I'm not entirely sure if this should be here or the electric guitar forum but it involves gear. Not very long ago I bought a white Gibson SG with coil taps (click ). It sounds great and I love it. However, I've been thinking recently that maybe that shit ton of money that I shelled out for it should have gone towards a new amp. I have a custom built telecaster that I also love. I've been looking at getting an Orange Rockerverb 100.

So basically I'm asking...should I sell the Gibson (I'd hopefully get like $1,000. maybe more, there's absolutely no damage or wear to it) and get a nice amp?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Jun 9, 2010,
Your link doesn't work, has a ) at the end that's not supposed to be there

I'd go for the new amp though. I love the SG Standards, but it's not doing you much good with those amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You'd notice a difference immediately with a new amp.

Most guitars are going to sound the same through your amp. But an Orange rockerverb is going to inspire you to play.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Depends how much you ove the Gibby
In my mind it kind of makes more sense to keep the Gibson and save for a new amp because if you're really happy with the guitar it doesn't make sense to sell it.

Sure it's usually advisable to upgrade amp first but I'd just save up for the amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'd recommend that you sell your guitar and get a new amp but I highly doubt you're gonna get $1000 for it.
i think i could get $1000. it's a few months old. there is no cosmetic damage whatsoever. retailed at $1300, a practically brand new guitar for $300 off. i think it's a good deal.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Quote by crzysnowborder
i think i could get $1000. it's a few months old. there is no cosmetic damage whatsoever. retailed at $1300, a practically brand new guitar for $300 off. i think it's a good deal.

What you think and what will actually happen are two different things. Once you buy a guitar it automatically loses a huge hunk of value. You'll probably get 900 tops.
Ok thats probably true. But still, should I sell it and get that $800 or $900 and put it towards an Orange? Orange because i love the tone and that's what i want to get. Just in case anyone is going to hate on me for whatever reason.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Quote by crzysnowborder
Ok thats probably true. But still, should I sell it and get that $800 or $900 and put it towards an Orange? Orange because i love the tone and that's what i want to get. Just in case anyone is going to hate on me for whatever reason.

Well Oranges are amazing amps but they are also very expensive. Is there a reason why you specifically want an Orange - if its to get that highly sought after British crunch tone then there are plenty of amps that can do that at a cheaper price.
enlighten me please. i'm definitely open to suggestions. for orange, i like the tone, i like the look. i'll be honest and say that i like the brand name.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
So I take it you are after a British type tone? Any specific bands that have a tone that you like? Just trying to get an idea of whether you're looking for something high gain, mid gain, etc.