Page 1 of 2
Hey All,

I'm faced with somewhat of a dilemma right now, and thought I'd share it with you all so I could get some friendly advice. My friend has a friend who would sell me his Peavey Valveking 112 Combo for $275, but I don't really have the time to go and try it out and there's another guy who is interested in buying it. A decision has to be made fairly soon.

I play Classic Rock, (Pink Floyd, Led Zep) Hard Rock, (Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix) Punk Rock, (The Clash, The Stooges) Gothic Rock (Joy Division, Bauhaus) and Early Metal. (Black Sabbath, Motorhead)

Is the Valveking 112 capable of these genres and sounds?

I'm not the best player, but not the worst either. I've been playing on and off for 3 years and I want a good Tube Amp that fits my needs. I jam occasionally, but I would say I rarely play live. I'm a Hobbyist, but I can appreciate the quality stuff that gives you the quality tone.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Major Bludd
Last edited by Major Bludd at Jun 9, 2010,
Yeah, I would go for it. The VK isn't my FAVORITE amp but I haven't had the heart to sell it yet. That's a good deal and the 112 is better than the 212 imo.

It's capable. You might want to mod it later on. Especially the speaker.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yes, but you need to change the speaker, tubes and add an EQ pedal to really get the best sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta,

I'm glad you asked. I have a MXR 10-Band EQ, and plan on (eventually) changing the speaker, tubes, and even the light from red to blue! (The VK thread says you can do this, though I have no idea how - where do you get the replacement part in a different color?)

Anything else? bring on the details if you must...

Anyone?
^radio shack will do. I personally like the red but I have changed other things to different colors.

I would personally do the Marshall mod on it. I am about to do that myself.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Personally I'm not a fan of the VK at all. However, for the genres that you have described it should work alright for you.

The VK is a mid-gain amp that is best suited for rock based music. It can be a little muddy and lack character when it reaches higher gain stages, but it should be fine for what you're wanting to play. Also, you're in the right direction if you already have an EQ and you plan to swap out the speaker.
Quote by Major Bludd
Will the Valveking do a Stoner Rock vibe?

What do you mean by stoner rock? I've heard several different things referred to as "stoner rock" and none of them sounded remotely similar to each other
Takes pedals like a champ.

It can do that sort of stoner rock, but I'd play one first to decide if you like it yourself. The amp's distortion, stock, is very very muddy - I like lots of clarity so I've done a ton of mods to mine to help with that. An EQ helps tremendously with clarity as well as adding bass, which the VK 112 lacks. I'd also recommend forgoing the amp's gain boost as it takes away from the amp's already-lacking bass and makes things a bit harsher. An OD pedal is beneficial.

Also, a sometimes-overlooked trick with the VK is the dummy jack trick - basically plug your guitar into the second input, but have a plug in the first input (doesn't have to be a cable; an adapter works fine) it slightly increases gain, clarity and punchiness.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Raijouta,

I've got an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer for an OD. I've even got the dummy jack, for that matter. Hehe
Quote by Major Bludd
Raijouta,

I've got an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer for an OD. I've even got the dummy jack, for that matter. Hehe

i have personally had alot better luck with the TS808 circut, but either way it will sound better. actually the way i like it best is with a digitech bad monkey.

a BBE somic maxmimzer will go a long way.

but the price seems a little high to me. i dont know for sure though. i would try for $225.

shit, i got my whole valveking half stack for $350 with a cab loaded with greenbacks.

i dont know, so maybe negotiate?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
From the YouTube clips, the dirty channel on the VK sounds pretty aggressive. The TS-9 Has always done me proud, as it was one of my first pedals.
The VK will do fine for the music you want to play. A TS sounds pretty good in front of it. You might want to look into a fuzz for the stoner rock. I'd see if you could talk him down to under $250. Use the difference towards a new speaker and preamp tubes.
I have a Fuzz on the way - an Oxfuzz. (I don't think I've researched any other effect more than the Fuzz, it literally took me years to find the one I wanted!)

