The other day I got a phone call about a guy wanting to sell me an 89 Gibson REMAKE for $150. I went and checked it out and I found that it was a Japanese knock off of an 89 Gibson, I thought it was a reissue, one of those Gibsons that they make new that they made in the past. I bought it anyways, it was only missing some spacers on 2 of the tuners. Took it home, and found out it sounded horribly Jazzy, and there's a big dent in the third fret. Now I'm considering upgrading the single coil pickups to some passive EMG's. It plays good, but I'm not much of a Jazz style player.

Questions are: Should I waste money in making this a better guitar? and if so what should I do?

Here's what I bought:

Here's what it was a rip off of.

BLANKBLANK
Last edited by Arfey McFeeshy at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by Arterial
You got a phone call out of no where?

Pretty much. I didn't know the guy.
BLANKBLANK
first pic doesn't work

a Japanese guitar for $150 is not bad,

if it plays well, that's actually pretty decent
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Pretty much. I didn't know the guy.

so the guy called a random number and he luckily got a guy who plays guitar?
I still cant process the fact that you got a phone call out of no where.
Quote by Tedward
first pic doesn't work

a Japanese guitar for $150 is not bad,

if it plays well, that's actually pretty decent

Check again.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by Arterial

Yes, he used the ultimate-guitar yellowpages.

It was a family friends friend who was also his neighbor. I wasn't expecting He called at a random time, on a random day.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by Arterial

This. I doubt it's a real Japanese made guitar.

Also what single coil pickups are you talking about exactly? And why passive EMGs?
it certainly looks nice.

the dented fret could be an issue though, but swapping the pups isn't that big of a deal.

btw is that a rug? it's badass.
Quote by Arterial

im guessin a friend recommending givin him a call because he wouldve been interested?

no common sense on this board
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
The other day I got a phone call about a guy wanting to sell me an 89 Gibson REMAKE for $150. I went and checked it out and I found that it was a Japanese knock off of an 89 Gibson, I thought it was a reissue, one of those Gibsons that they make new that they made in the past. I bought it anyways, it was only missing some spacers on 2 of the tuners. Took it home, and found out it sounded horribly Jazzy, and there's a big dent in the third fret. Now I'm considering upgrading the single coil pickups to some passive EMG's. It plays good, but I'm not much of a Jazz style player.

Those aren't single coils in the picture.
Buy a 20 yr old Les Paul for $150 shoulda been Your first clue. Also, where are the single coil pups? They're probably just shitty humbuckers.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by siverstorm
This. I doubt it's a real Japanese made guitar.

Also what single coil pickups are you talking about exactly? And why passive EMGs?

I'm not real techy. If they're humbuckers, they're the weakest sounding humbuckers I've ever heard. If they're not humbuckers, what shall they be called?

Why not passive EMG's? Consider me something else. I'm not rich and passive EMG's are cheaper than active EMG's right?
BLANKBLANK
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Yes, he used the ultimate-guitar yellowpages.

It was a family friends friend who was also his neighbor. I wasn't expecting He called at a random time, on a random day.

Hmmmmm.... That sounds... very random.
Quote by Tedward
it certainly looks nice.

the dented fret could be an issue though, but swapping the pups isn't that big of a deal.

btw is that a rug? it's badass.

It doesn't mess with the tone any. It just kills my finger when I bend on the third fret on the G string. It's hard to explain, I'll try to get a good picture.

I'd have to say my rug doesn't deserve to be in a trashy room like mine.

Edit:

BLANKBLANK
Last edited by Arfey McFeeshy at Jun 9, 2010,
They have two coils. They're humbuckers. The fact that they sound so bad just means that they're some Chinese buckers or something.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-H1-Passive-Electric-Guitar-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=308000

$70 for a passive EMG? damn.

For $130 you get two normal passive pickups.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

It's known that passive EMGs sound like crap.

The SD set there is a very versatile one, and it's 10 bucks cheaper than getting two EMG HZs. And the plus side to the Duncans is that you can actually play genres other than metal in case you ever feel like it.
i think youre jumping the gun a bit siverstorm..we needa know what style of music his pickups are to cater to...
all we have so far is "not jazz".
To be honest I would probably stay away from that guitar. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by silverstorm
They have two coils. They're humbuckers. The fact that they sound so bad just means that they're some Chinese buckers or something.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ckup?sku=308000

$70 for a passive EMG? damn.

For $130 you get two normal passive pickups.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....Set-?sku=300030

It's known that passive EMGs sound like crap.

The SD set there is a very versatile one, and it's 10 bucks cheaper than getting two EMG HZs. And the plus side to the Duncans is that you can actually play genres other than metal in case you ever feel like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110541692635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What of these? I swear if anyone else bids on these I'm gonna be angry.

I play several styles of music btw.
BLANKBLANK
they might not be shitty humbuckers, just low output, and not great for teh br00tz.

At first I thought the actual fret was dented, which happened to my friends guitar (up on like the 21st fret though, so not a big deal). That actually looks fairly uncomfortable to play on, but I'm sure a nearby music store could fix it. They'll probably gouge you though.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be elitist on you guys, but :

1) Duncan-Designed =

2) Passive-EMGs =

I mean, they aren't terrible, but the real thing is like, $30 more, and it's worth it.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 9, 2010,
@Arterial: I just suggested it because it was versatile.

& I agree with Tedward's last post about the duncan designed and passive emgs.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110541692635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What of these? I swear if anyone else bids on these I'm gonna be angry.

I play several styles of music btw.

Duncan designed is NOT the same as seymour duncan pups. I've heard from many people duncan designed pups are crap. In fact I've never heard of anyone who liked them.
^The guy I bought it from said it was. He wasn't very smart. I knew it was too good to be true. I was like "Where's the Gibson emblem?," when he brought it out.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
^The guy I bought it from said it was. He wasn't very smart. I knew it was too good to be true. I was like "Where's the Gibson emblem?," when he brought it out.

Then why did you buy it?
Blue Red Yellow Green
It's better than my other guitar, which was a Hamer Scarab. Plus my dad paid $100 for it, so technically I only paid 50.
BLANKBLANK