Page 1 of 2
I've been playing electric guitar for two years and I want to start learning bass guitar for the purpose of starting a band. I have always wanted to learn bass so I am now really considering it as all my friends who play guitar are much better than me. How hard is it to transition from electric guitar to bass? And how long will it take (average) to be able to play full songs we have written? the type of music we will be playing is basically a A7X and Throwdown combo. A mix of metal and hardcore punk. Thanks
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"- "Watch Me Rise"-Have Heart
A week maximum. It ain't that hard. As time passes by (A7X quote FTW) you'll find it even easier to pull off some cool bass lines while the guitarists play.
Any reccomendations for a bass? I am on a budget 300$ TOPS, i don't mind going used, and remember we are like a concept band
Even if you go used, there's no way you can play in a band w/ just 300 dollars. You'll need a bass amp and cab, and dont expect to use your guitar rig w/ out frying your speakers.
we have amps galore, i got a bass amp for free a while ago, i just need a cheap ass bass
note that the bass obviously has a longer scale length which takes some time to get used to.

Are you looking for a 4 string? or 5 or 6?
A few pieces of advice

Buy a Squier 70s VM, they will not fail you.

70% of the time you should be buying a new amp rather than a new bass.

Most of the nuances in tone come from technique and touch. This does't mean the amp/strings/bass/etc don't influence. (They make your sound) But, as I said "nuances" they will help you in shaping your tone and making it... "more you".

Treat the bass as a bass. This doesn't mean only playing rhythm or whatever. This only means learn/love/cherish the instrument and he'll pay you back.
SO A SQUIRE FOR A METAL-ISH BAND?? i was thinking a ibanez specifically http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGSR200 and I have never owned a bass guitar I am making the transition, and ill pass on the alcohol I can hadle the groove sober (hopefully )
Oof, no.

Get a secondhand SR300 if you're going that way. Also recommended are Squier and Peavey.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by sXeJohnPow
SO A SQUIRE FOR A METAL-ISH BAND??

Yes, definately.

Quote by sXeJohnPow
and ill pass on the alcohol I can hadle the groove sober (hopefully )

I haven't had alcohol in over a week thanks to a promise I made to someone. Sobriety is a livng hell.
Quote by sXeJohnPow
SO A SQUIRE FOR A METAL-ISH BAND??

Jazz basses never work with metal period

Oh wait.

Yes, a Squire would be good.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Jazz basses never work with metal period

Oh wait.

Yes, a Squire would be good.

I think Opeth is a better example, thicker tone, actually audible bass and sweet sweet lines and coming form a Fender.

Metallica, with Newkid has a shrill, metallic tone, inaudible bass and coming from a Sadowsky, a shame.
ahhhhhhhhh I am desperately confused.. so for around $200 I need a bass with a tone that has to resemble a metal tone (no matter how small the resemblence is) so a squire jazz bass is your reccomendation?
Quote by sXeJohnPow
ahhhhhhhhh I am desperately confused.. so for around $200 I need a bass with a tone that has to resemble a metal tone (no matter how small the resemblence is) so a squire jazz bass is your reccomendation?

Yes. The nice thing about Fender/Squier basses is that they work well for anything (a convenient consequence of pretty much inventing the instrument as we know it today).
Quote by Spaz91
Jazz basses aren't necessarily for jazz!

I don't think I've ever heard a jazz player with a J-Bass. Well, I guess Jaco, but fusion doesn't really count. Not exactly Fender's most successful marketing move...
Jazzes are awesome. Anyone know any death metal players who play Fender?
But for now:

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

^ The Affinity series aren't that great (from what I've heard). The Vintage Modified and other higher-end models are supposed to be pretty good.
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ The Affinity series aren't that great (from what I've heard). The Vintage Modified and other higher-end models are supposed to be pretty good.

I'll add that the Classic Vibe series is quite good as well
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
im on a very tight budget, links anyone?
You guys are suggesting him to buy a jazz bass, and support your argument by showing pictures of bass players using a jazz bass. Yet, no one seems to point out to the fact that all of those bass players shown are using an ACTIVE bass, yet you're suggesting him to buy passive. I seriously doubt a budget passive bass and an unknown amp can cut through double bass drums, and guitar shredding.
Quote by Skeletomania
I seriously doubt a budget passive bass and an unknown amp can cut through double bass drums, and guitar shredding.

News flash: Expensive gear, active pickups and raw specs are not everything.
Quote by sXeJohnPow
im on a very tight budget, links anyone?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-IV-Active-620727-i1469842.gc

Trust me, you won't find a better brand new bass for $300. I got the 5 string and it really is a marvellous bass. The only downside is some noise problems but that it easily fixed.

Another benefit of getting a Squier is that they are easily upgradeable. In a year or so when you've saved up you can get an East preamp, some Gotoh hardware and some nice pickups.
Quote by obeythepenguin
News flash: Expensive gear, active pickups and raw specs are not everything.

True to that, but the OP is asking a bass suited for metal. Active circuits in general prevents sound degradation by changing the volume and tone. Also, it allows you to boost the signals as it enters the amp, which makes it sound louder w/out actually being louder. Active bass in general cuts through better than passive. Squier on the other hand is known to have lower output than other brands. Unless you know how loud his band actually plays, active bass are a safer bet for his bass tone to cut through the music than a passive Squier.
Quote by Skeletomania
True to that, but the OP is asking a bass suited for metal. Active circuits in general prevents sound degradation by changing the volume and tone. Also, it allows you to boost the signals as it enters the amp, which makes it sound louder w/out actually being louder. Active bass in general cuts through better than passive. Squier on the other hand is known to have lower output than other brands. Unless you know how loud his band actually plays, active bass are a safer bet for his bass tone to cut through the music than a passive Squier.

True, but OP is also working on a tight budget, so active pickups may well be out of the question. My understanding is that Squier is a fairly reputable brand, with consistent quality, and that if you need versatility -- or don't know exactly what you're looking for -- a Jazz Bass is generally a good choice. (I'm basing this entirely on what I've seen elsewhere in the forum. I don't have any personal experience with Squier or J-Basses.)

My rule is that a good band can always play quieter, I'm sure even in metal.
Quote by Skeletomania

Find a bass with active pups for $300 or less and I'll be impressed.

EDIT: and a Squier will do perfectly fine, its a great value, and if the TS has a suitable amp, he should have no problems cutting through.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
True, but OP is also working on a tight budget, so active pickups may well be out of the question. My understanding is that Squier is a fairly reputable brand, with consistent quality, and that if you need versatility -- or don't know exactly what you're looking for -- a Jazz Bass is generally a good choice. (I'm basing this entirely on what I've seen elsewhere in the forum. I don't have any personal experience with Squier or J-Basses.)

My rule is that a good band can always play quieter, I'm sure even in metal.

You can't get more versatility than an active bass. There are a lot more tonal variety w/ active circuitry than passive bass. If you buy used, you can get yourself a nice Ibanez or even Schecter. But honestly, play whatever you want. I personally prefer passive bass too, but I'm just saying in general active bass allow you to be heard better in a loud band.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Jun 21, 2010,
the punk stuff, well its funner to play simple punk than complicated stuff like anti-flag plays. but youll be like, able to play bass after a week. you wont be like great for awhile. it all comes with practice. but to play simple 8th not patters you catch on really fast with. its easy. as for a7x...well im not much of a fan or know much of them at all. sorry
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
Quote by Skeletomania
You guys are suggesting him to buy a jazz bass, and support your argument by showing pictures of bass players using a jazz bass. Yet, no one seems to point out to the fact that all of those bass players shown are using an ACTIVE bass, yet you're suggesting him to buy passive. I seriously doubt a budget passive bass and an unknown amp can cut through double bass drums, and guitar shredding.

a passive fender in metal

another passive fender in metal

the fact of the matter is that Fender make as good metal basses as Ibanez, ESP, Dean and all the other metal oriented guitar makers if not better.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
a passive fender in metal

another passive fender in metal

the fact of the matter is that Fender make as good metal basses as Ibanez, ESP, Dean and all the other metal oriented guitar makers if not better.

Yeah, please do tell me how many metal bassist endorsed by Fender compared to Ibanez, ESP, Dean, or Schecter? Besides, Iron Maiden and Anthrax uses rigs of doom to propel their passive bass, and their music are a bit tamer compared to today's heavy metal scene.

listen to 'get inside' and tell me it's 'tame'

EDIT:

and for what it's worth, I will be using my P bass (along with the Ibanez BTB) during the recording of my band's first album next month
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Skeletomania
Yeah, please do tell me how many metal bassist endorsed by Fender compared to Ibanez, ESP, Dean, or Schecter? Besides, Iron Maiden and Anthrax uses rigs of doom to propel their passive bass, and their music are a bit tamer compared to today's heavy metal scene.

It's not a contest to see how many metal artists you can endorse, the fact of the matter is that Fender (and by extension Squier) make versatile bass guitars that can be found pretty much everywhere. There's a reason Fender's are so popular, they can do pretty much anything.

EDIT: also, please explain how Iron Maiden and Anthrax are "tame" compared to more recent metal.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Tostitos
It's not a contest to see how many metal artists you can endorse, the fact of the matter is that Fender (and by extension Squier) make versatile bass guitars that can be found pretty much everywhere. There's a reason Fender's are so popular, they can do pretty much anything.

EDIT: also, please explain how Iron Maiden and Anthrax are "tame" compared to more recent metal.

Anthrax and Iron Maiden, especially Iron Maiden are more of a classic metal. Today's guitars are a lot hotter w/ more output, and w/ a more over driven sound. Plus, w/ the insane amount of double kick drum, passive bass have to work harder to cut through the mix. Matter of fact is that it is not who endorse who, but those that use the bass endorsed by the company mentioned are known for their active bass.
^either you're too stubborn to consider you might be wrong, trolling, or just plain stupid.

I'm guessing a mixture of the first two with a little of the third by default
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Page 1 of 2