlets, etc. Lots of variables can cause hiss. Maybe look into a power conditioner too...mine gets rid of a lot of power noise from my rig.

Thanks for the fast reply. What are a good brand of cable to use in guitar racks? Also what's a good power conditioner? I was thinking of investing in one and some point as I here good things about then.
I have George L wires in my rack and pedalboard...I bought a couple of the kits where you make your own custom length cables. Furman makes great power conditioners.
Quote by eyebanez333
I have George L wires in my rack and pedalboard...I bought a couple of the kits where you make your own custom length cables. Furman makes great power conditioners.

Cheers I'll take a look. Also are those cables shielded? I heard it's better to use shielded cables in a rack, I don't know if this is true or not...
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
Cheers I'll take a look. Also are those cables shielded? I heard it's better to use shielded cables in a rack, I don't know if this is true or not...

Yeah instrument cables are shielded. Have you checked all your cables and tried a different power outlet for the hiss problem?
Quote by eyebanez333
Yeah instrument cables are shielded. Have you checked all your cables and tried a different power outlet for the hiss problem?

Yeah I have checked the cables, they're all connected properly. When I used to have just my power amp and preamp, I never got any hiss. It seems to have come when I got my G major and sonic maximizer.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
Yeah I have checked the cables, they're all connected properly. When I used to have just my power amp and preamp, I never got any hiss. It seems to have come when I got my G major and sonic maximizer.

OK that's a start...try taking them both out of the loop again and see if the hiss is gone.

If so, put the gmajor back in, check for hiss again...if its quiet...V

Put the BBE in the loop too...if the hiss is back, its the BBE. Just use elimination to find the problem.

--You could also try changing the order...BBE first...Gmajor first. If the BBE is first...and you have a high treble setting...the smallest noise could be getting enhanced by the settings on the Gmajor...and by the time it gets to your power amp, it's hissing like crazy.
Quote by eyebanez333
OK that's a start...try taking them both out of the loop again and see if the hiss is gone.

If so, put the gmajor back in, check for hiss again...if its quiet...V

Put the BBE in the loop too...if the hiss is back, its the BBE. Just use elimination to find the problem.

--You could also try changing the order...BBE first...Gmajor first. If the BBE is first...and you have a high treble setting...the smallest noise could be getting enhanced by the settings on the Gmajor...and by the time it gets to your power amp, it's hissing like crazy.

Right I have just checked.

Power amp + preamp= No hiss

Sonic maximizer in the FX loop = hiss

G major in the FX loop = hiss

So the conclusion I came up with was. It seems to be whatever goes the the Engl's FX loop seems to cause hiss.
Hmm...Interesting...is there a control knob for the effects loop level on the ENGL? maybe that's up too high? When mine gets too high on the XXX the loop gets fizzy sounding...

Otherwise, try different cables for the loop on the ENGL...maybe one of those cables is bad.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
Hmm...Interesting...is there a control knob for the effects loop level on the ENGL? maybe that's up too high? When mine gets too high on the XXX the loop gets fizzy sounding...

Otherwise, try different cables for the loop on the ENGL...maybe one of those cables is bad.

Na, it doesn't have an FX control knob. It has a line out control which is set to 0db. I've been through all my cables nothing seems to work.. Does the position they're put in the rack have any effect on this kind of thing?
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
Na, it doesn't have an FX control knob. It has a line out control which is set to 0db. I've been through all my cables nothing seems to work.. Does the position they're put in the rack have any effect on this kind of thing?

No idea...I'm stumped *scratches head*

Bump for any ideas from other people
There isn't a ton of people on UG who use rack setups...but this really isn't a rack question...its more of an effects loop problem it seems.

I reposted your question on another forum too. 'Any ground lift switches anywhere?' was the only response so far.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 9, 2010,
Other responses from the other forum:

-run the gmajor and bbe between the ENGL and MESA...just not use the loop....so tuner>ENGL>gmajor>BBE>mesa.

-change tubes in the ENGL...one of them could be for the effects loop...and it could be going bad.
Quote by eyebanez333
There isn't a ton of people on UG who use rack setups...but this really isn't a rack question...its more of an effects loop problem it seems.

I reposted your question on another forum too. 'Any ground lift switches anywhere?' was the only response so far.

Yeah, I may have to re-post then. There is a ground lift switch on my power amp which it is set to at the moment. The other option on it was 'ground', which I tried and it made the hiss even worse. Thanks for your help tho.
Quote by eyebanez333
Other responses from the other forum:

-run the gmajor and bbe between the ENGL and MESA...just not use the loop....so tuner>ENGL>gmajor>BBE>mesa.

-change tubes in the ENGL...one of them could be for the effects loop...and it could be going bad.

I could try that. Do you mean use the line out instead of the FX loop?
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
I could try that. Do you mean use the line out instead of the FX loop?

I would try this first...tuner to ENGL input...line out from ENGL to gmajor input...gmajor output to BBE input...BBE output to Mesa input. Just keep in mind you'll have to turn the line level up if its set to 0 currently.
Quote by eyebanez333
I would try this first...tuner to ENGL input...line out from ENGL to gmajor input...gmajor output to BBE input...BBE output to Mesa input. Just keep in mind you'll have to turn the line level up if its set to 0 currently.

It's still hissing.. I might just need new tubes or something then. Or have the level on my power amp turned down to half and just turn the volume up on my preamp.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
It's still hissing.. I might just need new tubes or something then. Or have the level on my power amp turned down to half and just turn the volume up on my preamp.

New tubes wouldn't hurt...especially if they haven't been changed in awhile. What are your levels on the ENGL and Mesa as far as volume?
Quote by eyebanez333
New tubes wouldn't hurt...especially if they haven't been changed in awhile. What are your levels on the ENGL and Mesa as far as volume?

On the mesa I have the volume level sent at full and then just adjust the volume to how loud I want it on the preamp.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
On the mesa I have the volume level sent at full and then just adjust the volume to how loud I want it on the preamp.

I would try doing something different...setting the volume at 3/4 to full on the preamp...and then adjusting your overall volume on the power amp. I could see having the power amp cranked to full...while just giving the preamp a little volume could lead to noise.
Quote by eyebanez333
I would try doing something different...setting the volume at 3/4 to full on the preamp...and then adjusting your overall volume on the power amp. I could see having the power amp cranked to full...while just giving the preamp a little volume could lead to noise.

I just tried this, and it works! The hiss seems to have gone. Thank-you for your help
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
I just tried this, and it works! The hiss seems to have gone. Thank-you for your help

I'm glad...thats too nice of a setup to have and not get to enjoy it