my tone evolution is just about complete, last thing to go is a pedal board, and next thing to go on the pedal board is another overdrive.

however i would like a little bit more of an education on OD pedals.

i have an OCD and absolutely love it but want another OD, something that is simialr in the amount of possible drive and versatility, but something that sounds a little bit different.

i am curious on the differences between the:

Fulltone Fulldrive
Catalinbred DLS
Fulltone GT500
and other higher end overdrive pedals, i am open to suggestions.

i have had the opportunity to use both the fulldrive and GT500 and liked them both well, but i didnt have the shot to try it out with my own amp, so i still need a little assistance.

also the GT500 is a FET overdrive, what does that mean? and what kind are the DLS and the Fulldrive. i know the GT500 is made for a little bit harder drive, but really liked the dual function feature and the overdrive half.

so which one should i get? make your point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Yayo.Eric
i heard good things about the maxon OD 808 check it out

ehhh. not so much into the tubescreamer type thing for this one. thanks though. i already have a decent 808 circuit pedal, and i am looking for more of a heavier sustain ridden overdrive, or more of a heavier boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I really dig my Little Big Muff, if that's the style of thing you're looking at. I find when I'm maxing out the tone or sustain controls I loose the sound of my guitar and it's more pedal, but if you back off a bit it's not a big deal.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
FETs are solid state, but they clip more like tubes than the standard diodes do. A lot of boutique pedals that are meant to sound more 'amp like' use FETs.

If you're looking for an overdrive sound from the pedal, boutiqy-type pedals are the way to go. There's a ton of them out there ... a gearhead buddy of mine is stupid for Way Huge's Red Llama, and he's actually built several different great pedals based on the design. I don't remember his prices offhand, but I can give you his contact info if you message me. He's very willing to make drastic modifications too, assuming all the parts work together nicely. For instance, one of his 'Red Llama' pedals is designed with the tone circuit from a Big Muff instead of the standard one.

If you're just using the overdrive to push a tube amp into breaking up harder or to use as a boost for solos, you might not need a super high-end pedal. Tube screamers are popular for that use because they maintain dynamics well and are very transparent. For that use, you want an overdrive pedal that doesn't colour the sound or have too much character itself. I'd actually recommend something basic for that ... not necessarily basic in terms of cost, but in terms of knobs and controls. If it has more than one tone/eq knob for instance, it will probably change your sound too much to use as a transparent boost.
Quote by jean_genie
FETs are solid state, but they clip more like tubes than the standard diodes do. A lot of boutique pedals that are meant to sound more 'amp like' use FETs.

If you're looking for an overdrive sound from the pedal, boutiqy-type pedals are the way to go. There's a ton of them out there ... a gearhead buddy of mine is stupid for Way Huge's Red Llama, and he's actually built several different great pedals based on the design. I don't remember his prices offhand, but I can give you his contact info if you message me. He's very willing to make drastic modifications too, assuming all the parts work together nicely. For instance, one of his 'Red Llama' pedals is designed with the tone circuit from a Big Muff instead of the standard one.

If you're just using the overdrive to push a tube amp into breaking up harder or to use as a boost for solos, you might not need a super high-end pedal. Tube screamers are popular for that use because they maintain dynamics well and are very transparent. For that use, you want an overdrive pedal that doesn't colour the sound or have too much character itself. I'd actually recommend something basic for that ... not necessarily basic in terms of cost, but in terms of knobs and controls. If it has more than one tone/eq knob for instance, it will probably change your sound too much to use as a transparent boost.

thank you very much for the well thought out response and the explaination related to FET distortion.

i am going to go over what i have a little bit better and clarify more what i am looking for.

i use the BBE Green Screamer for tubescreamer related boost (its an 808 circuit).

i have a fulltone OCD which i use as a third channel on the renagade for a more dirty/mildly overdriven tone. i also use it to boost the overdrive channel for lots of creamey sustain.

i am not really looking for anything transparent at all, i already have that covered for the most part. i am looking for something that is marshally voiced or that would work well with EL34's. i am looking for a OD to use on the clean channel that would yeild me lots of creamey sustain and a moderate to heavier crunch.

i like the fact that on the GT500 that it does have the heavier gain, but it is not 100% what i am looking for. i really like the OD mode, but not nearly as much as the fulldrive 2. the more i hear the fulldrive 2 the more i get to like it, but would really like it better if the boost could be activated without the drive being on, and dont have much need for a boost (especially if i use it with the OCD).

also, i will give the red llama a look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Catalinbread DLS is FET based and sounds just like what you're looking for. The WIIO would be nice if you want a bit more variety.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The Catalinbread DLS is FET based and sounds just like what you're looking for. The WIIO would be nice if you want a bit more variety.

yea, i really like the DLS, but i wont be able to play one before i buy one since they have no dealers in florida. i am going to listen to more youtube clips now. lol.

