I've pretty much dropped everything in my life to play guitar. It's all I really care about these days. I wake up, I play guitar, take a shower, play guitar, go to the gym, play guitar, then pass out. I've just invested so much time into this... I can't get into a band because nobody needs a guitarist. There are just so many ****ing people who play guitar, and people would rather play with their friends then some stranger, regardless of skill. It seems like for every one guy who plays drums or bass there are 50 who play guitar.

There is no one to play with in my area who is really serious about making it as a musician. The people I do jam with never have time to practice or they don't take it seriously. The only person I play with regularly is a bassist who never has his shit down. I learn songs on guitar faster then he learns shit.

I've just put so much time in to this and I'm starting to think that it was all for ****ing nothing. I had some retarded idea in my head that if I got as good as Vai or Satriani that I would make it for sure. Now I'm scared that I'm going to end up working at a grocery store or some shit for the rest of my life. I'm a ****ing high school drop out bum.

Should I just give up and try to scrape together some amount of education (and likely end up doing some shit job I don't care about the rest of my life) or should I keep going and risk poverty?
Get back in school.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Suicide.

Dont mind me, I say it to everyone who makes a thread like this with the theory that if I say it enough, it will eventually happen. Your life is not worth living.

I can probably get arrested for that though.
So here is a picture of a flower. I couldnt be bothered finding a link because it's all so horridly pointless.

Actually, ignore all that. Deleting it is a worthless exercise in futility.
Welcome to adolescence.
...In my opinion.
Quote by KeepOnRotting

LMFAO

Do what you want to do
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
first of all i think it's admirable for you to keep reaching for something that most people write off as a pipe dream (not being sarcastic, not a whole lot of dedicated musicians where i live, tried getting a good band together for 4 years now, finally succeeded)

this is what I would do: don't think of your life as a give all/take all kind of thing, right now lets say you have school and guitar, both of which should take up a certain amount of your attention. give yourself a time limit say - a year from now, and during this time limit, you try your best to make it and fulfill whatever goals you may want to fulfill while putting school on the back burner (take some online courses or whatever) after meeting the deadline, you revert, don't spend too much time on guitar, concentrate on getting an education together but still allow yourself to practice enough to keep your skill level up and keep your eyelid peeled for people that might want to play music with you. its all time management, man.
I'd advise either go back to school for something music related, or move sell everything you own except your guitar and head out to LA to try to make it big.
Quote by jetfuel495
<90% of all musicians aren't able to earn a living on music alone anyway. You'd be better off getting an education and a degree in something that interests you.

Agreed. And believe me its really difficult to get even a semi well paying job now a days without either A. A ****tun of experience or B. A degree C. Having some sort of inside connections. So I say go to school, get a degree in something that you are interested in, get a job, do gigs on the weekends or something because both A and C are usually pretty shaky routes. (:
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
1. get GED, high school diploma's are jokes
2. get an AAS degree in something with decent work like some engineering or HVAC or medical tech. easy classes and decent money
3. graduate
4. get job
5. continue to play guitar on the side

quit bitching and face the facts, life's hard, it sucks, dreams don't come true. But you can still have fun AND have a decent life without having to get a large amount of education.
My bro was on the Dean's List every semester at a good telecommunications college, and still couldn't get a paying job out of college.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I would love to sell everything I own and move to L.A., unfortunately I don't own a whole lot to sell and I have no idea what the music scene is like in L.A. So yeah. **** that.

I guess I'll give it another year of hard practice and do a couple high school courses here and there. I only need 5 credits to get my diploma. If shit is still going badly in a year then I'll just have to buck up and go to college or something. God only knows what college would take me in. The only course I passed in grade 12 was music.

If you try to get into a college for a degree in music do they care a lot about your marks?
1. Get a bass.
2. Get either a MIDI controller or some sort of percussion(Optional, plenty of old Jazz stuff and modern self-release EP's don't have proper percussion instruments)
3. Get some decent recording hardware and software.
4. Use the internet to promote, market, keep up with fans, release, etc.
5. Get a job. Not a shit job like working at McDonalds, real things like a salesman, a businessman's assistant, hell, fi you're good at writing an editorial writer for a local paper, something that plays on your other strengths.
6. Move back in with mom and dad. Your dignity can take a hit to help you not be homeless.
7. While doing all this, spend the nights attending the local community college to get an AA degree.
8. Use combined money from music sales and your job to pay for a tutor to get that GED to a high school diploma of sorts.
9. Repeat step 8 on a low-cost college.

Boom. Not as easy as 1-2-3, but this is just a vague skeleton so your life doesn't get distorted because of it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Write some music and try putting together your own band.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Get some mad wicked bass skills. Every band around will want you.

