I was gonna buy a rockerverb 50 combo in the store yesterday but one of my friends said that if i were to get the combo it would have problems really soon as the heat of the tubes would melt the speakers or something like that. He asked me to buy the head instead but i was quite skeptical so i went home to do some research. Anyone on UG know about problems like this? And what would you vouch for, the combo or the head with the cabs? Thanks
Last edited by Gilbert93 at Jun 10, 2010,
Absolute rubbish! Amplifier companies have been making tube combos for more than fifty years and they are still going strong. If there were inherent flaws that caused speaker melting or anything else that would make the amp fail, then the manufacturers would have stopped making them decades ago. There are plenty of fine tube combo amps out there. Buy one and play the living sh@t out of it. You will enjoy it immensely.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Melt the speakers? Erm...

Tube amps do get hot, and yeah, if you were to leave on a tube combo or head for an extremely long time, aside from burning out the tubes, the heat could potentially de-solder the tube sockets...but, that would take a lot. I meant....a loooot.

Unless that specific amp has a known easy-overheating issue (like my Marshall JCM-2000 apparently does, though I have never had a single problem with it), I wouldn't worry about that.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
nope, but the pressure coming off the back of the speakers can potentially rattle the tubes
feel free to read more, though this guy over-dramatizes it a bit
http://eurotubes.com/euro-i.htm#13.

most good tube amps don't seem to have this problem, at least in my experience
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 10, 2010,
I've also heard stories of the vibrations of the speakers can cause the tubes to shake massively and they crack or fall out. What do you guys think about that story?
I can't say I've ever had it happen, seen it happen or even heard of it happening. You're far more likely to shake them loose in the back of the van.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Gilbert93
I've also heard stories of the vibrations of the speakers can cause the tubes to shake massively and they crack or fall out. What do you guys think about that story?

It sounds like an old wives' tale to me. I've seen Fender and Peavey tube combos from the early 70s that have been used almost to death and they never had any problems with the tubes or any other problems related to heat. Tube combos work fine. If you are really worried, buy a small electric fan and stick it behind your amp when you gig. A lot of people do that to cool their amplifiers (even solid-state amplifiers).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Lukesterspy
Tube amps do get hot, and yeah, if you were to leave on a tube combo or head for an extremely long time, aside from burning out the tubes, the heat could potentially de-solder the tube sockets...but, that would take a lot. I meant....a loooot.

Typically used solders have a melting point around 360 degrees F. Specifically, the solder must be in direct contact with a heat source of 360 degrees F or more to melt. You will not melt solder with tubes no matter how long they are kept on unless a ridiculously low melting point solder was used in the amp.

To the TS, tubes have never in their history melted a speaker in a combo amp (to my knowledge). The only thing that is a concern in a combo and not so much a head is tube microphonics. Tubes in most combos endure quite a bit more vibration than tubes in heads. So it's optimal to have tubes that are tested for low microphonics in a combo moreso than in a head.
Your friend is smoking crack - respectable manufacturers like Orange test their stuff and wouldn't sell an amp that melts itself.

The reason people buy head/cab setups rather than combos is either to split up the weight, or to get a speaker configuration that isn't available in a combo such as 4x12".
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Not only do they melt the speakers, some of the higher gain ones can even melt their way through the floor into the basement.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Not only do they melt the speakers, some of the higher gain ones can even melt their way through the floor into the basement.

And that's when you call Sigourney Weaver?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
people have said that combos arent as clear or put more wear on tubes because all teh vibration is bad for the tubes. that is speculation. again combo have always been used, and most are quite fine without any issues.

yes tubes get hot, not really hot eenough to cause damage, althought somestimes tehy overheat. that generally means the tube burns out. that can happen with any amp. melting stuff? no. however tehy do get hot enough to give you a nice burn.
Quote by Cathbard
And that's when you call Sigourney Weaver?

Yes, and 1.2 hours later she gives birth to a human - tube combo hybrid.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
but guys...
combos aren't as cool.

Understandably the tubes in a combo are closer to the source of vibrations since they share contact points in the combo cab but a head on a 412 experiences some pretty intense shaking as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Mad Marius
Yes, and 1.2 hours later she gives birth to a human - tube combo hybrid.

blackstar ht5?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Gilbert93
I was gonna buy a rockerverb 50 combo in the store yesterday but one of my friends said that if i were to get the combo it would have problems really soon as the heat of the tubes would melt the speakers or something like that. He asked me to buy the head instead but i was quite skeptical so i went home to do some research. Anyone on UG know about problems like this? And what would you vouch for, the combo or the head with the cabs? Thanks

lawl, ask your friend where he heard this ridic lie.
Quote by AcousticMirror
blackstar ht5?

Nah, a Marshall Valvestate

THE HORROR!!!!!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think that the only problems with combos that I know of are:

1. Weight
2. Tube life slightly diminished
3. The original guitarist in my band has a 63 Vox AC30 and he would always tell me that it would run hot and then he joined us at a bar one night and it caught on fire about 45 minutes into our first set. :/ I imagine this is extremely rare and would never happen with modern amps, but hey I guess it's worth mentioning.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Those old Vox amps are prone to that from what I hear. Never seen one do it but I've heard several stories.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs