Well after just having commented on another user's thread in Musicians Talk about rhythm and strumming I have run across yet another problem with my strumming that's crept up on me again. From any of my previous posts you all know that I'm mostly a fingerpicker and that's really all I've ever done but I can strum when I have to. Recently I've gotten into a lot of songs that require strumming and the problems I'm having are of course on the upstrums. I just can't seem to get past hitting the high e string so hard that it becomes the only string you can really hear and it's annoying. What about changing to a super thin pick? It could just be me being too critical but I'm looking for any insight you can provide. I do understand that at best I might only be able to hit the first 3 strings or so on the upstrum but this high ringing is driving me nuts.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
when i'm playing rhythm i prefer thinner picks. seems to help keep all the strings at the same volume.
You need to concentrate on getting your pick to sweep directly down in front of the strings, rather than at an angle, causing you to smack the high e. Keep your wrist cocked and move at the elbow. Soon enough you'll know exactly where each string is, just like you can fingerpick strings without looking to identify each string. It just takes a bit of practice.

I used a Dunlop Tortex 0.88mm pick for electric and a 0.96mm for acoustic, which is heavier than most, or so I have been led to believe. But I have never had a problem with it. I don't think a light or heavy pick is the solution.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Last edited by seemeel at Jun 9, 2010,
changing picks shouldn't do too much in fixing the problem. In my experience it more changes the tone than the intensity. If i were to guess, I'd say you're starting the upstroke too hard and lightening as you draw upwards. Try strumming at different speeds from both your elbow and wrist. That should help you diagnose the issue a little better.

also, as seemeel pointed out, it may be your pick angle.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot