Hey guys, I have literally no experience in this department, but I really wanted to start in this area of building guitars, and I have access to a VERY large amount of Cedar wood.

Now, I now you can make a guitar out of pretty much anything, doesn't mean it'll SOUND good...but you can. My question here is, would a guitar made out of cedar sound good? I would be buying different woods for the neck and such, but I mean a body made out of cedar.

Anyone have an answer for me?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For electric guitar it's prolly too soft of a wood to use for a full body, Cedar is about as soft as Pine, but sounds like Spruce. I would use it in the construction of acoustic guitars, and it sounds great, every cedar acoustic guitar I've seen played and sounded awesome.
I can't see how it could be bad. Give it a nice finish and it won't get too dented. Proto-Telecasters were made from pine, which - as said - is about as soft as cedar. Also, the colour is nice.
I wouldn't go with cedar. If you're going to build something use wood that is hard enough. Cedar is too soft for electric guitars. It'll dent too easily, be flimsy at the neck pocket, etc. All of the parts are under a lot of tension.
If you're looking for a cheap wood to use go with poplar. It sounds great, looks decent (if you get a piece with no mineral streaks) and is one of the easiest woods to finish. Not to mention a body blank should set you back no more than 5-6 bucks if you buy raw lumber.

Don't get me wrong you CAN use cedar. It probably is not the best choice though

-Carousel
Last edited by carousel182 at Jun 9, 2010,
So it wouldn't be great for say a 7 string build aye?

I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to building an acoustic Or I'd give that a run.

If I were to make a solid body out of it though, to make this easier to understand for myself, would the tone of the wood be closer to mahogany or alder?

EDIT:

Quote by carousel182
I wouldn't go with cedar. If you're going to build something use wood that is hard enough. Cedar is too soft for electric guitars. It'll dent too easily, be flimsy at the neck pocket, etc. All of the parts are under a lot of tension.
If you're looking for a cheap wood to use go with poplar. It sounds great, looks decent (if you get a piece with no mineral streaks) and is one of the easiest woods to finish. Not to mention a body blank should set you back no more than 5-6 bucks if you buy raw lumber.

Don't get me wrong you CAN use cedar. It probably is not the best choice though

-Carousel

Well to be honest the reason I was going to build with it was because I was able to get a LOT for free, past that I was going to save up for some better lumber. So I should just save for some better wood?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Jun 9, 2010,
I retract my statement about the cedar. I just checked the hardness and apparently it is rated the same as poplar. I honestly didn't think that was the case. I say go for it.

I still would try to get my hands on some poplar or any other cheap wood
Quote by carousel182
I'd think it would sound closer to alder. they are both fairly soft woods.

Hm. Well alright, I have two alder body guitars already they sound pretty nice, almost too bright though.. I was looking for a warmer low end....any recommendations for that?

EDIT:

Poplar a hard wood? Well so long as I'm not risking denting the holy hell out of it i'll do it in a heartbeat.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by carousel182
If youre looking for warm go with mahogany.

>_<

Definitely not the cheapest wood thats for damn sure....any cheaper variants of it?

I'll still probably make a guitar out of the cedar, just as practice. Since it WILL be my first build.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

WHat kind of cedar is this? Spanish Cedar is actually a nice tonewood for solid bodies. It is actually a for of mahogany if I remember correctly.
Quote by inkandlead
WHat kind of cedar is this? Spanish Cedar is actually a nice tonewood for solid bodies. It is actually a for of mahogany if I remember correctly.

Spanish cedar is a type of a mahogany. It's not very expensive either. That may be a good alternative to mahogany for you. Some spanish cedar smells terrible though. Their is a HUGE difference between spanish cedar and cedar (red cedar.) What you have most likely is regular cedar.
inkandlead: I honestly couldn't tell you, my grandpa just chopped down a HUGE cedar tree, were in Pennsylvania, I was going to dry the wood at our schools woodshop, and work on it there.

carousel182: Basswood? Huh, I'll give that a look. I've played a few basswood guitars, not my favorite weight-wise, but they're pretty nice.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I don't think basswood has much tone. If you're looking for bassy tone, then mahogany is the way to go. I'm not sure where your wood sources are, but more than likely if you think mahogany is expensive then you're not getting good deals. Try out http://www.woodfinder.com/ and see if you can find a local lumberyard. You should refer yourself to the wood thread as well for a bunch of information.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
I don't think basswood has much tone. If you're looking for bassy tone, then mahogany is the way to go. I'm not sure where your wood sources are, but more than likely if you think mahogany is expensive then you're not getting good deals. Try out http://www.woodfinder.com/ and see if you can find a local lumberyard. You should refer yourself to the wood thread as well for a bunch of information.

Alrighty then, I'll give em a look!

Thanks!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by carousel182
Tone is altered much more by hardware and craftsmanship than by wood.

I figured as much, craftsmanship....well lets just say i'll be relying more on the hardware

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by cedricsmods
Build a cedar guitar. Absolutely. But do use something stronger for the neck.

I was thinking a maple wood for the neck, wasnt sure on the fretboard.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You could always make a one piece neck, like a fender. But if you are looking for something a bit warmer, Rosewood or something in that family, like Cocobola. Maybe even Wenge, it is one of my favorite woods.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
haha yeah, those would be way out of his budget. He could use some mahogany or walnut laminates in the nut though.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
haha yeah, those would be way out of his budget. He could use some mahogany or walnut laminates in the nut though.

Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords

I honestly meant to say in the neck. Haha
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by Ice4600
maybe a neckthrough design? You could use cedar for the body wings but use a harder, stronger wood such as maple for the neck just to make sure you don't have any problems.

That was my plan actually, for the middle I wanted to do a three piece neck. Wasn't sure on the woods to use...at least ones that would go good with cedar. I was thinking on a mahogany strip in the middle? Maybe.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance