I have Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good speaker that would help me get cleaner cleans, and one for dirtier distorted sounds. Also, any other good modifications to help me get better sounds, and have a higher range of sounds!! Oh by the way its a 1x12

Thanks!!!!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 9, 2010,
I use a Big Muff and a Lovepedal Englishman. I think i need a better speaker to make its sound less "condensed." It almost sounds as if the distorted signal is being squished out of the amp.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
I use a Big Muff and a Lovepedal Englishman. I think i need a better speaker to make its sound less "condensed." It almost sounds as if the distorted signal is being squished out of the amp.
I don't think that's a result of the speaker, nor do I think a better speaker will solve your problem. It probably has to do with the settings on your pedals.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
i thought about this, yet I have used my guitars through my pedal board, into my friends Orange AD-140, and I can get a great sound. Again I have used it with an Matchless Avalon 30, fender deluxe reverbs, etc. and still have gotten better tones then my amp. It might just be a matter of what amps I like better, but this is currently my only amp, and it sounds pretty good clean. My distortion signals just sound quite odd through my specific Hot Rod Deluxe. Does anyone know of any modifications I can get to make it sound better? I was planning on getting another amp, probably a blackface super reverb from the '60s, but until then, what can I do??
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

haha.

I'm confused as to why you have 3 gibson's and a hot rod deluxe. That's what 3k in guitars and 500 in amp?

The fact of the matter is is that your friend's amps are leagues above the hrd. You could plug a stick with strings attached into an Avalon and it would sound heavenly.

The HRD is a good beginner amp but if your comparisons are the ad140 and an Avalon30 there's nothing you can do to the hot rod to get even close.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
yeah, you can see where I spend my money. Does anyone have any ideas on an amp that can get really nice clean tones, but I can also use for blues? Thanks for the help.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
yeah, you can see where I spend my money. Does anyone have any ideas on an amp that can get really nice clean tones, but I can also use for blues? Thanks for the help.

Given how much you've spent on first-rate guitars, it is time to spend a similar amount on a first-rate amplifier. If you are looking for a combo, look at Mesa, Rivera, Dr. Z and Matchless. There are plenty of others out there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
at this point, I'm willing to spend maybe up to 2k or possibly 3k on an amp. I keep gigging more and more and my hot rod just doesn't do anything when I have to go on after a guy who was playing with an Orange 4x12 halfstack. I don't care weather it's a combo or a head, and I was thinking about buying a vintage fender super reverb, but I have been told they can be unreliable. What other amps can achieve the sound?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

You know you want an old blackface, now get out there hunting
..... be vewy vewy qwiet, we're hunting Fenders.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks for all of the help. I have one more question: What are the differences between Blackfaced fender amps, and silverfaced?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

They are voiced differently. Although there is some overlap, it's pre and post CBS. Pre-CBS anything is better. It is possible to "blackface" a silverface and it isn't that expensive to do. It will still be CBS though and no amount of component changes will wash that stench away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 10, 2010,
how much would it cost to blackface a silverfaced amp?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

It can't be done after 1971 or 1972.

Do you need a multiple channel amp? Do you only need this amp to play blues? Do you want a true spring reverb? Do you play any high gain music at all? Do you need a master volume?

Quote by AcousticMirror
It can't be done after 1971 or 1972.

Not true at all. The most difficult to 'blackface' of the silverfaces are the ultralinear models (later 70's), and even they can be 'blackfaced.' I guess you mean only the 1971-1972s can be completely blackfaced, but from what I've heard that's because some of them ARE blackface circuits, since CBS was so willy nilly throwing things onto boards and into chassis.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I definitely want true spring reverb. I do play a lot of blues so I do need an amp that would sound good with high gain, but I also play Jazz. I know many of my favorite modern blues bands use a twin reverb from the 70s. They are silverfaces, but I'm sure they have been blackfaced. I think that these vintage fender amps sounds fantastic, but I've never been able to throw some distortion on one.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
I definitely want true spring reverb. I do play a lot of blues so I do need an amp that would sound good with high gain, but I also play Jazz. I know many of my favorite modern blues bands use a twin reverb from the 70s. They are silverfaces, but I'm sure they have been blackfaced. I think that these vintage fender amps sounds fantastic, but I've never been able to throw some distortion on one.

Don't be so sure. Silverfaces are extremely clean and punchy, particularly the Twin Reverbs. Silverface TR are generally considered pretty good because the main issue with silverfaces is they sound pretty bad when they OD, but you can't get a TR to OD inside anything short of a warehouse, so its kind of null.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
thank you overdrive and distortion pedals! dean fertita, guitarist of the Dead Weather/Queens of the Stone age uses two twin reverbs, which sound great. He uses a big muff and a wooly mammoth for overdrive, and it sounds fantastic.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 10, 2010,
Well any amp can be blackfaced but the later you get after 71, 72 the more work is involved up to rebuilding the entire amp circuit so at a certain point it becomes not worth it.
A lot of people like the silverface fenders. You should try some out and see if you like them. If you do it's great because they are cheaper. The bf's are quite something else though.

For the same price as a new bf fender you can grab a Dr.Z EZG50 which is a fantastic amp. Also, ToneKing imperial or Metropolitan, Carr Rambler, Bruno Cowtipper, and some others I can't remember. If you're willing to spend up to 3k on a good amp that'll last you a while I'd just go for a Bludotone.

Quote by nightraven
you're quite something aren't you!

r we human, or r i robot.

some people believe that the silverfaces sound better left alone?what are the differences?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: