I'm new to songwriting and really just need kind of some basic guidelines to follow, my main influences are nirvana, stone temple pilots, puddle of mudd, velvet revolver, ect.. so if i do write any music its not going to be with the lyrics scrictly as the main form of expression.

and if there was anywhere i should've looked first my apologies, i'm not very good at finding information, any help is greatly appreciated
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Nirvana? Pick three chords, vary up the way you strum them occasionally, and Voila! You've got it down.
haha real funny but seriously i'm looking for help with songwriting not to hear jokes about kurt cobain
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Well the song structures in the grunge bands are pretty simple so you should be able to figure that out pretty easy. Try some new bands like Streetlight Manifesto or Nuetral Milk Hotel man the lyrics from those guys are simply awesome and will show you some good songwriting in action. Also study poetry, and the english language learning how to write properly is important. Study music theory also because it is important even though alot of people seem to think otherwise. Finally be original and remember if it sounds good then it is good!
A way to get into writing lyrics can b to rewrite the lyrics on songs you like. One thing I do when struggling to find new ideas for songs is to do a version of a song I really like. I make chords that are similar to the song but different and then lyrics that are of a similar style . Sometimes what you end up with is something that is very different from the song you chose to imitate when its all finished.
Songs in his genre probably follow a standard Verse Chorus, Verse Chorus Bridge Solo Verse(Chorus) and so on so forth, if you can write parts for all of those things(Solo optional) you basically have a song. As far as lyrics are concerned, pick a theme and write about it. That's what i do. I've written more than 20 songs that way. Just find some chords to string together, or possibly study theory so you have a better grasp over what you're doing and how to make things sound good.