Hi guys, I am having trouble with a common blues/rock lick. The lick is:

----------5---5--------5---5------5---5-
----------5---5--------5---5------5---5-
---7b-------------7b-------- 7b-------
------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

where "b" stands for a whole note bend.

After the whole note bend, it should get muted while playing the 1st and 2nd strings. The problem I am having is that everytime I try this lick, I end up making the 4th string ring.

I tried an even simpler lick:

1st String -----------5--5--------5--5--------5--5----
2nd String-----8b----------8b----------8b-----------

With this lick, I end up making the 3rd string ring when I release pressure off the ring finger after the bend.
Is there any trick to it ?
Try just easing the pressure enough so that you're still touching the 3rd string but you're muting it while not playing that note
first of all, i think it'd sound cooler if it was bent up maybe 2 notes then back down again THEN into the e and B strings

however, on topic, i'd fingerpick that...

for the first lick i'd use my thumb on the G string (lol) and pull at the e and B strings with my index and middle fingers, 2nd lick i'd just use thumb and index finger, that way the softness of the thumbs skin won't play any other note, just the one you want it to play.

alternatively you could use downward picking for the G then upward for e and B.

but find whats comfortable for you, you'll get there in the end, just keep practising (Y)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The problem is that you're not muting the strings you don't want to ring.

Rest the palm of your right hand on the low strings that you don't want to ring while playing this lick (should make a habit of it generally anyways).
That way the string won't ring when you don't want it to.

There should be some lessons on this as it is a common beginner problem.
EDIT: Dang, i hate my slow typing!

For the first lick, use your thumb to mute the 4th string.

For the second, use the fat of your ring finger to mute it while you bend.

This is a common problem for many beginning lead players. The solution is to mute unused strings with both hands, depending on the string. There is a UG column on the matter.
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by dorado91

Rest the palm of your right hand on the low strings that you don't want to ring while playing this lick (should make a habit of it generally anyways).

+1... get into a habit of lightly muting the lower (pitch) strings when doing bends. After a while it will become habit and help you when you get to trickier licks.
Chuck Berry uses this alot, bend and double stop.
Upstroke on the bend then use downstrokes on the doublestop.
You shouldn't have to hit any other strings this way.
Quote by dorado91

+1

More beginners should know about this technique!
Quote by dorado91

First of all, a big thanks to everyone for replying !!! This was my first post (I think).

I do rest my palm as a habit on the top 2 strings for muting them. I will try to extend this to more strings.
But for the second lick, resting my palm on the 3rd string does not feel right. I have seen people playing this lick. They release pressure like how SilverSpurs616 suggested. Whenever I try releasing pressure, I end up making the 3rd string ring. I guess I missed the finer point of releasing just a little to continue muting the 3rd string.

@Dempsey68: I am not very comfortable finger picking. (Read as "I am a beginner")

Once again, Thanks a lot !