Hello there...

I have played the electric guitar for around 7 years now.

I have a fender acoustic but never play it as i'v never felt good enough to play acoustic.

I am really into John Butler, Don Ross and perhaps Jack Johnson to some extent.

Where would one start by learning to fingerpick in the style of these musicians?

And would there be any other musicians you'd reccommend?

Thanks, Luke.
Last edited by moominman2 at Jun 9, 2010,
As for other ones to look into with that style:

Alex De Grassi
Michael Hedges
Andy McKee

Tad Piecka (Great acoustic albums on his website for name your price http://tadpiecka.bandcamp.com/album/stars-are-stars-and-yours-are-yours)

Eric Roche
Justin King

Many more to list off, but those are some others.

As for playing I have to go for now, got to be somewhere, but I'll try and think of some good ones for you. One thing to do is to sit down with the simple pieces of a more complex song to get the feel of things, I do that a lot but it can be frustrating so you have to take a break every now and then because if you jump into a song with a big learning curve that you aren't used to it takes awhile. I'll post back in a while if I think of full songs to learn.
For crazy awesome fingerstyle stuff, I recommend Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour, and anyone on the Candyrat record label. And check out Sergio Altamura; not always fingerpicking, but definitely something cool to check out.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I find that only those with a limited ability and creativity play fingerstyle guitar. It really is the lowest form of music. Very little talent or creative ability required.
My God, it's full of stars!
to the op - have you any finger picking experience at all? if not, you might want to learn some basics before trying more complex stuff - it will make it a lot easier.

Dreadnought, it sounds like you don't know what fingerstyle is. it's a great deal more advanced than strumming, and while i've played in many bands, and jammed with lots of folks, i've rarely met players fingerpick well.

Quote by Dreadnought
I find that only those with a limited ability and creativity play fingerstyle guitar. It really is the lowest form of music. Very little talent or creative ability required.
Last edited by patticake at Jun 9, 2010,
you're an odd one.

ever heard of tommy emmanuel? he's considered one of the best and most advanced guitarists in the world by many guitarists, and most of what he plays is either all fingerstyle or includes lots of it. i've never heard of a famous acoustic guitarist who didn't play lots of fingerstyle very well.

Quote by Dreadnought
Haha. Successful.
Quote by patticake
you're an odd one.

ever heard of tommy emmanuel? he's considered one of the best and most advanced guitarists in the world by many guitarists, and most of what he plays is either all fingerstyle or includes lots of it. i've never heard of a famous acoustic guitarist who didn't play lots of fingerstyle very well.

...You do realize he's trolling you for lulz, right?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
patticake, I ONLY play fingerstyle acoustic guitar

EDIT: And I don't like Tommy Emmanuel
My God, it's full of stars!
myspace.com/thistownneedsguns
that dude finger picks.

and not to thread hijack, but i just recorded the very first thing ive ever written thats fingerpicked, and id love some criticism on it. its less than a minute and in my profile.
thanks in advance to anyone who actually listens.
*SMACK*

btw, i don't actually like tommy emmanuel's playing. not sure why not, but he doesn't turn my crank.

Quote by Dreadnought
Haha. Successful.
What about Tomi Paldanius?

Anyway Original topic, I said I'd get back to you.

Michael Hedges - Dirge is good, and more simple than most Tablature at http://www.rootwitch.com

Eric Roche's Jump interpretation gets your thumb used to doing a steady bass while the other fingers work.

Those are two, and you said you liked Don Ross, Thin Air, and Elevation music have simple intros you could play to get an idea of what you will be looking at. Intros is the key word there.

Finally one I just started working on, you could mess around with Doyle Dykes Coldplay Medley, somewhat simple.
Quote by clayonfire
For crazy awesome fingerstyle stuff, I recommend Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour, and anyone on the Candyrat record label. And check out Sergio Altamura; not always fingerpicking, but definitely something cool to check out.

This

+

(indie)Folk music is also a good place to start learning fingerpicking, like some bob dylan or the tallest man on earth...
My Gear:
Simon&Patrick Pro flame maple (so nice)
Epiphone SG-special (cherry red)
Richwood acoustic
Lany 30 Watt amp, not sure what exact model