Alright guys, so a Telecaster customization project has been on my Gear Wish List for some time now, and this past weekend a friend of mine gave me one for free! Now, being that it is a Squier, I do have my doubts and questions, so I'm looking for some advice and moral support from my fellow UGers...

Now then, here's what I'm working with:

It has it's fair share of chips, but I would be repainting it anyway:

For my design, I want different electronics and I'm not big on Squier necks, so I'm pretty much only keeping the body:

As for what I'm going for with the design, here's what I'm thinking:

And now here are the two major questions I'm looking for some advice on...
1.) Is there any noticeable tonal difference between a Squier Tele body and a Fender MIM one?
2.) Will a Warmoth Tele neck fit a Squier neck pocket?
Twin humbuckers... interesting. Not sure about the red pickguard though.

What are the woods used in the two bodies? I would say that the MIM body would be better, but NOTICEABLY better? Who knows.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Twin humbuckers... interesting. Not sure about the red pickguard though.

What are the woods used in the two bodies? I would say that the MIM body would be better, but NOTICEABLY better? Who knows.

Yeah, I chose the red pickguard just for a sharp contrast, and the twin humbuckers because although I love the Telecaster body shape, I'm not a fan of that signature "twang". I do want to do a coil-tap thing for some nice clean tones though...

As for what the woods are, I have no idea...that's where the experienced people in the GB&C forum come in
Both are made of alder. MIMs are 1-2 piece iirc and squiers are anywhere from 3-5. not much of a difference in sound.

good luck with the painting, routing, and buying a whole new bridge to accomodate that humbucker, and neck for the block inlays and ebony fretboard. you'll need it. hell, buying a new neck and bridge are the easy parts.
Quote by Invader Jim
Both are made of alder. MIMs are 1-2 piece iirc and squiers are anywhere from 3-5. not much of a difference in sound.

good luck with the painting, routing, and buying a whole new bridge to accomodate that humbucker, and neck for the block inlays and ebony fretboard. you'll need it. hell, buying a new neck and bridge are the easy parts.

Thanks! It's good to know they're not that different...

I'm not really worried about the bridge, these go on eBay for like $15:

I know I'll have to do a little bit of routing, but I did that with my last project too (see profile pic), so at least I'm prepared for that.

As for the painting, I do think I'll need some luck with that... I've never painted a guitar before, but I want to be able to do it myself, and there's no better guitar to start off on than a free Squier!

Say Jim, you'd probably know, will a Warmoth Telecaster neck fit the pocket on a Squier?
Hmm...I've looked over the website quite a bit, and I was under the impression that they shaped the heel to fit a certain type of guitar, such as a Fender. Anyone else out there ever try putting a Warmoth Fender-style neck on a Squier?
If you are in the UK take a look at Axetec.com. They are the dogs boollocks for parts.

thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
Wilko Johnson has a tele in that scheme, it looks pretty good.

Band he was in wasnt bad either: Link

No red pickguard in that link, but the picture shows he fitted it later.

Best of luck with this, i'll be watching it
Quote by thrench
If you are in the UK take a look at Axetec.com. They are the dogs boollocks for parts.

Ah, I'm in the U.S. brotha, I took a look at the site anyway though...I like the link for "Happiness"
Quote by Down&Out
Wilko Johnson has a tele in that scheme, it looks pretty good.

*Awesomeness*

Band he was in wasnt bad either: Link

No red pickguard in that link, but the picture shows he fitted it later.

Best of luck with this, i'll be watching it

Nice find mate! Here's to hoping mine comes out as good as that one...
Last edited by RicoTheBeast at Jun 10, 2010,