WIIO? i am unfamiliar with that, could you post a link?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
http://www.catalinbread.com/

My computer won't load the site so I can't give you a direct link. But the WIIO is just voiced like a Hiwatt. So British but with more headroom and bass. I owned one of the original 100 for a while. It sounded great, I just didn't have a use for it. AcousticMirror owns it now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ya buy a wiio! from me! it's awesomes.
I mean it's pretty awesome. But, running 6 boosts into each other isn't nearly as awesome as I thought it would be. : (.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
as far as the WIIO and the DLS, i am seeming to like the DLS a little bit better. the DLS has more of the creamyness i am looking for. the WIIO seems to be a little too crunchy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The WIIO is more a distortion then an overdrive I think.

For some reason these pedals popped into my mind when reading this thread, might be worth checking them out (depending on you budget):
Way Huge Pork Loin
Blackout Effectors Mantra
Lovepedal Kalamazoo

Those are pretty low gain OD's though, but with a nice chime IMO.
so i went to guitar center today and tried every botiquey overdrive pedal in stock.

the Pork Lion - didnt have enough OD for what i am looking for. i did like the EQ options however, it seemed very broad in terms of versatility with low gain. so cross the Pork Lion off of the list.

i then AB'd the Fulldrive 2 and the GT500.

i really like the fulldrive, but i dont think it is necessarily what i am looking for. the overdrive when turned all the way up doesnt get creamy enough for me for leads. i was disappointed. however by switching it into mosfet mode and putting the boost all the way up, i liked the tone a lot better, but it still wasnt enough. plus, with the OD all the way up and the boost, the dirty signal is way too disproportionately louder than the clean signal from the amp. also, i really dont care for the fact that the boost only works if the OD is on.

the GT500. i have to say so far, this is what i am leaning for (other than the catalinbread, which i will address in a minute. i really liked the overdrive half of the GT500, and actually preferred it slightly over the fulldrive, mainly because of the increase in overdrive. the dirstortion half, i had a hard time liking at first, but once i tweaked the mid minipot all the way up i fell in love. the mid minipot on the distortion channel is actually a fasel inductor, so it alters the band of the eq slightly. this gave me the more marshally tone i was looking for, and it had more than enough gain for what i am looking for. i also like the idea that i can use one half to boost the other half, and that i could use this pedal for some types of metal/rock (southern metal, like down or maylene, and rock like skynard and hatchet), more than just blues.

so thats it so far. i will look into more suggestions in a few minutes here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by WtrPlyr
The WIIO is more a distortion then an overdrive I think.

For some reason these pedals popped into my mind when reading this thread, might be worth checking them out (depending on you budget):
Way Huge Pork Loin
Blackout Effectors Mantra
Lovepedal Kalamazoo

Those are pretty low gain OD's though, but with a nice chime IMO.

lovepedal kalamazoo sounds great, but from the demos, it sounded a little too harsh, and not creamy enough. it may be on the list to buy eventually, because i do dig it, but its not what i am looking for now.

i liked the blackout effectors mantra better than the lovepedal, but it was missing the smoothness i am looking for, and there arent enough demos up on youtube for me to really get a feel for the character. it seemed again a little to harsh.

so far, its either the Catalinbread DLS or the Fulltone GT500.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
even though its pretty different than the other things i have been looking at, i really like the MI audio blues pro.

any opinions on that?

and i am still favoring the DLS over everything else, but may be getting the blues pro too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Tedward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylLvQUOvNhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I4UnnTSKMs&feature=related

I don't know much about ODs, so I can't say if that's even close to what you're looking for.

thanks for the link. i actually already checked them out. but now that i listened to the scod again, i think that might be anohter possibility.

i have listened to probably 50+ youtube demos already... lol.

thanks again though.

so current ideas.

Catalinbread DLS or
Catalinbread SCOD or
Fulltone GT500

in addition to (for sure):
MI audio Blues Pro
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Lovepedal Kanji 9
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
ehhh. not so much into the tubescreamer type thing for this one.

that is all well and good, but be aware almost all OD pedals owe lineage to the tubescreamer. for example, your OCD is a moded tubescreamer design, the biggest modification is the assymetrical diode clipping section. most OD's have their clipping section in the feedback loop (ala a TS), but you can get some pretty different sounds by popping in different kinds/types of diodes. i like LED's in my diode clipping section.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae