I'm looking to buy a tube half stack...what should I get? I play everything from jazz to death metal, so versatility is a big factor. I'm looking at a Peavey ValveKing or a B52 AT100 on craigslist right now. My price limit is $600, used equipment is perfectly fine. Thanks for any suggestions
Quote by AcousticMirror
why do you need a half stack. you won't get a good one for 600.

You can find a lot of VTM's with 4x12 cabs for less than 600 on the used market.

Basically for that price range you will be looking at Raven, B52 and Bugera new or some really good deals used....
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
i've got the peavey valveking 112, and it does great clean and distortion. i would go the next one up i think its a 212. you should try em out before you decide though
Quote by i_am_metalhead

You can find a lot of VTM's with 4x12 cabs for less than 600 on the used market.

VTMs aren't versatile enough to go from jazz to death metal.

TS: You can find good deals out there for $600...but not many amps in that price range will have that kind of versatility. The B52 AT100 is a decent head...enough gain to do death metal, and a decent clean channel and reverb. Watch out for a Peavey Ultra or XXX...they 3 channels, have tons of gain, and a great clean channel too. Super versatile amps.
From my experience, a Valveking isn't gonna do death metal. Trust me.

Check out the Bugera 6262 or 333XL. The first is basically a copy of Peavey's 5150 and the second is a copy of the XXX heads. They're really good amps, and Bugera is finally to the point of making reliable amps. I own a Bugera V55, and am comfortable gigging without a backup, which is a big deal for me.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by AcousticMirror
why do you need a half stack. you won't get a good one for 600.

This is probably true, for you. I've seen 5150 stacks go for that, but those aren't really made for versatility. I hate to be one of those guys, but consider combos. It can be done, but it's going to be hard to find and still probably not as good.

If you're dead-set on a halfstack, you might try to find a used Carvin MTS or V3. Both kind of fall a little short of the mark on jazz sounds, but are good on just about everything else. There are also maybe some Bugeras, but for a tube half-stack at that price, you're going to make compromises on tone for some sounds, period.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You can find a lot of VTM's with 4x12 cabs for less than 600 on the used market

This is true, but the VTM is straight single channel amp; it is brutally simple. This is fine, but not really a shining example of a versatile amp. Not really what TS specified.

I'm not trying to dig on you, samloeffer_17, but lots of people list jazz and country and such as things they like to play because it makes them seem multi-faceted. If you're one of those people, feel free to drop the pretense. If so, 5150s, 6262s, VTMs, and even Windsors, are probably fine (hell, the 5150 is not just "fine", it's a great rock/metal amp for any price). But if playing multiple, wildly differing genres is really that important to you, then get ready to make compromises for a tube half-stack for $600.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333

It was a joke... jeesh.

Quote by Flying Couch
This is true, but the VTM is straight single channel amp; it is brutally simple. This is fine, but not really a shining example of a versatile amp. Not really what TS specified.

Seriously, is everyone's sarcasm detector broken today or something?
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 9, 2010,
I'd rather people state this
budget
what do you want out of your amp in your fantasy dream land.
I don't care what you play.
you want it to have a clean channel?
does it have to have good distortion?
you using pedals?
you need an effects loop?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by eyebanez333

I disagree. I mean, if I was a world class jazz virtuoso, I wouldn't record with one, but I mean it would definitely pull off a decent jazz tone at a gig, imo.

And it's not really a single channel amp. It has 2 inputs and a lot of switches that can change up the sound A LOT, compared to any other singlechannel head. And it has an FX Loop.

And they are so cheap because they are sleeper amps, most people have never heard of them, not to mention they are ugly as ****.

TS: I'll probably get flamed for this, but maybe go to the shop and try out a Bugera 333XL?

EDIT: disregard that, go for a Carvin.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 9, 2010,
what is VTM long for? i havent heard that abbreviation before.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is VTM long for? i havent heard that abbreviation before.

VTM is a VTM. It was made by Peavey in the late 80's/early 90's and comes in a 60 watt and 120 watt version (Hence the VTM 60 and the VTM 120). Its modeled after a "hot rodded" JCM 800 - it was basically Peavey's answer to all of the guitarists who were modding their 800s to get a higher gain tone out of them.

Metalheadit:

Quote by Tedward
Vacuum Tube Modified

Really? I never knew that it stood for anything lol
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 9, 2010,
I actually have a review a couple pages back with a lot of pics

it's dirty as hell but it sounds good. Apparently they sell at garage sales for like $200, sometimes for head + the matching cab! I got mine in a trade worth about $600.

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Peavey-VTM60-VTM-60-Amplifier-Head_W0QQitemZ320543204876QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4aa1dd260c

$400 shipping

honestly, for anyone on a $600 budget, you won't get much better for a non-chinese halfstack.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 9, 2010,
Bugera 333
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by i_am_metalhead
VTM is a VTM. It was made by Peavey in the late 80's/early 90's and comes in a 60 watt and 120 watt version (Hence the VTM 60 and the VTM 120). Its modeled after a "hot rodded" JCM 800 - it was basically Peavey's answer to all of the guitarists who were modding their 800s to get a higher gain tone out of them.

Metalheadit:

Really? I never knew that it stood for anything lol

thanks guys. i am suppreised i hadnt heard of one before.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/