So there's a heavy thunderstorm going on right now, and just now a bolt of lightning flashed.

There was loud thunder, but then something weird happened:

There was a quieter, droning sound that went on for about 20 seconds after the thunderclap, and sounded like sheet metal waving.

EDIT: no, actually, now that I think about it, it sounded more like steel wire than sheet metal.

Does anyone have any idea what that was, or if that phenomenon has a name?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 9, 2010,
Sheet metal waving?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Someone fucking with you?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Rain and wind lol?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
THunder
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Did it sound like one of the walker things in war of the worlds ? If so, run.
Happens fairly often. I always just looked at it as thunder; just a different aspect of it. Kind of feels like a growl if I'm thinking of the same thing you're talking about.
I can imagine the sound, I've heard it before... where was that again? Oh yeah!

❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by -Reborn-
Did it sound like one of the walker things in war of the worlds ? If so, run.

This.
Quote by furin121
Happens fairly often. I always just looked at it as thunder; just a different aspect of it. Kind of feels like a growl if I'm thinking of the same thing you're talking about.

it sounded like after the initial discharge of the lightning, there was still a load of electricity jumping around in the cloud.

Though I don't think it's the same thing that you mean, you probably mean the normal "aftergrowl" that comes after a loud thunderstrike, but this sound was really different, and the first time I've ever heard it.
Quote by captaincrunk
A roof sliding off a building slowly?

literally laughed my ass off
'Twas Cliff Burton rocking out on his bass guitar!
Quote by damole
what is fap?
Quote by CoreysMonster
it sounded like after the initial discharge of the lightning, there was still a load of electricity jumping around in the cloud.

Though I don't think it's the same thing that you mean, you probably mean the normal "aftergrowl" that comes after a loud thunderstrike, but this sound was really different, and the first time I've ever heard it.

Yeah, sounds like we're talking about different things. Guess I don't know what you're talking about bud. Don't think I've ever heard any other kind of noises from a storm.
I think I might have heard it before, once or twice. No idea what it was, though
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Sorry dude i just had a rough time in the bathroom
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It was the voice of god.

Actually it was an echo.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Probably the air was still expanding but just not as violent as it normally is.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Jackal58
It was the voice of god.

Actually it was an echo.

huh, it WAS a pretty loud lightning clap, and echoes coming from different sources might have phased into the sound i heard...

perhaps you're right.
A butterfly on the other side of the world flapped its wings?

I honestly don't know, my guess would be the soundwaves bounced off a weird surface or travelled through a load of nonuniform substances (Or whatever they're called) and the frequency got slightly modified or something
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by CoreysMonster
huh, it WAS a pretty loud lightning clap, and echoes coming from different sources might have phased into the sound i heard...

perhaps you're right.

It's actually created by the thunder echoing between different cloud layers. Kind of like through a pipe. There is a meteorological term for it but I don't recall what it is at the moment.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The sound of your hearing getting killed?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jackal58
It's actually created by the thunder echoing between different cloud layers. Kind of like through a pipe. There is a meteorological term for it but I don't recall what it is at the moment.

EXACTLY! That's what it sounded like!

thank god I'm not crazy
Sorry, that was me. Should I turn it down, or...?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
From the internet.

First off, a lightning bolt is not usually a straight line. On average, a lightning bolt is over four miles long, branching out in many different directions through the sky and atmosphere. This causes a multitude of compression waves that all reach our ears at different times.

Secondly, the compression waves of a thunder clap will bounce off the clouds, the ground, and other objects such as mountains, or water, much like your voice echoes in a canyon or large auditorium. These compression wave echoes will grow louder and softer, often echoing and repeating. This echoing constitutes the rumbles of thunder that we hear.
Maybe it was some asian couple humping in the clouds, who wouldn't keep their sexual noises down?