So I'm looking into getting a new microphone soon.

Is the Shure SM57 any good for recording?

Right now i'm using a Samson USB condenser (C01U), would this be much of an improvement.

The main question is how much background noise does the Shure SM57 produce?
I guess it'll be Vocals, some acoustic guitar maybe. And maybe drums -but this is very rare and probably won't happen, im not buying the mic for this purpose.
Quote by Saamon
I guess it'll be Vocals, some acoustic guitar maybe. And maybe drums -but this is very rare and probably won't happen, im not buying the mic for this purpose.

The SM57 is pretty versatile...and have been used in all of those situations. A condenser may be better for the vocals and acoustic...but the SM57 is always nice to have around.
its a good all around mic in that price range...preamp in the interface has much more to do with quality of recording though
The 57 is nice with a good preamp but it really needs a lot of gain from the preamp especially for acoustic guitar although I've seen it done in the past.

I would get both the 57 as well as the MXL 990/991 pack...both run around $100 each and the MXLs sound great on acoustic. The MXL set also works well on everything however you need a quiet recording location as they will record the whole room noise.