Next up is Reverb, but that is another thread. I've been told the Reverb on the VK112 is terrible.
Quote by Major Bludd
I have a Fuzz on the way - an Oxfuzz. (I don't think I've researched any other effect more than the Fuzz, it literally took me years to find the one I wanted!)

Next up is Reverb, but that is another thread. I've been told the Reverb on the VK112 is terrible.

i have the valve king head, so i dont know if its different in the combo, but the reverb is TERRIBLE. and i dont like using caps. honestly it is useless. i actually like my valveking quite a bit (enough to not want to buy a 6505) and there are a lot of bad crap that goes around about valvekings, and most of it doesnt bother me, but the reverb is TERRIBLE.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I say do it, the VK will handle all of those genera's perfectly, all you need is a boost pedal to tighten up the lead channel, it's a bit flabby. But it's a great amp, easy to pull tones out of it, easy to learn. And that's aa great price too.
Quote by Major Bludd

The reverb is certainly nothing special, but it is usable at low levels. Swapping out the reverb tank for a three spring unit solved the problem on mine. I'd do that instead of a pedal. A new tank is cheaper than a pedal too.
Last edited by Jason43 at Jun 10, 2010,
I would try it first.

When I played it, to me it sounded pretty lifeless and kinda fuzzy, like one of those cheap ss practice amps. Like people said, it probably needs upgrades.

However, in Europe it's 400 euros new, so I suppose $ 275 is a good deal.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Jason43
That would be the stock EHX preamp tubes.

Yeah. A lot of people, including in this thread, keep saying that with good tubes and a higher-end speaker it's a totally different amp. But the stock version does sound quite awful.

However, for the price of the amp + upgrades you could probably get a much better amp second hand (Marshall DSL? or something).

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by Mad Marius
Notice the "Mod" in the clip titles.

Check out my clips, all of my stuff is done using a stock Valveking, all I did was replace the tubes since they burned out. 2 Mesa Boogie(Ruby) 6L6GC's, JJ 12AX7 in V1 and V2, Sovtek LPS 12AX7 in V3, that's it, stock everything else.
ethan_hanus,

What kind of boost pedal would you suggest? I just thought I'd use my Tubescreamer.
Quote by Major Bludd
ethan_hanus,

What kind of boost pedal would you suggest? I just thought I'd use my Tubescreamer.

i know that wasnt directed to me, but i like the digitech bad monkey over my 808 cricuit tubescreamer, because it doesnt thin out the bass. the bad monkey has a bass knob which is really nice. i would advise an 808 over a ts9 though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Mad Marius
Notice the "Mod" in the clip titles.

Still a Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Major Bludd
ethan_hanus,

I use a TS9, I spent alot of money on it, so I wont bash the pedal, but all it's really good for is boosting, but it works fine, you can't tell the difference between the 808 or the Ts9 when it's used as a boost to tighten up your amp, and if anyone says they can, they are talking BS, there's no difference other than one has more gain and sounds slightly different, by themselves.

If your tight on money, the Digitech Bad Monkey has been proven to work great with the VK as a boost, it's about $50.
I've Got a TS-9 Tube Screamer and an MXR 10-Band EQ to handle some of the Amp's shortcomings, it's all good.

Eventually, I'll swap the Speaker and the Tubes for quality stuff.

In short, you guys seem to be telling me that this is a good Amp. With some upgrades, it could possibly be a great Amp. At least for my Hobbyist purposes.

Should I just take out the Reverb Tank? or tweak it? What about the footswitch that you can buy seperately?

-Major Bludd
Seriously, this is how i see it.

You already have an OD and an EQ. You're half way there already to having an improved VK. The guy is offering it to you for $275, a decent price. All you'd have to do is buy a a replacement speaker, like a Celestion G12T-75, or a Warehouse 30. The G12T-75 is good for classic rock so this may be suited to you the most. Then, if the previous owner hasn't done this already, swap the tubes out. All in all you're looking at about $400-$450 which to me is not a bad buy at all..

Going on the basis of what you play however, i really do think the the VK is the amp for you after the speaker swap at least. The EQ and OD, and tubes are just going to improve it further but IMO i think they are not necessary unless looking to do metal. Perhaps the EQ would be beneficial simply to add a little bass, as the VK has so very little of it.

About the reverb, just wait until you try it. You may not see any need to change it. And the footswitch is available seperately (obviously unless the guy is selling it with one), but the actual Peavey footswitch is quite flimsy. You could go with a Boss Fs-6.

In summary, i would say try it first if possible, but bear in mind that the amp will sound much better with the improvements mentioned by everyone in this thread. Buy it.

Edit: The dummy jack and FX loop tricks also really do great things for the clarity of the amp. Being so cheap makes them a must.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Jun 11, 2010,
Darkpagey,

Thanks for the detailed and great advice! I had no idea that the Boss Fs-6 Footswitch works with the VK, and I'm glad to hear it because I've been told the VK Footswitch sucks big time. What other Footswitchees work well with he VK?

As far as the Speaker goes, that will happen when I finally decide which one to get!

-Major Bludd
Last edited by Major Bludd at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Check out my clips, all of my stuff is done using a stock Valveking, all I did was replace the tubes since they burned out. 2 Mesa Boogie(Ruby) 6L6GC's, JJ 12AX7 in V1 and V2, Sovtek LPS 12AX7 in V3, that's it, stock everything else.

So then it's not stock.

Quote by Major Bludd
Darkpagey,

Thanks for the detailed and great advice! I had no idea that the Boss Fs-6 Footswitch works with the VK, and I'm glad to hear it because I've been told the VK Footswitch sucks big time. What other Footswitchees work well with he VK?

The VK pedal doesn't suck, there are however better pedals for less money. There are many pedals out there that will work. I bought a generic, off brand pedal from my local shop for 20 bucks. Just ask your local shops if they have anything.

For the reverb, I agree with Darkpagey. Try it first. You may like the stock sound. Like I said, it is usable at low levels. If not, a new tank is pretty cheap.
Last edited by Jason43 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Jason43
I consider tubes maintenance, not a modification. When your tubes wear out and you need to change them, you're not modding the amp.

I agree, if I was to mod the amp using tubes, I'd have to get some Black Sable 12AX7's and such, which are like, $150 preamp tubes, now thats a mod.

Now, I have turned my 112 into a separate head and cab, so I guess it's modded, but sound wise it's stock.

To answer earlier questions, the reverb is not bad, but the pan goes out quick, I need to replace mine cause it's buzzing, but still works, so that's just like a $30 replacement for a Fender 3 spring long pan, which are amazing.

The speaker swap thing does help, but if you can't do that right now, then the texture control and tight and loose switch on the back of the amp will save your life when trying to EQ the thing. And yes, it does work, but you have to listen, cause it just changes how tight the gain sounds, and mixes the A and B channels for more clarity.

The main thing I would recommend if your going to be using your amp at high volumes is the Output Transformer swap, which is like $70. The stock OT is a bit small for a 50 watt amp, and it tends to mud up really bad at around 5-6 on the volume knob, mainly two things, the speaker can't handle it, and the OT can't handle it.
I actually plan on getting a Reverb Pedal sometime soon, so I doubt I'll even use the VK Reverb.
That Saint Vitus song you posted sounds oddly like what my VK sounded stock (way back when). o_O

You're getting it for a pretty decent price. Good stuff.

EQ + Speaker swap is essentially all you will probably need (for your needs). Really.
... okay, maybe an OD eventually.

Reverb is meh, you can adjust it [to some degree] to your liking.

I'm guessing the amp will probably need new tubes, so pick up them while you are at it.

I used to own a VK112 and kinda wished I'd kept it.

It's a pretty mediocre platform when you start out but there's lots of support out there for people willing to DIY some mods.

A new speaker (I'd suggest you look at Eminence closely before jumping on the Celestion/WGS bandwagon) and a good EQ pedal (try a Monte Allums modded Boss GE-7) should leave you with enough tonal flexibility to play pretty much whatever you want. Beyond that you can always add some other pedals to get more gain/effects/profit.

It's always cool to hear a VK bust out with some killer tone. Just goes to show what you can do when you don't just give up on gear right away.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Page 1 of 2