Would something like this be good?
I am trying to get a really nice sound but I don't want to spend too much money. (shocker )

Probably something around 200 dollars.

I would like something that isn't too complicated and I can just record straight into a program like I do with a mic.

Right now I kind of just use my Rock Band ( ) mic and play around with the sound in audacity to make it sound good.

Here is what it sounds like right now with the Rock Band mic. I just used just the Rock Band/Guitar Hero Vocal/Drum/Bass tracks and put my guitar on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G6OFQ598CQ

As you can see, my sound needs some work haha.

So what's the best thing I can get in that price range?

Oh, and I mainly want some great Metal tones and some good ol' Rock n' Roll tones.
Last edited by Arianator at Jun 9, 2010,
definatly buy this!

its probarably the best for your price range, but depending on your pc you may want to invest in a new sound card and / or speakers. Certainly you should be considering getting some good speakers as this will improve your recording

hope to have helped
Pod Studios are great. If you had put anything else, I would have to rip your head off.

I give you +1 in my book for actually having enough smarts to do some looking into a product thats amazing for direct guitar.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
well im using guitar rigs 4 which is pretty good
i just plug my guitar right into my computer and run the program
i use this program as a plug in when ever i go make recording and what not.
but this program is also stand alone for when i just want to practice or jam

has a build in metronome and tuner with 2 tape decks and various amps/effect pedals/you get the picture
Quote by kcorkcar
well im using guitar rigs 4 which is pretty good
i just plug my guitar right into my computer and run the program
i use this program as a plug in when ever i go make recording and what not.
but this program is also stand alone for when i just want to practice or jam

has a build in metronome and tuner with 2 tape decks and various amps/effect pedals/you get the picture

First off, you're plugging your guitar direct into your computer? Thats a major no no.

Second, Pod Farm already does all that minus the Tape Decks which are useless IMO
Quote by lockwolf
First off, you're plugging your guitar direct into your computer? Thats a major no no.

Second, Pod Farm already does all that minus the Tape Decks which are useless IMO

I don't see whats wrong with that
it gets the job done and thats really all that matters

and why buy a pod when i can get software like this for free?
Quote by kcorkcar
I don't see whats wrong with that
it gets the job done and thats really all that matters

and why buy a pod when i can get software like this for free?

What's wrong with it? Quality is what's wrong. Impedance.
Quote by Ziphoblat
What's wrong with it? Quality is what's wrong. Impedance.

yet, i have a knowledge of what going on so quality isn't an issue for me
idk
i normally record at 44100 or 48000
which is cd or dvd quality
rare at times maybe 82000 or 96000 when my computer can handle it

I guess it all boils down to the mechanics or the software and how you utilize them

and to add that I am using a first act guitar which is a bit laughable
but hey, what ever works out i guess
Last edited by kcorkcar at Jun 11, 2010,
It doesn't really matter what quality you're recording at. The noise and compression occuring by not connecting your guitar properly is still there, you're just picking it up at a higher quality. Imagine it in terms of amps and guitars. You can have the nicest guitar in the world, but if you play it through the worst amp in the world, it's still going to sound bad. I mean, it's okay if you just want to record youtube covers or something (I've done it that way when I had no other gear about) but for anything half serious or where the quality matters, it's not the best option.
Quote by Ziphoblat
It doesn't really matter what quality you're recording at. The noise and compression occuring by not connecting your guitar properly is still there, you're just picking it up at a higher quality. Imagine it in terms of amps and guitars. You can have the nicest guitar in the world, but if you play it through the worst amp in the world, it's still going to sound bad. I mean, it's okay if you just want to record youtube covers or something (I've done it that way when I had no other gear about) but for anything half serious or where the quality matters, it's not the best option.

A jackson with my crappy first act amp in my room . . .
but I do see where you are coming from though. because i do get un wanted noise every here and there. yet i play though my computer because as you said basically no other equipment, and the amp i do have I use it for a speaker for my mp3 player because it is that awful.
the main reason why i don't have a problem with it is because i play alot of death/black metal. now if i was to go with a more smoother sounding genre of music, then yes quality would definitely be a top priority.
Heres the main problem with plugging your guitar in directly, it can damage your PC. The standard mic port on a computer cant handle a guitar load very well. This leads to a broken mic port and no fun.
Quote by lockwolf
Heres the main problem with plugging your guitar in directly, it can damage your PC. The standard mic port on a computer cant handle a guitar load very well. This leads to a broken mic port and no fun.

luckily i bought an extension chord that i plug into the computer. although if i didn't the little converter would probably be broken by now
Quote by kcorkcar
luckily i bought an extension chord that i plug into the computer. although if i didn't the little converter would probably be broken by now

Extension Cord? Like a power strip? Thats not going to protect your mic port
Quote by kcorkcar
idk

I guess it all boils down to the mechanics or the software and how you utilize them

That's not true at all.

