Hey UG, weird question here.

My band is looking to play a show at the venue type place that a music store in my area has. We talked with the guy in charge of renting out the place and he said that if we had more than 70 people show, we'd need to make sure that we had extended insurance to cover if anything happened there in the way of injuries to us or people attending. He said that usually we can just add it to a current existing insurance plan for night of the gig but he said it can cost anywhere between $35 up to $400 depending on your insurance company.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with doing something like this before.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I've never heard of this before.

Legally, isn't the company/venue liable for any injuries? Common sense says that they should already have insurance, especially if they operate as a regular venue.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
I've never heard of this before.

Legally, isn't the company/venue liable for any injuries? Common sense says that they should already have insurance, especially if they operate as a regular venue.

This^^^, sounds like this guy is trying to get some money off ya.
You are working in a public place on other people's property and the venue will hold the liability for the audience. However, if you fall off the stage onto someone, knock equipment over on a guest, or any number of things that you can do to cause a claim you will want liability insurance to cover that. You can and will be sued by the venue's insurance company because ultimately you caused the claim against them. Most legal types will actually just blanket sue everyone that may have contributed just to cover their bases, if you have insurance, it is the insurance company's problem to make it go away or pay out.

The venue has every right to demand proof of liability insurance coverage before allowing you to perform and obviously they can refuse to let you perform. Some performers carry liability coverage along with insuring their equipment. Cost of insurance varies depending on your situation.

As always, check with your legal, accounting and management on what coverage you will actually need, don't rely on what you read on an internet forum cause we are not experts. Especially since the venue has put a number of guests as whether you need insurance or not, this kinda says they may actually only be insured for liability of 70 or fewer guests.
Last edited by Quintex at Jun 10, 2010,
Thanks for the Post Quin.

It mainly has to due with the fact that they had one of the local high school jazz bands play there and an old lady sat in a broken chair and bonked her head against the wall and spent 2 weeks in an ICU and shes sueing them and the high school (which a 2 week ICU bill is balls expensive). They just wanna make sure that in case something happens, we don't get sued for lots of money and stuff.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp