hi

from september i'm going to be living in a small shared house in bristol for university, and will need a cheap, small practice amp for the room i'm going to be staying in as it's a very small room (can't afford anywhere bigger to stay). I have a fender champ, which with a decent overdrive like an ibanez TS9 would be ideal, except i might need to play with headphones too. so i'm going to need a solid state.

i know cheap solid states are generally crap, but are there any "decent" ones out there within about the £50-£100 price range? i'm only looking for a 10-15watt practice amp. I can't afford anything "good" because i have to pay a £300 deposit on the house before i start living there.. many guitars may have to be sold

I would be quite happy with a marshall MG15FX but i do think it's a bit unnecessary to pay extra for all those features i don't need, and the same goes for all these modellers.

anyone have any experience with the vox pathfinder models? i don't really want a modeller because i would rather just have a simple analog solid state with a tone that works 'well enough' for bedroom practice and home recording.

also there is a little marshall 'lead 12' going cheap in a local shop which i will check out at some point. but does anyone have any other suggestions that i might've overlooked?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well I would stick with your Champ and a TS for when you play loud and without headphones and then when you want to play with headphones you should look into something like Guitar Rig 4 or another amp software. Those can come with a nice audio interface for right around 100 bucks. Orrrrr you can just get an audio interface and find the free software(s) out there that many people like.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
This may be a time to look at a multi FX unit with a headphone out and DI recording capacity.
thanks for the suggestions so far

it seems most suggestions are digital modelling stuff, which is all good for versatility but i don't get on well with multi-fx and software amps and stuff, i'd prefer to have more of a "plug n play" setup. I know i'm not going to get the best of tones this way but i find that having too many bells and whistles takes my focus away from actually playing the guitar a bit too much

I've been looking at youtube, the vox pathfinder 15R seems to sound good, and so does the marshall lead 12 (better than the MG anyway - i think it's the predecessor of what turned into the MG series! it's pretty old, i'm gonna try it next time i go into that shop if its still there).. i know youtube isn't really a good thing to judge anything from though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Bingt
Squier SP-10

This is a joke, right?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
No love for the vypyr?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i've got a pathfinder... unless you're really after the vox tone (and even then), i reckon a modeller would be better. EDIT: i have the 15, not 15r.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id go with a roland microcube bro. Great Great quality sound for what it is, many options. Versatile as you can play plugged in the wall or off batteries, as well as a strap so when that irritating nosey neighbor pushes all your buttons you can tote it outside and fire some jams back over the fence at em. LOL never done that last one but saw a guy do it on youtube. All in all for what youre asking for i dont think the micro cube will dissapoint. It'll outperform many crates and others of larger sizes.
Carlo Robelli Acoustic electric (Tobbaco Sunburst)
Silvertone Revolver SS11 (Tobbaco Sunburst)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Curly Maple)
Stokker silvertone amp (BLEHHH)
Roland Micro Cube Amplifier
Vox Amplug
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've got a pathfinder... unless you're really after the vox tone (and even then), i reckon a modeller would be better. EDIT: i have the 15, not 15r.

is the pathfinder passable or at least half decent sounding? i know this is a hard concept for a lot of UGers to grasp and it's just as hard to explain, but i don't like modellers because they just sound a bit too 'manufactured' to me. So i want something analogue. I'd rather have a marshall MG15FX than a roland cube or peavey vypyr or anything like that - i'd honestly much prefer a bit of a compromise on the tone quality for a proper analog amplifier with its own tone, rather than something digital that's trying to be something it isn't, even if it sounds 'better' in the process.

^i've been meaning to try the amplugs, someone at college today recommended that i look at amplugs too.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 10, 2010,
TS, i know you like decent solid state tones cus i've seen your posts and i do too ;D I'd recommend a pignose amp, they're like the original solid state practice amps, i'm considering getting one just for travel and that i love midrangey fuzz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09IoM2lRZU
Quote by Zoot Allures
TS, i know you like decent solid state tones cus i've seen your posts and i do too ;D I'd recommend a pignose amp, they're like the original solid state practice amps, i'm considering getting one just for travel and that i love midrangey fuzz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09IoM2lRZU

thanks, i'd forgotten about the pignose i don't know how i managed that, i tried one a while ago and i seem to remember really liking the sound of it but this was before i had any idea about tone so i'd have to try one again.

i know the pignose has a pre-amp out but does it work as a headphone jack/mute the speaker?

Quote by Blompcube
is the pathfinder passable or at least half decent sounding? i know this is a hard concept for a lot of UGers to grasp and it's just as hard to explain, but i don't like modellers because they just sound a bit too 'manufactured' to me. So i want something analogue. I'd rather have a marshall MG15FX than a roland cube or peavey vypyr or anything like that - i'd honestly much prefer a bit of a compromise on the tone quality for a proper analog amplifier with its own tone, rather than something digital that's trying to be something it isn't, even if it sounds 'better' in the process.

i'm not sure... mine's fairly old and got some water spilled in it, and i don't think it's sounded as good since, a bit crackly. It sounds decent for a cheap solid state for lower gain stuff, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Solid State:
Peavy Vypyr
Roland Cube
Roland Micro Cube

Tube:
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Fender Champ 600
Bugera V5
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure... mine's fairly old and got some water spilled in it, and i don't think it's sounded as good since, a bit crackly. It sounds decent for a cheap solid state for lower gain stuff, i think.

well it's right up my street if it's a sort of clean, low gain amp, of course i'm not going to buy anything without trying it out first though, so i'll have to find one to try.

