Anyone else hear the new single Parade of the Dead? I know there is a lot of Zakk Wylde haters here, but there must be some fans. I think it's one of the best things he's wrote in a long long time. Very energetic song with a killer riff and he almost does a whole solo without using the same usual licks, but he pulls one out at the end, still awesome!

here's the link, not very great quality though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6kALnuKyI&playnext_from=TL&videos=tikhTm0KfzU&feature=sub
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at Jun 9, 2010,
I fail to see how a pinch harmonics every 3 seconds makes for a killer riff.

Overall, the song was very mediocre. There is nothing that sets it apart from anything else Zakk has done in his career.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
I fail to see how a pinch harmonics every 3 seconds makes for a killer riff.

Overall, the song was very mediocre. There is nothing that sets it apart from anything else Zakk has done in his career.

So there's more Zakk haters than i thought. But lets be real, what sets Dave Mustaines music apart from anything else he does? or Black Sabbath? You can basically say this for any musician, and that's especially the case for metal. Bands stick to their sound cause when they change it up too much fans criticize it, they listen to them for a reason. If you want something different from Zakk listen to Pride and Glory or his Book of Shadows album, theirs plenty of variation, but it goes under a different name. Metallica is a prime example of this, when they went lighter, shit hit the fan. I'm not forcing BLS on you, i understand if you don't like all the pinch harmonics. It's the same as some people don't like how AC/DC basically play G D and A for mostly everyone of their songs.
^Yes, but what Black Sabbath does is good. And Paranoid is quite distinguishable from H&H or Tyr or Dehumanizer. Mustaine is a walking sack of shite though.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Riffmast
I would just listen to this if i wanted Pinch Harmonic abuse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AYqnZl_Uyg

What I saw attached to the mouse on the bottom for a good 15 seconds were not fingers. No they weren't. I was amused until the truth hit me blandly in the face.
I've found Jesus
LOL

But for Tech/Slam with pinch harmonic abuse Malignancy own..
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Well Incantation are the masters of it, but they use it much more tastefully then Malignancy or BLS. You would died when they played Deliverance of Horrific Prophecies live man, i know i did.

Edit: Yeah that Immolation albums owns as well, you make a good point. It's been way to long since i listined to them! Of Martyrs And Men were one of the songs that really got me into Death Metal.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Last edited by Riffmast at Jun 10, 2010,
Alright, I'm going to take this sentence by sentence.

Quote by Jmoarguitar
So there's more Zakk haters than i thought.

I'm not necessarily a Zakk hater. You have the same logic as the Israeli government: anybody who bashes you must hate you. That's not the case. I used to be a Zakk fan, but I realized how repetitive he is.

But lets be real, what sets Dave Mustaines music apart from anything else he does?

Dave Mustaine has a ton of diversity in his music. Can you honestly tell me Peace Sells and Rest in Peace were anywhere close to being the same album? What about Countdown to Extinction and Killing is my Business? No? Didn't think so. Dave Mustaine is constantly changing things up, while trying to keep the core sound the same, and I'd say just within their first four albums, they did a damn good job of it.

or Black Sabbath?

Have you listened to anything other than Iron Man and Paranoid? There is quite a bit of diversity within their songs, even just within the Ozzy-era. Not to mention the Dio-era had an entirely different sound from the Ozzy-era.

You can basically say this for any musician, and that's especially the case for metal. Bands stick to their sound cause when they change it up too much fans criticize it, they listen to them for a reason.

Bands stick to a core sound, a sound they are known for. However, they do not reiterate the same thing over and over again. John Petrucci does not play 20nps on every guitar lick he writes, even though he's known for playing fast. Why should Zakk use pinch harmonics in every riff he plays?

To end this particular argument, I'll simply point out each of the musicians mentioned has a variety of different and diverse influences, enabling them to create unique and diverse music. Now, honestly, other than Black Sabbath, Ozzy, and Randy Rhoads, can you think of another of Zakk Wylde's influences? By being practically obsessed with Ozzy his entire life, everything he does ends up being a cheap knockoff.

If you want something different from Zakk listen to Pride and Glory or his Book of Shadows album, theirs plenty of variation, but it goes under a different name.

So Zakk Wylde made a Southern Rock album and an Acoustic album. Congratulations to him. What I want to see is him combine those influences, and not consider them different entities. Also, I would like to point out how long ago those albums were. Like I said, I'm not a Zakk hater. If he could lighten up on the pinch harmonics, he would be decent, but he relies on them too much simply because he knows nobody else dares to be that annoying, thus making him special. Now, if he would combine these influences we clearly see he has, I could probably tolerate him a lot more.

Metallica is a prime example of this, when they went lighter, shit hit the fan.

See above. The same argument for Black Sabbath and Megadeth apply here. Before the shit hit the fan, they stayed interesting without changing their core sound.

I'm not forcing BLS on you, i understand if you don't like all the pinch harmonics. It's the same as some people don't like how AC/DC basically play G D and A for mostly everyone of their songs.

It is exactly like that. Thank you.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Jun 10, 2010,
I think Zakk is ok, he def. overkills the pinch harmonics though. His work on his first 2 Ozzy albums were pretty good, and I'll admit I like Mafia/Hangover from BLS quite a bit. But the thing is he has 2 styles now: pinch harmonics oriented riff, and acoutic ballad. That's it, whereas in the past his style ranged a little bit more from song to song.

I don't think he's a terrible guitarist-certainly not one of the best, but certainly not one of the worst either. But he's highly overrated, my theory is because in the 90's/early 2000's he was one of the few mainstream metal guitarists who soloed (same goes for why I think Dimebag wasn't a bad guitarist-just overrated for the same reason).

edit: but Zakk's work now is so predictable, oh and what's up with the whole badass biker image? Remember when he was a skinny little pretty boy? haha
Last edited by FifthHorsemen at Jun 10, 2010,