If I get a tube amp with a master volume knob independent of the level knobs for the specific channels, will I be able to get tube saturation at low volume by keeping the channel's level high but the master volume low?

Been looking into getting a tube amp, but I'm not sure if my circumstances permit it right now (living in an apartment is main concern).

Thanks.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Quote by BWenz7
If I get a tube amp with a master volume knob independent of the level knobs for the specific channels, will I be able to get tube saturation at low volume by keeping the channel's level high but the master volume low?

Been looking into getting a tube amp, but I'm not sure if my circumstances permit it right now (living in an apartment is main concern).

Thanks.

Tube saturation tone comes from the power amp. The master volume controls the power amp while the channel level controls the preamp. So the best way to get tube saturation would be to keep the channel level low and the master volume high.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Tube saturation tone comes from the power amp. The master volume controls the power amp while the channel level controls the preamp. So the best way to get tube saturation would be to keep the channel level low and the master volume high.
This.

What type of tone are you after? Bands?
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

I play mostly metal/harder rock (Testament, Protest the Hero, Trivium, Unearth, Tool etc.). I'm thinking something I can keep to lower volumes would be best at this point. Looking at maybe getting a Vypyr.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
You can get pre-amp distortion at low volumes though, which will probably still sound better than a solid state amp.

Vypyrs are good for home practice though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah, for Protest the Hero you won't need to crank the amp to hear distortion. That's for old-school Marshall-headz who desire a Plexi-like Zepellin tone.

Are you looking to buy an amp then? What's your budget? Location? Gigging or home use? New or used?
Quote by GNR4EVER
Not this. LIke I said previously... no. Only an attenuator placed on the output of the power amp will accomplish what you are asking for.

A Master Volume is a volume knob that attenuates a low level signal going into the power tubes. The signal is attenuated before, so you get no power tube saturation from the Master Volume.

If you are simply looking for distortion, then a preamp gain control will give you that.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by GNR4EVER

Yeah, but if you cant crank the master volume you won't more saturation by doing it this way
I mean it doesn't matter wich knob you crank when talking about power amp distortio.
But TS, if you crak your channel volume and back off your master YES, you will get distortion, but it won't be power amp distortion, it will be coming from the preamp.
Ok, it's starting to make more sense to me now.

To answer the Goldfish, yeah I'm looking to get an amp.
Budget: $300-$500, maybe push to 600, but would like to keep it low.
Conditon: Definitely used

Would be using it mainly for practicing alone and with other guitarist+drummer. I would also like to have the ability to gig, though, if something materializes.
Quote by candysars

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Quote by fly135
Not this. LIke I said previously... no. Only an attenuator placed on the output of the power amp will accomplish what you are asking for.

A Master Volume is a volume knob that attenuates a low level signal going into the power tubes. The signal is attenuated before, so you get no power tube saturation from the Master Volume.

If you are simply looking for distortion, then a preamp gain control will give you that.
Of course. I said "this" because what he said was true. It didn't necessarily solve what the TS was asking, though. The guy I quoted didn't agree with the TS.

You get distortion you'll need. Lower the master lower the face pounding bass. Too low on the master and you'll get fizz.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Of course. I said "this" because what he said was true. It didn't necessarily solve what the TS was asking, though. The guy I quoted didn't agree with the TS.

It was only vaguely true and even more it was confusing because it was mostly irrelevant. For example, look at this statement...

"So the best way to get tube saturation would be to keep the channel level low and the master volume high."

Why is that the "best" way? Keeping the channel level low could defeat getting power tube saturation even if the master is dimed. There is no best way.

Or this one...

"The master volume controls the power amp while the channel level controls the preamp."

The reality is both the channel level and the master volume control the total gain preceeding the power tubes. Both affect power tube saturation in an identical way. So this statement gives no relevant information.

That's why the post gets a... "not this".
Quote by fly135
It was only vaguely true and even more it was confusing because it was mostly irrelevant. For example, look at this statement...

"So the best way to get tube saturation would be to keep the channel level low and the master volume high."

Why is that the "best" way? Keeping the channel level low could defeat getting power tube saturation even if the master is dimed. There is no best way.

Or this one...

"The master volume controls the power amp while the channel level controls the preamp."

The reality is both the channel level and the master volume control the total gain preceeding the power tubes. Both affect power tube saturation in an identical way. So this statement gives no relevant information.

That's why the post gets a... "not this".
It seemed to me like he was just correcting the TS. At least from what I gathered.

The TS asked whether you can evoke tube saturation at low volumes by having an amp with a master volume separate from the channel volumes and by keeping that level high but the master low.

And then GNR4EVER said that tube saturation - what is normally classified as tube saturation - comes from cranking the master volume. And the channel volumes control the preamp gain and level. But as you said, in a more detailed way, both the channel volume and master volume affect the power amp. But I just didn't think the TS needed to hear that.

That's all I took from it, and still kinda agree with it, even if it was generalizing and simplifying a point.
I see your point. Just a case of disconnect between the written word and the interpretation.
Quote by fly135
I see your point. Just a case of disconnect between the written word and the interpretation.

You are definitely right, though.

Quote by GNR4EVER

You make it seem as if the master volume controls the gain of the power amp. That is not the case. It just dumps preamp signal to the ground when you turn it down. Same with channel volume.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Do you need it to be apartment quiet or just “I don’t want to go deaf in this bedroom” quiet?
I'd say more of the former.
Quote by candysars

Line 6 Pod X3 Live