Shit in -> Shit out.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by lockwolf

Yeah, I'm guessing theres some sort of serious impedence mismatch there.

Quote by kcorkcar
idk

I doubt your sound card actually supports recording at sample rates above 44.1, also please bare in mind that its not about what sample rate you choose to record at but the QUALITY of the preamps and converters in an interface, a computer sound card doesn't have the quality or acceptable impedence inputs for this type of recording.

So no, its not all numbers and digits, you still have to take the most important real world factors into serious consideration.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Quote by Beefmo
Yeah, I'm guessing theres some sort of serious impedence mismatch there.

I doubt your sound card actually supports recording at sample rates above 44.1, also please bare in mind that its not about what sample rate you choose to record at but the QUALITY of the preamps and converters in an interface, a computer sound card doesn't have the quality or acceptable impedence inputs for this type of recording.

So no, its not all numbers and digits, you still have to take the most important real world factors into serious consideration.

you don't even know what my sound card is
and i have Audigy SB2, to clear your unknowing assumptions which normally allow me to record at 48, sometimes higher
and i take it you never tried guitar rigs (on a wild guess) out before so I'm going to be nice and not be an arse about it.
You can control the quality in your output from the program standalone and record at 44.1. (fro mwhat ever you use. I use Cubase 5) And don't take this the wrong way, but everyone can't confine to what everyone has. I let alot of software and drivers serve as my pre-amp because some people don't have the money to get a pre-amp. Which for me, will make do until I can get one.

Quote by lockwolf
Extension Cord? Like a power strip? Thats not going to protect your mic port

This my friend
I plug guitar into the extension and plug extension into computer if you mean physically breaking.
now if it mal-functions due to other reasons, well i wouldn't have to worry about not having a mic port for long

Quote by iSlash
That's not true at all.
Shit in -> Shit out.

what isn't true about my statement?
because the two numbers go with the quality rest assured
The guitar yes
every program on my computer that deals with recording and other stuff no.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Last edited by kcorkcar at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by kcorkcar
what isn't true about my statement?
because the two numbers go with the quality rest assured
The guitar yes
every program on my computer that deals with recording and other stuff no.

Those numbers wont matter too much when you do the final mixdown. 99.9% of the time, the final mixdown is to 44100. It doesn't matter much if you record it at 88200, its going to be mixed down to 44100.

As for your extension cord, you're still doing it wrong. You aren't going to get as nice of a sound as one would with an interface.
Quote by lockwolf
Those numbers wont matter too much when you do the final mixdown. 99.9% of the time, the final mixdown is to 44100. It doesn't matter much if you record it at 88200, its going to be mixed down to 44100.

As for your extension cord, you're still doing it wrong. You aren't going to get as nice of a sound as one would with an interface.

The final will be at 44100 for sure (unless you have other programs that can change that, just wouldn't be able to upload it here.)
I could have exported the last thing i did in 48000, but UG only takes 44100 (out of Cubase 5)

well of course not
even though the software helps a tad bit it wont sound anything like an actual interface (10 genres of metal in 3 minutes)
seeing how what i am using at the moment is only a total of $12
yet at the same time, it is way better than a 10 watt amp that is collecting dust
the day i get around $250 i will get a line 6 POD
but until then, i can make do with out.
I just started with recording, let alone I have only been playing for a year and a few months
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Quote by kcorkcar
you don't even know what my sound card is
and i have Audigy SB2, to clear your unknowing assumptions which normally allow me to record at 48, sometimes higher
and i take it you never tried guitar rigs (on a wild guess) out before so I'm going to be nice and not be an arse about it.
You can control the quality in your output from the program standalone and record at 44.1. (fro mwhat ever you use. I use Cubase 5) And don't take this the wrong way, but everyone can't confine to what everyone has. I let alot of software and drivers serve as my pre-amp because some people don't have the money to get a pre-amp. Which for me, will make do until I can get one.

You have a computer sound card, you're plugging a straight guitar signal into a mic port, guitar signal needs a DI box before you hit a regular mic level preamp, I hate to think what your pc is doing to that signal. Proper interfaces have insrument level ins or require DI boxes to fix this mismatch.

