Hi,

I'm working on a guitar right now and I have a few questions I'd like to clear up before I get further into it...

1) What is best plan for building the neck- glue the board on and then taper and shape the neck, or taper the neck, glue on the fretboard, taper the fretboard, then shape the neck?

2) How do you cut the slot for the nut? I ordered a pre-radiused and slotted fretboard from LMII and it has a slot where the nut goes but it's the size of a fret slot. I'm assuming you cut out the area for the nut behind this slot, correct?

3) How do you figure out the tuner placement? I want to be able to make a certain sound by striking behind the nut like Matt Bellamy from Muse does so often. You can hear an example here at 1:44.

How can i place the tuners so it will make this sound (or as close to it as i can get)?
1.) There are many ways to do this, it's really the builder's preference. I like to taper the fretboard first, glue it to the neck, taper the neck to match the fretboard, install the frets, then shape the back of the neck.

2.) Depends on the design. If you're doing a fender style neck, you'll need to widen/deepen the slot to match the nut (towards the headstock). If it similar to a gibson, you'll saw the end of the fretboard off through the slot and the nut will be located at the end of the fretboard.

3.) Find out which guitar he used and copy it's headstock tuner placement. You could print it full sized and make a template from it.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Quote by Handgrenade
1.) There are many ways to do this, it's really the builder's preference. I like to taper the fretboard first, glue it to the neck, taper the neck to match the fretboard, install the frets, then shape the back of the neck.

2.) Depends on the design. If you're doing a fender style neck, you'll need to widen/deepen the slot to match the nut (towards the headstock). If it similar to a gibson, you'll saw the end of the fretboard off through the slot and the nut will be located at the end of the fretboard.

3.) Find out which guitar he used and copy it's headstock tuner placement. You could print it full sized and make a template from it.

1) So it doesn't really make much of a difference? Which way would you recommend for a first build?

2) It is a Fender-style Earvana compensated nut. It's one where you have to screw on the top part with the string slots... Will i have to file down the bottom part so it's flush with the fretboard?

3) Yeah i think i got it... Hopefully I got the scale right and all that.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jun 13, 2010,