I have terrible luck with Gibsons, Let me say the Least. This is the second Les Paul in 5 years now. However this one got bumped, landed face first and cracked the headstock/neck on the rear. It still is in tune, however, if you apply a small amount of pressure you can see it separate slightly. I am not certain what to do. I am in Souther Cali, In the Marines (so i have no money) this guitar is my life. What can I do to get it repaired, and how much will it cost? And if anyone is in Socal, Where can I go? I am slightly freaked out at the moment, and really hope this can be done without spending alot of money.

--Zeppedled--

Gibson Les Paul
Danelectro DC-59
Fender Acoustic 12-Strg
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Ultimate Chorus (non Digi effects version)
Line 6 Tone Port UX-1
That happened with my gibson sg and its really painful to see. My case was more extreme but I would imaghine its the same process. First thing to do is loosen the strings if the wood is broken because otherwise you are only making it worse adding tension to the neck. Secondly I took my guitar to a luthier who charged me 60 euros and in two weeks I had my guitar back. It has been in perfect shape ever since. ( 4 years ago)
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
Your main problem is that you're playing a Gibson. Your other problem is that if your going to drop the cash on a Gibson, at least treat it with the amount of care that much cash deserves.

Anyway, now that that (my biased assholism) is out of the way, here's what I have to say.

My RG320 had a cracked off headstock when I bought it. Used this, and it's ridiculously sturdy now. If you don't trust yourself, then yeah, take it in, but if you know how to do repairs like this (it really isn't hard at all, you just need a clamp), then you can do it yourself and save a lot of time and money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Fairly easy fix, happens a lot on Gibsons. You just need to open the crack up more and then push as much glue as you can into the joint, then close it up and clamp it (a fair bit of glue will come back out, but nowhere near as much as you pushed in)
It'll cost a bit to get fixed, depending where you go. You could do it yourself for ~$20 if you have a few clamps, to get someone else to fix it could run up to almost $500.

EDIT:
Quote by Offworld92
Your main problem is that you're playing a Gibson. Your other problem is that if your going to drop the cash on a Gibson, at least treat it with the amount of care that much cash deserves.

Accidents happen. No matter how well you care for a guitar, stuff can still go wrong.
And Titebond Original > Elmers.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 10, 2010,
I would really like to do the repair myself seeing it isnt a deep crack, however, I just would like to make it so it will not crack worse over time. I am seeing prices at around $125 and up however $20 worth of glue and some clamps sounds much better.
--Zeppedled--

Gibson Les Paul
Danelectro DC-59
Fender Acoustic 12-Strg
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Ultimate Chorus (non Digi effects version)
Line 6 Tone Port UX-1
Quote by littlephil

Accidents happen. No matter how well you care for a guitar, stuff can still go wrong.
And Titebond Original > Elmers.

Yes. I'm not saying it can't. Accidents happen all the time.

All I'm trying to say is that if you push a Gibson off of a guitar stand, and then push an Ibanez off of that same stand, one of them will most likely have a broken neck/headstock.

(hint: It won't be the ibanez - I've had several accidents with mine, but it's still kicking, still giving the world the middle finger. I trust it absolutely.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cracks in Ibanez necks are extremely common to. Have a look at any Original Wizard neck, if there isnt a crack behind the nut its very lucky.
Quote by littlephil
Cracks in Ibanez necks are extremely common to. Have a look at any Original Wizard neck, if there isnt a crack behind the nut its very lucky.

But Ibanez moved on the the Wizard II. They improved their design, as they always, more than any other company, do.

When has Gibson ever sought to improve their design in a helpful way? Exactly.

Even the small changes they have made are nearly negligible in light of Ibanez. The amount of improvements Gibson has made in 60 years has nothing on the improvements Ibanez has made in 30.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Wizard 2 is very different than the Original. Try both, they have quite different profiles.
Quote by littlephil
The Wizard 2 is very different than the Original. Try both, they have quite different profiles.

the dimensions of the Original are as same as the dimensions of the current super wizard,but with a different shape..So if I am getting this right,the original wizard had an increased risk of breaking because of the lack of the titanium thing?

and I would say that gibson necks are prone to break more than the wizard necks because of the two walnut strips(that gives them extra strength)
The Super Wizard has a volute too, which helps a lot. The Wizards crack behind the nut because the neck is very thin, and the nut is at the thinnest part of the neck, so the pressure from the nut puts a lot of tension on the thinnest part. The walnut strips in the Super Wizard will add a bit of strength, but they only have titanium rods if its 3000 series or above. Also, the titanium rods dont go all the way to the headstock, so they wont really help there.

Gibsons have the same problem Wizard necks do, they have no volute and there is a lot of tension at the thinnest part of the neck. The headstock angle doesnt help either.
Quote by littlephil
The Super Wizard has a volute too, which helps a lot. The Wizards crack behind the nut because the neck is very thin, and the nut is at the thinnest part of the neck, so the pressure from the nut puts a lot of tension on the thinnest part. The walnut strips in the Super Wizard will add a bit of strength, but they only have titanium rods if its 3000 series or above. Also, the titanium rods dont go all the way to the headstock, so they wont really help there.

Gibsons have the same problem Wizard necks do, they have no volute and there is a lot of tension at the thinnest part of the neck. The headstock angle doesnt help either.

umm,whats a volute?sorry if it was noob-ish
Quote by littlephil

Oh right that bump..So isnt the normal wizard prestige better than the super wizard because,

its a little thicker,so its less prone to breaking
it has the volute
it has the two stripes

??
First of all, the primary reasons for the weaker headtsock joint are the angled headstock and the removed material for the truss rod. The angled headstock (17 deg pitch) is done to eliminate the need for string trees and gives proper pressure on the strings as they pass over the nut.
Gibson did introduce a volute (in the 70's I believe) and their customer base freaked and demanded they remove it.
Guitars should never be stored on guitar stands to begin with and if the TS has a Gibson, it should've came with a case (unless it's a studio)
It should be professionally repaired and if done by a pro, will be all but invisible (except to UV light). It does devalue the guitar but nothing you can do about that now.
Moving on.....