I have a peavey 212 combo amp.. but if im going to play shows with my band im gonna need more volume with that. its a $900 dollar amp so it doesn't suck, so i wanted to just add a cab to it but im not sure whether i can or should do that. im not necessarily an expert about amps so thats why i'm asking what i should do if i wanted to play shows.

almost always do i see half stacks at shows though.. so what am i going to do with my combo amp? whats the point of a combo amp if no one uses it for shows? someone help me out..
You can certainly use it for shows if you stick a mic in front of it. A lot of places are not so large that you would have to do that. I have a Carvin 100-watt 2x12 that is freakishly loud. If you need to move more air, put your 2x12 on top of a good cabinet. Plenty of people do that.

If you want a good half stack, start saving your dollars because they aren't cheap. They certainly are a blast and they are all the amplifier you will need. You also have to consider how you plan to transport it. I had a friend back in the 70s who ran into problems transporting his Marshall half stack in his TR7. He managed to make it fit, but it wasn't easy.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
well what type of mic to put in front of it? like a type of singing mic? or are there specific amp mics?
Quote by andrewroxsox
well what type of mic to put in front of it? like a type of singing mic? or are there specific amp mics?

You can stick just about any mic in front of an amp, but I'd stick with a good dynamic microphone. The Sure SM57 is legendary for this. I just bought a set of Carvin M67 mics that are clones of Sure's Beta 57A and they seem to be great mics. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good instrument mic.
man you need a good pa to stick i mic infront of it. most venues especially for starting bands dont have good pa and sometimes you even have to supply your own. my best advice is to get some kidna of half stack. one good reason is you have the volume you want cause they have the power you need, plus you will look more professional showing up to a show with a half stack rather than a dinky amp. and standing out from the other bands its very important too if you want to stick in peoples minds when they go home
Specifically what peavey 2x12? technically this amp should be more than fine for playing live (whether SS, Digital, or Tube). Any venue worth playing at will have its own PA and such.

as for the "standing out from the other bands its very important too if you want to stick in peoples minds when they go home" comment showing up with a halfstack or a combo amp in reality makes little difference to whether people will remember you or not. showing up with a half stack will make you look cool while you're setting up and before you start playing but the only thing that will make you memorable is the show you put on. no one is going to be like, "hey you remember those guys with the cool halfstack amps? those guys had big amps and were awesome because of it." if your band sucks and you play like crap and or put on a bad show no one will care what kind of amp you have in the background..... if anything it will make you a bigger laughing stock as people will say "those guys thought they were cool rollin' in those big expensive amps and they just sucked."
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Specifically what peavey 2x12? technically this amp should be more than fine for playing live (whether SS, Digital, or Tube). Any venue worth playing at will have its own PA and such.

as for the "standing out from the other bands its very important too if you want to stick in peoples minds when they go home" comment showing up with a halfstack or a combo amp in reality makes little difference to whether people will remember you or not. showing up with a half stack will make you look cool while you're setting up and before you start playing but the only thing that will make you memorable is the show you put on. no one is going to be like, "hey you remember those guys with the cool halfstack amps? those guys had big amps and were awesome because of it." if your band sucks and you play like crap and or put on a bad show no one will care what kind of amp you have in the background..... if anything it will make you a bigger laughing stock as people will say "those guys thought they were cool rollin' in those big expensive amps and they just sucked."

The truth has been spoken..
guys it's 900 dollars so it doesn't suck.

umm

what amp is it? why do you need it to be louder? how many watts is it? how big are your gigs.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
its a Peavey TransTube 212 EFX Combo Guitar Amplifier with 400 watts. yeah i did some reading and i doubt im going to need all of the volume for our beginning shows and what not. until we start playing the larger venues ill use that until i can buy a half stack. every other band uses a half stack at the larger venues so i suppose i should do that.

and shut up i meant like, dont think i have a sucky amp that im just trying to get volume off of, its sounds awesome but i didnt know if it needed more. it still doesnt suck though hahaha.
Quote by andrewroxsox
its a Peavey TransTube 212 EFX Combo Guitar Amplifier with 400 watts. yeah i did some reading and i doubt im going to need all of the volume for our beginning shows and what not. until we start playing the larger venues ill use that until i can buy a half stack. every other band uses a half stack at the larger venues so i suppose i should do that.

and shut up i meant like, dont think i have a sucky amp that im just trying to get volume off of, its sounds awesome but i didnt know if it needed more. it still doesnt suck though hahaha.

A lot of it will have to do with the venue itself. Unless you are playing Carnegie Hall (in which case, what the hell are you doing here?) you will not be playing in a place designed for performing music. Some relatively small venues seem to be designed to suck up your sound and volume. Add a few hundred people to the mix and even more of your sound will disappear. I've seen more than a few soundchecks where things sounded fine in the empty venue and as soon as it filled up with people, you couldn't hardly hear the band. Your half stack may be overpowered, but just like money; it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A halfstack is going to be louder, which is always good. I say that because you can always turn a loud amp down, but you can't always turn a not-so-loud amp up to the necessary volume. Sure, you can mic it, but if the P.A. isn't very good or it was installed just for vocals, you're going to have a problem.
Quote by andrewroxsox

No, the Peavey Transtube 212 EFX is only 100 watts. It's also NOT 900 dollars.

and halfstacks aren't necessary to gig....
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/transtube_212_efx/index.html

this is your amp?

Quote by andrewroxsox

First, 400 watts? It's an 80 watt amp.

Second, according to this review, the Transtube is loud for its size, and it's not small. I play through a classic 30, which is a 1x12 30 watt amp if you dont already know, I've played a couple small places and didnt even need to mic it. That's less than half the power, moving half the air as your amp. Point is, are you sure your amp isn't loud enough? Have you played shows where you haven't been able to cut through? If you have, are you EQing properly?

And lastly, and probably most importantly, why do you care so much that other bands have halfstacks?