I know there's probably a hundred threads on this but I didn't see one on the 1st page. What guitar would you reccomend to someone who's been playing acousticly for half a year and is looking to play Electric? I'm looking at getting an epiphone explorer just because I lilke it but I'm not sure if it's good to start off with
What genre(s) do you play?
What's your budget?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
What genre(s) do you play?
What's your budget?

+ number of frets?what kind of bridge(fixed,FR etc.etc.)
I like Metal and Rock and I have around $400 Australian to spend. I'm happy with whatever guitar bridge
I'd go for a fender stratocaster copy, they're versatile and easy to play and when you've developed your style a bit more then you can look for a guitar more specific to your tastes.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Everlong_17
I like Metal and Rock and I have around $400 Australian to spend. I'm happy with whatever guitar bridge

oops,I'm sorry, I have no idea about the prices in aus..but i'd recommend a yamaha pacifica(if 400$ is considered low budget in aus) or an agile??(if there are agiles there)
The Epiphone Explorer was my first guitar, still love it to pieces however the pickups are now a bit to plain for me, will be swapping the pickups soon.

From personal experience everyone I know who started off with a Fender Strat copy stopped playing within a month or so.
I bought a Fender Squire for abit under $400 (AUS), when i first started playing....it's a brilliant guitar to start with, and verrrrry versatile, probably the best you'll get for $400.

but either way when you start to get really good your gonna be looking for a better guitar, with a more specific genre in mind

but yeah, fender squires are my personal favourite budget guitar
Quote by archenemyfan
oops,I'm sorry, I have no idea about the prices in aus..but i'd recommend a yamaha pacifica

^That
the 112V is awesome
If you play Metal and Rock I'd take the Explorer over a strat, or at least something with humbuckers tbh. Maybe a strat with a humbucker in the bridge for versatility.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
DO NOT TAKE A YAMAHA PACIFICA IF YOU WANT TO PLAY METAL!
With your budget it seems you won't necessarily need a beginner's package... just look for a cheap guitar with these names: Dean. Washburn. Ibanez. ESP LTD. BC Rich. You know, the "metal" names. If you can't afford a cheap guitar from them you may be forced to get a beginner's package such as the Washburn X10, Ibanez GRG, or Dean Vendetta.
In my honest opinion, I suggest that you buy a good guitar and a good amp. Sometimes the beginner's packages are quite crap.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by BlackSabba
DO NOT TAKE A YAMAHA PACIFICA IF YOU WANT TO PLAY METAL!.

again,misinformation that seems to be prevalent everywhere..I'll tell you one thing,I once had a yamaha rgxA2 and that is afaik,A guitar that has been developed with nothing but blues in mind,and somehow I managed to get a decent metal tone out it..my advice?if you're going low budget,nothing can beat the quality that yamaha has..

EDIT : the pacifica 112v has a solid alder body and retails for 299$..try finding an alder bodied guitar for that price from the more "metal" brands that you've mentioned..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by BlackSabba
DO NOT TAKE A YAMAHA PACIFICA IF YOU WANT TO PLAY METAL!
With your budget it seems you won't necessarily need a beginner's package... just look for a cheap guitar with these names: Dean. Washburn. Ibanez. ESP LTD. BC Rich. You know, the "metal" names. If you can't afford a cheap guitar from them you may be forced to get a beginner's package such as the Washburn X10, Ibanez GRG, or Dean Vendetta.
In my honest opinion, I suggest that you buy a good guitar and a good amp. Sometimes the beginner's packages are quite crap.

You tell him not to get a Pacifica if he wants to play metal, but then you suggest he get a Dean starter package... which is all around crappy (not knocking Dean, but their low end products are just that. Very low end.)
+1 for the Squier strat. It's what I got when I first picked up guitar about 2 years ago. It's a really nice guitar to learn the ropes on.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer 'rock music' that has electric guitars.
I started with a strat copy and quit. Got an EPI LP and i havent quit since =)
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Get on ebay and get yourself a Fender MIJ Strat =)
theres a few on ebay for like $500-650ish.
I know its a bit above your budget but its a solid guitar.
Why is everybody saying strats? Sure, strats are great and everything but for a player that's new to electric who wants to play rock and metal a humbucker equipped guitar probably be a lot more suitable.

