I just picked up a Digitech RP1000.

I'm curious to know if anyone would be interested in reading about a shootout between the RP1000 and the X3 Live?

I'm thinking about writing up something in depth. So it would be quite long, but informative.

If you're interested, what would you enjoy seeing compared?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jun 9, 2010,
How well they emulate the tones of the amps they attempt to model. And does the rp support dual signal chains like the pod?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
well the chassis on the POD X3 Live is alot of plastic sooo the digitech might win but i guess its a matter of who shoots first and IS the POD X3 bringing a shotgun??? J/K!!!!!!

ok my serious response:

i mainly use my POD X3 for quite play with headphones but the clean tones on the POD X3 to me seem a bit unresponsive unless compressed...would be curious to how the RP1000 handles cleans...
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
well the chassis on the POD X3 Live is alot of plastic sooo the digitech might win but i guess its a matter of who shoots first and IS the POD X3 bringing a shotgun??? J/K!!!!!!

ok my serious response:

i mainly use my POD X3 for quite play with headphones but the clean tones on the POD X3 to me seem a bit unresponsive unless compressed...would be curious to how the RP1000 handles cleans...

Not sure what my POD X3 Live is made of, but it sure doesn't feel like cheap plastic. To be honest with you, they both feel as solid as each other.

But I'll save that for the shootout.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Any amp models they have in common would be a great point of comparison. Also any effects they both have, that can be set identical. Basically anything they both do EXACTLY the same, so that we can hear the real differences and not setting differences.

Will you be DIing this into your recording gear? That'd be best for comparison, I think.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Any amp models they have in common would be a great point of comparison. Also any effects they both have, that can be set identical. Basically anything they both do EXACTLY the same, so that we can hear the real differences and not setting differences.

Will you be DIing this into your recording gear? That'd be best for comparison, I think.

I'm thinking about recording some clips, so yes. I believe that hearing the two side-by-side would be helpful in determining which would work best for you.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
I'm thinking about recording some clips, so yes. I believe that hearing the two side-by-side would be helpful in determining which would work best for you.

I meant as opposed to micing an amp...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I think there are too many variables involved with micing an amp to get an accurate depiction of tone. What amp I'm using, what mic I'm using etc.

Besides, the shootout would be the Pod vs the RP1000. So I think it would be best to hear the two recorded via USB. I'll most likely be using Adobe Audition for the audio clips.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
I think there are too many variables involved with micing an amp to get an accurate depiction of tone. What amp I'm using, what mic I'm using etc.

Besides, the shootout would be the Pod vs the RP1000. So I think it would be best to hear the two recorded via USB. I'll most likely be using Adobe Audition for the audio clips.

Ya that was my only point... Pretty obvious I guess, but I'm a psychology geek so controlling variables is my thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I would like to see an endurance test. Drop them both from 3 feet, then increase it by one foot each succession, until one has some sort of issue (cracked LCD, explosion, etc)

ready... GO!

On a more serious note, any amp/modulation that they both have in common. It would be nice to see them compared in both a headphone and PA situation, as I'm sure some people would bring this toy gigging, and some just want to not have a pissed off girlfriend.

Which one will come out ahead of the pack? We shall see...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Alex Vik
Is there a way you could borrow a bass? Cause I'd love hearing the differences between the two for bass.

I do not believe the RP1000 does any bass amp modeling.

Only the X3 Live does that.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
I do not believe the RP1000 does any bass amp modeling.

Only the X3 Live does that.

Doesn't it have a Bassman model? Even if that was the only model I could use for bass, if it sounded good, I'd be fine.
Quote by Alex Vik
Doesn't it have a Bassman model? Even if that was the only model I could use for bass, if it sounded good, I'd be fine.

I'm sorry. The RP1000 wasn't intended to be used with Bass guitars.

I can tell you right now which will sound better.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I've been comparing the two heavily over the course of the last month.

I wanted to do a FULL review and cover every aspect. Rather then just stating which I liked better. You can expect my comparison to be posted in the next couple of days.

Be warned though, its going to be long-winded.

James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
throw up the shootout, i have an x3 live that i havent played in a long time and i am interested how it fairs vs the digitech. I kind of recall hearing that the digitech was better for effects but that the line6 had much better amp modeling.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by theraven871
I just picked up a Digitech RP1000.

I'm curious to know if anyone would be interested in reading about a shootout between the RP1000 and the X3 Live?

I'm thinking about writing up something in depth. So it would be quite long, but informative.

If you're interested, what would you enjoy seeing compared?

Oh that'd be sweet man. I'm saving for a X3 and I really dont know much about the rest of the pedal boards on the market. It'd be cool to know how it compares in the different areas (sound, recording, etc.)

Edit: I'll most likely forget about this thread. Would you mind PMing me when you have it done in case I do? Thanks

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 18, 2010,
rp1000 (question):

'01 Mesa/Boogie Dual Rec. head - '65 fender blackface deluxe cab model + ts808(as boost)
flanger + echo plex + chorus + reverb (w. 808 to boost the excisting amp
modeled distortion) all going simotaniously??? is this all possible??
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Sorry that it has taken so long. I've been busy the last couple of weeks.
I'm VERY close to finishing this comparison. The problem is that it has grown HUGE as I think I dove a bit too deep into it.

I'll probably have to post it on my personal website. You can be sure that if I do, links will be posted in this thread.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Can't wait to read it! This will come in very handy, I've been trying to decide on a unit like this for a couple of months now. Thanks in advance!
Gear:

PRS SE Singlecut Trem Black
ProDrive Tube 30w Amp
Valencia CG-170 (acoustic)
Sorry about double posting but we never heard of you again. Did you complete the comparison?
Gear:

PRS SE Singlecut Trem Black
ProDrive Tube 30w Amp
Valencia CG-170 (acoustic)
If you would like, I can post it here tonight.

However, it seems that I decided to do a comparison a bit too late as now the new Pod series is coming out.

Still, for those of you that want it, I will get it posted.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Please do