Hi there!

I'm selling a bit of my older gear right now, and am going to be buying a new, bigger, better amplifier for my guitar. =) I was curious, before I go into the stores, if anyone had any recommendations for amplifiers within the $150-$300 range with nice cleans, that would meld well with a TS-9 tube screamer for a nice OD.

I also randomly want to know how amplifiers are hooked up to PA systems, and the wattage which I should be looking for to perform in... ah, small-mid range club venues. Thanks so much! =D
To be run through a PA, a mic is place in front of the speaker. Wattage for small gigs, maby something like 50 watts.

Dunno what amps to suggest you as I typically keep to high gain amps myself
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Keep saving. It's possible to get a decent amp for that price, but with a few hundred more, you could get an amp that would last you much, much longer.

All they do is put a mic in front of the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Amp suggestions: Roland Cube 30X, Vox VT30, Orange CR35LDX, Peavey Bandit 112, Fender Super Champ XD... there are plenty of options.

You may also want to investigate figuring out how to mod your TS9 to get the TS808 sound. It can be done, and apparently it's not difficult. If I had a TS9 I would certainly at least have a read of how it's done.

Live sound is another kettle of fish. Usually, amps are miced, and this goes into the desk. The desk then goes to a power amp (unless the desk or the speakers are active), which then distributes the high level signal to the PA speakers. 300W to 500W stereo should be plenty, i'd say.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Thanks for the quick answers guys!

I was looking at the Fender Frontman amps as I've heard they are pretty stable amps... and have pretty good cleans. Anyone have experience with those? Also, I was looking at the Roland... but it just seemed like such low wattage (as my current amp is 30W, but I'm assuming if it is mic'd this becomes a non issue?)

seemeel: How is the TS-808 sound different from the TS-9? Just out of curiosity... and also, if we're talking about pedal modifications, I own a Dunlop 535Q Wah, are there any modifications you could recommend for that to get a better sound? (Not saying I dislike the pedal as is, but I don't use it as much as I'd like to )= )
I played a Fender Frontman two days ago at an audition, god the overdrive was awful, but im guessing the cleans would be good.

And regarding the Tubescreamer:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html

read and learn
The Fender Frontman 212R is a shamefully bad amplifier. It sounds disgusting... There was nothing about it that I liked when I first played it. I ended up getting a Roland Cube instead and I'm so glad I did. They are very, very solid amps.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by justinb904
Wattage for small gigs, maby something like 50 watts.

Really??

You are aware that people play arena shows with 30 watt amps, right?

TS: The Frontman is a nice amp if you're looking for something that is cheap, has decent cleans, and takes pedals well. The drive channel on it is horrible, though. For the price of a new Frontman (assuming you're looking at the 100w 2x12 combo) you could get a decent used tube amp (such as a Peavey Classic 30).

Also, the TS-808 has more of a vintage sound to it whereas the TS-9 has more of a modern sound. Both are pretty good pedals if you're using them as an OD but they are voiced differently so if you can try both of them out.

The 535q is one of the best mass-produced wah's on the market, imo. Sure there are some boutique wahs that are better (I'm looking at you, Fulltone) but the 535q is a damn nice pedal.
Imagine if you had an original Fender Twin. That's a puny 25W amp but a legend in its own right. If I had one, it's all I'd ever use. Having a Marshall stack (or a Hanneman wall) isn't necessarily going to give you better sound in a big room. It's all about taking the sound from the guitar amp (1W or 100W) and then distributing that sound to the PA speakers. That's where you get your volume from, and how the people in the back row can hear you.

Ahh okay.. thanks so much for all the advice guys!! I really appreciate this! Since I was already lookin' at the Roland I think I'm going to go out and search for them. I'll also look into modifications for the TS-9 as I love the vintage rock sounds (though, the TS-9 as is right now is pretty good for me! Perhaps when I have extra cash I could look into the mods xP) Thanks again!!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Really??

Yeah, but when I think small gig I always get the idea of an unmic'd setup in a pub or something similar. Enough power to be herd plus enough headroom to keep clean, I wouldn't trust 30 watts for that.

Mic'd you could go as low wattage as you want as long as you're getting your sound through monitors. Without monitors, 30 watts sounds about right.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Yeah, but when I think small gig I always get the idea of an unmic'd setup in a pub or something similar. Enough power to be herd plus enough headroom to keep clean, I wouldn't trust 30 watts for that.

Mic'd you could go as low wattage as you want as long as you're getting your sound through monitors. Without monitors, 30 watts sounds about right.

30 watts is plenty to be heard over a drummer and still retain decent cleans.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Really??

Yes, except that he's talking about a Solid State amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I personally wouldn't use a Tube Screamer with a solid state ... there's a reason they're called tube screamers, you know.

Go for a Blackstar or a Peavey Classic 30, might be a bit more expensive than 300, but they are very good tube amps.
Quote by ultimateshreddr
I personally wouldn't use a Tube Screamer with a solid state ... there's a reason they're called tube screamers, you know.

Yeah, because they're supposed to sound like a screaming overdriven tube amp.
Keep in mind they were named before high gain amps became common.

OD pedals were designed as mild distortions, their ability to be cleaned up enough to work as boosts was just a quickly noticed bonus.

OP should maybe look at a Peavey Bandit or Peavey Revolution.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, except that he's talking about a Solid State amp.

Oh yea... those low watt SS amps sound like crap when you turn them up - I wasn't even thinking.