Hi,

I have a Schecter Damien-6 FR, with stock EMG pick-ups. The guitar is fine, but I find it lacks "soul" and I have not warmed to it as I have other guitars. It might be the tone. It could be the aesthetics (feels a bit "Nu-metal."). Should I invest in new pick-ups for it (I have a spare DiMarzio), or sell it on? I am increasingly feeling that getting a vintage Kramer from the mid-80s might suit me more.

Thanks kindly.
I think usually EG can help you with questions, but with a question like this, I think its something you'll have to answer yourself.

The question has sentiment attached to it - something we cant put into the equation.
Well, I've heard EMGs have a tendency to sound rather soul-less, so maybe a pickup swap might be a good idea, but if you like that Kramer maybe trading for that'd be the better choice.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quite, I agree. I suppose I was just looking for validation about becoming attached to one's guitars. And also if it is worth investing in something with reservations.

Thanks.

Quote by Arterial
I think usually EG can help you with questions, but with a question like this, I think its something you'll have to answer yourself.

The question has sentiment attached to it - something we cant put into the equation.
Sounds like even if you modded the crap out of it you still would want a new guitar,

keep this one as it is and get a new guitar that you want mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Are you looking to change your sound? Or do you just need a guitar that feels different?

The Damien series isn't on a very high tier as far as sound and quality goes. I have no knowledge on the '80 Kramers or the cost of them. The guitar won't change the sound dramatically, if that's what you're looking to change. Pickups will help your sound a little bit, but it won't make too much of a difference. If I was you, I'd go with my gut: sell the DiMarzio PU (and the Damien?) and then proceed to buy the Kramer that you're interested in.
Yes, the sound is muddy and doesn't "sparkle" the way I want. I also cringe a little at the bat inlays. I'm looking for a guitar that is a bit battered but full of fire - ideally a super-strat or some sort.

My problem is that I'm left handed, so getting a decent guitar is very expensive and I'm pressed for choice. I also spent £80 on customs having the Schecter imported - vexing.

I did contemplate changing the neck on the Schecter - which might alter the feel.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote by JP Oliver
Are you looking to change your sound? Or do you just need a guitar that feels different?

The Damien series isn't on a very high tier as far as sound and quality goes. I have no knowledge on the '80 Kramers or the cost of them. The guitar won't change the sound dramatically, if that's what you're looking to change. Pickups will help your sound a little bit, but it won't make too much of a difference. If I was you, I'd go with my gut: sell the DiMarzio PU (and the Damien?) and then proceed to buy the Kramer that you're interested in.