But in all seriousness, don't give up on your education. Get certified in a trade, get an Associates degree or something.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Wolforn
I would love to sell everything I own and move to L.A., unfortunately I don't own a whole lot to sell and I have no idea what the music scene is like in L.A. So yeah. **** that.

I guess I'll give it another year of hard practice and do a couple high school courses here and there. I only need 5 credits to get my diploma. If shit is still going badly in a year then I'll just have to buck up and go to college or something. God only knows what college would take me in. The only course I passed in grade 12 was music.

If you try to get into a college for a degree in music do they care a lot about your marks?

you're a lot beter off going to community college after you get your diploma or equivalent, and use community college as a potential launch pad into other 4 year institutions or vocational schools. it pretty much invalidates your high school gpa and gives you a new one to start fresh
Dude, to put it blunt... there are thousands of washed up guitarist who can smoke you (and me), so it's not just about getting good at it. There are so many things that come into play. Luck being one of them. The best thing you can do is to realize that it's a hobby and that if you can find the right band mates it might turn into a gigable hobby someday, but your probably not going to pay the bills with it so you better start thinking about the future.

Somebody had a good idea... you should look into one of those technical trade schools or technician programs for a short term investment (like 1-2 years) and good money.

Then you can afford to take your hobby more seriously- indefinitely, without taking such a big risk of winding up a dish washer that plays a mean guitar, the worlds full of those and nothing wrong with that, but it's a hard life.
~JP~
Quote by Wolforn
I can't get into a band because nobody needs a guitarist. There are just so many ****ing people who play guitar, and people would rather play with their friends then some stranger, regardless of skill. It seems like for every one guy who plays drums or bass there are 50 who play guitar. There is no one to play with in my area who is really serious about making it as a musician. The people I do jam with never have time to practice or they don't take it seriously. The only person I play with regularly is a bassist who never has his shit down. I learn songs on guitar faster then he learns shit.

seriously how hard have you looked?

okay, so dont join a band.. you dont need a band to perform your own songs at open mic night on the weekends. you need to find a hot spot where ADULT musicians hang out. dont just limit yourself to people you know.. meet strangers.

try appealing to other peoples interests. when you meet somebody you want to start a serious band with.. explain how it benefits them as well. be willing to play/write music they like. dont just make it about you, you know.. more people feel exactly like you then you think.. just remember this.. a dream shared becomes reality.

Quote by Wolforn
I've just put so much time in to this and I'm starting to think that it was all for ****ing nothing. I had some retarded idea in my head that if I got as good as Vai or Satriani that I would make it for sure.

its not just about being good at guitar.. those people made contacts in the music industry and built a reputation for themselves. you gotta promote yourself man.. but first ask yourself what do you want to be famous for.. ask yourself that question and go out and ****ing do it man.. you wanna be a rockstar.. go play concerts and rock the **** out. you want to be memorable? what do you even want to be remembered for?

Quote by Wolforn
Now I'm scared that I'm going to end up working at a grocery store or some shit for the rest of my life. I'm a ****ing high school drop out bum. Should I just give up and try to scrape together some amount of education (and likely end up doing some shit job I don't care about the rest of my life) or should I keep going and risk poverty?

if you want a job in the music industry.. you need to consider it as a job. as with any job, you can't just quit just because you think its going nowhere. Now I work for a record label in Detroit.. and let me tell you, the music industry is THE BIGGEST dead end job.. because you're not getting paid at the end of the week. There's no payoff until you can either A) sell out shows.. or B) sell merchandise. My manager considers a "9 to 5" the easy way out. At least your getting paid.

Now, unless you have the opportunity to get a major degree.. id say screw college. get a GED at least. but your gonna need a job if you do music or not. Just do both.
I know exactly how you feel
Don't give up! You are just facing some obstacles you need to overcome

Imo, you should stop focusing on getting "good as Vai or Satriani" and try to make something out of the skill you already have.
-try to make some money busking
-write songs you can play by yourself
-keep looking for bands, I play guitar too so I know its hard, but far from impossible
-start your own band
-if you are good enough, get a guitar related job, like teacher or sessionist

And you should finish high school, just in case you really need a job, but keep practicing and getting better and never give up on your dreams. Going hobo is not as bad as settleing down for a life you don't want
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Get a job, you god damn hippy.

Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

CIJ 72 RE Custom Tele
Laney AOR Pro tube 30W
How many slots do you think are actually open for "mediocre shredders with random, half-understood jazz influences who rip off the tools that buy guitar rags" like Satriani and Vai, anyway?