Cue someone saying 'Any guitar can play any genre' and another person mentioning Yngwie Malmsteen and Iron Maiden but at the end of the day a humbuckers will simply be more suitable. So far the best suggestion in this thread seems to be the Epi Explorer the TS was looking at in the first place.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
yamaha pacifica ftw

nice pickups, nice stuff in there in general

if you want an amp, though, don't get a roland cube 15, as it's horrid. Most people like the cubes here, but personally, I hate my cube 15 (and am soooo glad I don't ever have to use it anymore), and I didn't think the higher models were that good quite frankly
Yamaha pacifica if you mean a lower range guitar.

If you have the money, and feel reasonably committed then a better instrument is generally easier to learn on, so dont feel you have to restrict your budget just because your a beginner.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by archenemyfan
again,misinformation that seems to be prevalent everywhere..I'll tell you one thing,I once had a yamaha rgxA2 and that is afaik,A guitar that has been developed with nothing but blues in mind,and somehow I managed to get a decent metal tone out it..my advice?if you're going low budget,nothing can beat the quality that yamaha has..

EDIT : the pacifica 112v has a solid alder body and retails for 299$..try finding an alder bodied guitar for that price from the more "metal" brands that you've mentioned..

I've tried Yamaha Pacifica and they are really NOT metal. The RGX series by Yamaha is a completely different story. Especially the RGX220DZ, which has dual humbuckers and a licensed Floyd Rose bridge.
I use a yamaha haha.. It was my first electric guitar and they're very reliable... I even recorded with it.. Check out my video of my song I recorded with it on my pg... Add me as a friend haha
I'd say generally a strat-style guitar - very versatile and quite mod-able if thats what you want. But as you play metal i'd recommend one with a humbucker in the bridge. But you have to try out the different shapes before you buy. You may like the look of an explorer, but you may find that some parts dig into your body too much. Sure it may sound good, but you'll never play it if it doesnt feel right. Try different shapes, then pick the one thats your favorite. Look around and see if there are any copies of that guitar then look at reviews to see if they are any good.
Anyway, shape is probably most important, as a guitar thats uncomfortable will just be left to gather dust. When you are more experienced you will be able to easily tell subtle differences in pickups and such which is when you should start looking at guitars that suit the genre. While sound is important i think that shape is more important.
explorer would be great,

good quality tuners and a TOM bridge also mean you can play with tunings and not have the frustration of trems,

HH config is possible better for you if you play metal and your a begginer, singles would probably sound too thin for you and the explorer can play everything you want to and will last longer than any generic "starter" guitar

edit:

guy above,

the gibsin explorer shape is possibly more confortable to play sitting down than any other shape, the body may not be contoured but the way it rests against your body is perfect and the arm rest upper wing is incredibly comfortable and the same goes for the leg cut,

they are incredibly comfortable players guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jun 11, 2010,
Personally I don't like the tone of the epiphones, but if you are okay with that I know them to be solid guitars. I personally went for the strat, but I had to get a new guitar once I got the basics out of the way, and you did that on an acoustic, so something with humbuckers would probably be good. Jackson makes so good relatively cheap ($250 American, don't know what it is in australian) guitars.
i think you'll probably be wanting something with humbuckers and a tune-o-matic type bridge. these guitars should all fit the bill for you (and ive kept them about $50-$75 AUS under your budget cap, just to be safe)

-Epi G-400
-Schecter omen 6
-Ibanez GRGA32
-Ibanez RG321
-Fernandes Ravelle X
-Jackson JS32RT
-ESP LTD H-51
-AXL Bloodsport Wavepoint (I have heard lots of good things about this brand)

this list is in no way an exhaustive one, but i figure that it should provide a pretty solid starting point for your search. also, dont be afraid to check out your local classified ads, used is sometimes the best way to go