So heres my situation. I play mostly hardcore, stoner/doom metal, pop punk, and regular metal out of my stack. i have a blockletter 5150, i believe they are 120 watts.

ive heard that some people play out of bass cabs for a different tone, how is the tone different?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1783267303.html

ive been looking at that. would a 120 watt head be enough to power an 8x10? if not, whats the maximum biggest cab it could handle?

please help me with any other info

thanks!
im pretty sure your tone would be really muddy and just overall, not-good-sounding. bass speakers are made to operate at lower frequencies. but i could be wrong about the muddy tone... i dont know.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
I use a basscab for my peavey valveking head, it has a real dirty sound with a lot of more bass ofcourse. I play in drop b so i find it fitting for the sound i want.
It shouldn't be too muddy, you'll just have to compensate for the added bass when you eq. A 120 watt head will be more than enough to power it.

As for how it ill change your tone, other than adding ungodly amounts of bass, I don't know. An 8x10 seems excessive though, what are you using now, a 4x12? I've always wanted to play through a 4x12 with a 2x15 bass cab, maybe try that. Should give you the extra thump but retain some clarity.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
right now im using a vader 4x12. i was thinking about the 8x10 because loudness is always a good thing )
IMO its gonna be better to get a nice, second hand, smaller cab than a massive 8*10 cab. I mean you want to add bass to your rig, not make your rig be a add-on into some bass.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
More speakers don't make you louder.

Bass speakers sound good with guitar if you do it properly, it's probably a bit of an aquired taste though.

There's no maximum biggest cab that any head can handle in terms of size/amount of speakers, you just have to make sure that he wattage of all the speakers combined is more than the wattage of your amp.

Have fun moving an 8x10 around with you.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by espplayer400
im pretty sure your tone would be really muddy and just overall, not-good-sounding. bass speakers are made to operate at lower frequencies. but i could be wrong about the muddy tone... i dont know.

Bass speakers don't sound good with guitars? I believe Mr. Brent Hinds would like to have a word with you. SRV probably would too, but he's no longer with us.
i might just build a 2x15, to get the bass sound. also abying my fender hotrod
Quote by dylanEdge
i might just build a 2x15, to get the bass sound. also abying my fender hotrod

Do you know anything about building cabs? Cab construction is very important to tone.
Quote by espplayer400

I thought having a really muddy tone was the point of playing stoner rock :P
sorry guys! haha, and i guess that you ^^ are right, plus in my post i said i didnt really know, ive never had experience with using a bass cab for guitar, and was just re-itterating what i heard. also i did not know that SRV used them..
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7