I have been singing for a while, but just to songs on the radio. The time has come where I would like to better myself as a singer. When singing songs, I can hit pitches, but my voice just sounds horrible. For one, I am always nasally and always have been. I just have no clue what to do to sound better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDICneHbT-I

Any advice, pointers, exercises would be appreciated.
Voice sounds fine to me, the problem is the song choice with its unusual phrasing. And you are not enunciating the words well. Pick something much simpler and make a new video like a beatles song.
The nasal reason is because you're singing into your nose. You don't want that.

How to fix it is quite easy. Simply plug your nose with your fingers and sing, if your nose is vibrating alot, that means you're sending the air there. Try to send the air out of your mouth through, I guess moving the airstream down, which would mean opening your throat a bit more. Screw around with this until your nose no longer vibrates.
I've tried lessons. I just didn't like them. Plus, they are too expensive for me right now.

Those are my own lyrics. I have no clue how to phrase and just quickly came with up with those words. I'll record a cover of Revolution or at least a small part. by the Beatles because I feel comfortable singing that song.
If you look miserable and slouch you'll sound miserable, make sure you stand up straight and look cheerful and enthusiastic - that'll come through in your singing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This sounded better. My suggestion is not to try and embelish the ending of some phrases. For example the way you say can from 1:25-1:28. That is better left for the pros. I would focus on a straight tone instead. Also need to work more on the enunciation as there were times it was difficult to understand the words.
Thanks! I've gotten to the point of really wanting to make myself a better singer. Thanks for the suggestions. Any exercises you'd recommended for me?
Learn to actually sing, as in focus on the basics of what you should be doing with your breaths. At the moment you're singing like you talk, all the air is coming from the top of your head, it makes you sound nasal, breathy and weak.

Work on starting the note from deep in your chest and allow it to build up from there. When it get's to your head that's where it'll get some shape and character but you need to have something to work with in the first place and that comes from the diapraghm. Don't worry too much about trying to sing songs yet or sounding cool, just work on creating a fuller tone to work with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
One thing I did was check out Singing Success.

NO THIS IS NOT AN AD!

I got it off the internet and the warmups, techniques and lessons were incredible. They helped me realize exactly what was wrong. Check it out, it's worth a shot (..torrent it..)
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Yeah, I already have :P It has helped me so much in a short time.
yeah it's amazing. just follow it very precisely. and if you need extra tips, check out their youtube channel, they answer some very specific questions and give great tips.

good luck!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"