And it seems perhaps i have not made myself clear enough to everyone saying roland cube etc:

i already have a 5 watt tube amp, and don't think it'll work out too well where i'll be living as the lack of a headphone output can make it disruptive. and i don't need/want a load of different FX and amp models and stuff because i just want something simplistic.

also i don't like the roland cubes. i've tried to like them, i really have, but they just sound a bit too "dry" for my liking.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 10, 2010,
I think the Vox Pathfinders sound quite nice personally, for what they are anyway.

The frontmans have quite nice cleans IMO.

All this is quite nice though, not great. But passable.

Maybe try find an old SS red knob fender combo, we have a studio in school, lovely sounding cleans too it. And old Peavey SS amps.
Quote by beckyjc
I think the Vox Pathfinders sound quite nice personally, for what they are anyway.

The frontmans have quite nice cleans IMO.

All this is quite nice though, not great. But passable.

Maybe try find an old SS red knob fender combo, we have a studio in school, lovely sounding cleans too it. And old Peavey SS amps.

yeah i know i'm not gonna get anything that sounds any better than mediocre, but i think that might actually be beneficial for my playing. so long as i enjoy the tones i can get.

i probably will look at older practice amps, i'm likely to go and try out that old marshall lead 12 tomorrow. although, though the amp the shop have is a combo, i'm a little bit skeptical as to whether it will actually sound good or not because.. marshall also made a micro-stack version i think the lead 12 micro stack was what kurt cobain used as part of the in utero tour's stage decoration, to take the piss out of the walls of decorative marshall 4x12 cabinets other bands were using at the time.

If the pignose has a headphone output it's definitely in my list of options, and even if i don't get one for uni i've been sub-consciously GASing for one for about 4 years and will get one at some point anyway

Quote by Blompcube
well it's right up my street if it's a sort of clean, low gain amp, of course i'm not going to buy anything without trying it out first though, so i'll have to find one to try.

yeah, it's definitely on the low gain side of things. By that i mean the gain boost sounds like ass.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, it's definitely on the low gain side of things. By that i mean the gain boost sounds like ass.

Why not just get a headphone amp? I'm thinking something like this
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by scaronyourface
TL;DR
Peavey vypyr 15w.
/thread.

well at least you demonstrated why if you can't be arsed to read a thread you shouldn't bother posting in it either

i might check out headphone amps, but then that what would i do when i don't need to use headphones.. unless of course i take my fender champ along for that and use headphones when people don't want to be disturbed.

Quote by Blompcube
i might check out headphone amps, but then that what would i do when i don't need to use headphones.. unless of course i take my fender champ along for that and use headphones when people don't want to be disturbed.

Yes that's exactly what I'd do, take both. Really, when a Champ is too loud you really are talking about needing headphones. Those little amplug's are so small you could keep it in your guitar case. They come in a few flavors too. Click on the image I posted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
amplugs are pretty cool. as long as you have half way decent headphones they sound great imo.

i've also played the pathfinder 15r a bunch. i'd rec that as well but i'm not sure if it has a headphone jack tbh.

true story. we had this college aged girl in the store playing electric violin through the pathfinder 15r. she was awesome, a great player. so she starts ripping some serious shred with the amp cranked up a bit, it gets loud and sounded great.
my resident two metal head 13 yr olds hear it and think it's some dood whaling on the krank stack. they go running to the back of the dept and see this chick ripping solos on a violin.

their jaws hit the floor. the amp sounded great.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
iirc mine (the non-r version) has a headphone jack, but it's a 1/4" jack so you need an adaptor. mine is like 10 years old though so they might have changed that by now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you get an Amplug and want to play out loud there's always this
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by fly135
For headphones I prefer the Korg Pandora. Find a deal on a used PX4D.

excuse me for being a technophobe, but looks a bit too much like the kind of thing that would have me scrolling through menus which is just not what i want. I must admit i'm quite old fashioned when it comes to these kind of things, and digital modelling really does not appeal to me at all (i only really value modelling amps as something for beginners to find out what sort of tones they like)

btw, any opinions on the vox VBM-1? i know it's not in production anymore but it seemed like a really good practice/recording amp - i think it was a deacy clone, with a built in treble boost, which like the pignose, can also be used as a preamp. i found one on ebay but it's for sale in a bundle with a vox AD50VT (i already have one of those and don't use it ever lol, and it's too big for uni) and a treble booster of some description for £400.. but i don't want any of the other stuff