And you missed my point completely and are grabbing at numbers again, just because your sound card supports these levels doesn't mean shit on the actual outcome, sure your soundcard can make 192,000 approximations of the audio a second, but that says nothing for its accuracy at any level, or the quality of the preamps in it.

Also last I checked Guitar Rig wasnt free.

Hard and fast rule:

Studio gear (guitars, xlr microphones) does not work with consumer grade equipment due to impedence mismatch.

An example of this happening the other way round would be if you took consumer headphones and plugged them into a headphone amp in a proper studio, they'd explode. Impedence mismatch.

Point is, just because you can "do it for cheap" by stealing software and trying to break the laws of physics, doesnt mean someone else should suffer the same fate and get the same horrible results when they're prepared to spend the money and get better.
And to reply directly to the poor OP here because he seems to be getting ignored.

The Pod X3 and the UX2 will get the same tones, the Pods modelling algorithm is exactly the same as the one in the software that comes with the UX2 (Pod Farm)

You should totally spend the money and get a UX2 because it will properly support your guitar signal with instrument level ins, any microphones you want to use and condensers as well because it has phantom power.

Many semi-professional records and guitar sounds have been made and achieved with Toneports or Pod Studios, none have been achieved with a cheap computer sound card.
Quote by Beefmo
You have a computer sound card, you're plugging a straight guitar signal into a mic port, guitar signal needs a DI box before you hit a regular mic level preamp, I hate to think what your pc is doing to that signal. Proper interfaces have insrument level ins or require DI boxes to fix this mismatch.

And you missed my point completely and are grabbing at numbers again, just because your sound card supports these levels doesn't mean shit on the actual outcome, sure your soundcard can make 192,000 approximations of the audio a second, but that says nothing for its accuracy at any level, or the quality of the preamps in it.

Also last I checked Guitar Rig wasnt free.

Hard and fast rule:

Studio gear (guitars, xlr microphones) does not work with consumer grade equipment due to impedence mismatch.

An example of this happening the other way round would be if you took consumer headphones and plugged them into a headphone amp in a proper studio, they'd explode. Impedence mismatch.

Point is, just because you can "do it for cheap" by stealing software and trying to break the laws of physics, doesnt mean someone else should suffer the same fate and get the same horrible results when they're prepared to spend the money and get better.

Well, don't you think that if i had the money I would?
USB devices in my area are not cheap, and a simple one is no where to be found.
I have looked in electronic and music stores. With terrible results.
you don't even know the specs on my computer.
Also, did you take into consideration that a sound card can have a built in preamp?
In which mine does.
mainly because my computer was partially, Built for this stuff?
And as for Impedance, it not a bother to me at the moment. Nothing sounds horrible nor deafening while I play. From the articles I have been reading about Impedance problems, increasing the Buffer size will help a bit. (in which my ASIO driver allows me to do)
I just got out of High School and haven't had any experience with studio material. While I am assuming that you are in College for this type of stuff and are more around it than what I am. not trying to be a jerk or anything but, seriously. While you may be TS and trying to educate, it comes off as being a bit low. (or a complete dick)
I'm aware that there is a wide variety, of ways to approach this. Via USB being one.
But this is what works for me at least.

Last edited by kcorkcar at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by kcorkcar
I just got out of High School and haven't had any experience with studio material. While I am assuming that you are in College for this type of stuff and are more around it than what I am.

Congrats. I've had a Pro Tools setup that I paid by myself since I was 16. Even before Pro Tools, I had an old Roland VS-880 to record with before that at age 14. Yes, I'm 19 now but I started learning young.

One of the first things I did at 14 was plug my guitar into my mic port. My mic port blew out. Doesn't matter the card, theres always the risk.
Quote by kcorkcar

But this is what works for me at least.

This is the problem here, the OP has $200 in real money to spend on something of quality, I assume when the OP decided to spend the money he realised it was a direct investment he'd make in his sound. Understand that just because something is good enough for you doesnt make it an acceptable standard for someone who wants to invest more.

It's a bit like someone asking for recommendations for cars in the several thousand dollar range and you're telling him to go for a Reliant Robin because "it gets you from A to B, is super cheap and might not break down".
Quote by Beefmo
This is the problem here, the OP has $200 in real money to spend on something of quality, I assume when the OP decided to spend the money he realised it was a direct investment he'd make in his sound. Understand that just because something is good enough for you doesnt make it an acceptable standard for someone who wants to invest more.

It's a bit like someone asking for recommendations for cars in the several thousand dollar range and you're telling him to go for a Reliant Robin because "it gets you from A to B, is super cheap and might not break down".

i realized that right after i posted