I need more distortion for my amp. Everywhere I look says that the two best distortion/overdrive pedals are the Boss DS-1 and the Ibanez Tubescreamer. I understand that the DS-1 is distortion and the Tubescreamer is overdrive. How would these affect my tone differently?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Well, the DS-1 is crap, and the Tubescreamer is mostly used as a clean boost. I'd look at something different than those two for distortion, considering solid state amps don't benefit from clean boosts at all.
Any suggestions?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
their both used as overdrives
if you just want more gain you could put a tubescreamer or ds-1 infront of the amp with no gain and the level on full it makes your amp abit noisy and theres a hum everytime you stop playing
but it works alright for at home
You probably don't know find settings for your amp? Isn't a Flextone a modeler, if so use a high-gain model. Alot of gain isn't necessary, but what sound are you going for? Band names?
Current Equipment

-ESP LTD F-50
-Ibanez RG120
-Peavey Vypyr 30 x2
-Hondo Les Paul 79'
-Marshalls MG10
-Boss DS-1 Pedal
Last edited by Imapinkboi at Jun 9, 2010,
Also btw I have a DS-1, you only got two choices on it, too little distortion or too much. Plus like guy above alot of feedback on the DS1, making sweeping and tremolo picking sound like two guitars playing at once but a little of pace.
Current Equipment

-ESP LTD F-50
-Ibanez RG120
-Peavey Vypyr 30 x2
-Hondo Les Paul 79'
-Marshalls MG10
-Boss DS-1 Pedal
yeah the gear page regulars are big fans of the ds1. I hear robben ford used one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
umm where are you looking.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
didn't you read my post, min? it's clear he's been lurking at tgp!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, the DS-1 is crap, and the Tubescreamer is mostly used as a clean boost. I'd look at something different than those two for distortion, considering solid state amps don't benefit from clean boosts at all.

firstly, get off the bandwagon, and secondly, get off the bandwagon.

the DS-1 can be a decent enough pedal if the rest of your rig and your ability to play is strong enough. I know a professional player who uses a DS-1, and gets some really outstanding tones from it - because he's a good player. Although i will point out whenever i see him play he's running a matchless C30 amp with a selection of '50s and '60s gibson guitars, a '63 fender strat and a rickenbacker tom petty signature.. obviously that contributes to the tone more than a cheap pedal will, but the pedal certainly doesn't take anything away from it. They are very transparent though and will sound sterile through an "average" rig, and unless you're specifically looking for that, there are many better options.

Also the tubescreamer being "mostly" used as a clean boost is true to a certain extent although people do also put a little bit of the pedals own gain in the mix when they are using it as a boost, but they are also pretty good as a stand-alone dirtbox - they sure are smoother and more "organic" sounding than your average solid state amp's overdrive channel.

to answer the original question:

in general terms, "distortion" is what happens to the sound you get from an amp when you push it into "overdrive" (where you are 'driving' the amp too hard). However, guitarists tend to distinguish between them as 2 different things, where distortion is harsh and rough sounding, whereas overdrive is softer and smoother sounding. So the DS-1 will give you a very very harsh, crackly sound which i guess you either love or you hate, whereas the tubescreamer would give you a smooth, warm sound which is generally how more guitarists want their "dirty" tones to sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
stop trying to rerail the thread!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blompcube
firstly, get off the bandwagon, and secondly, get off the bandwagon.

Since when does "heavy use of said pedal and hearing others use said pedal" count as a bandwagon?

I used the DS-1 for 20 minutes with a Gibson V through a Marshall JVM410 and a Vox VT100, tweaked the hell out of it, and couldn't get a passable tone out of it at all. I clicked through all of the clean amp models on the Vox, and got no good results.
can't explain it through the JVM
but no analog pedal sounds good through a modelling amp
(means it's even more less suitable for TS but i run a sd-1 into my flextone as an OD and get a pretty good sound)
Quote by Alex Vik
Since when does "heavy use of said pedal and hearing others use said pedal" count as a bandwagon?

I used the DS-1 for 20 minutes with a Gibson V through a Marshall JVM410 and a Vox VT100, tweaked the hell out of it, and couldn't get a passable tone out of it at all. I clicked through all of the clean amp models on the Vox, and got no good results.

well perhaps it's not a bandwagon but i've seen too many bandwagoners say exactly the same thing about both pedals.. and this being UG, it's the natural assumption that any statement that resembles the typical bandwagon statements = bandwagon.. i wouldn't say 20 minutes is heavy usage though

and with a marshall JVM it was probably something you were doing wrong. i find that generally the people who get good tones from the DS-1 do it by running it into a tube amp which is boosted just slightly past it's clean headroom. it rounds off those nasty edges nicely.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by GoIrish668
Any suggestions?
English Muff'n, Jekyll & Hyde, Big Muff, Rat. All good pedals.