Hey guys, i was looking for a bit of help to improve the sound of my home made Fuzz Face from 'General Guitar Gadgets.' I was wanting to give it a fatter, gritter sound and wanted to know what transistors to use.

The model/measurement i made is the negative ground silicon one, so the transistor will have to be NPN.
What measurement is used to differentiate the transistors?
Finally, what kind of transistor would i want? Maplin have stuff like high power, low power, low frequency etc.

The sorta fuzz sound i was wanting to try and achieve is something similar to a Devi Ever Disaster fuzz (without the oscillation of course) or one of the silicon Zvex fuzzes, without the extra control. Just a general fatter, fuzzier, darker sound, i that would be possible.

Cheers for any help!
If you are not able to find someone here that knows you might try this site. I have built several stompboxes but I only know how to put them together and I don't know hardly anything as far as what each transistor or resistor does in the line. Good luck
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
the number/ code for them is PN2369A

there are two inside

would i want a high gain or a low gain transistor?

edit: oh, and Johnny, cheers for that site! ill check them out if i cant find anyone!
Last edited by jaybals at Jun 10, 2010,
Right now you have low gain transistors. Those should be around 70-150 hFe, which is great for making it sound like a Germanium Fuzz Face.

Go pick up something like 2N4401s. I have a 2N555 in Q1, and a 2N4401 in Q2, and it's a nice sounding higher (not necessarily high) gain fuzz.

I think messing with the input cap is the ticket for you.
give this a read, TS. VERY informative. I built that transistor tester he talks about in that article, and it is stupidly useful. I made mine with a polarity switch on the battery to test NPN types as well as PNP. PM me if you want more info/hints on my build of it. You'll want one too

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm
Cheers invader jim, that sounds interesting, i might give that a try. so do you guys think the capaciter would have more effect on the sound than transistors? would it be easy to make a switch to go between two capacitors?

and forsaknazrael, if you really want, but im in the uk so it'd me a lot of postage for two transistors :P

EDIT:
Quote by forsaknazrael
Right now you have low gain transistors. Those should be around 70-150 hFe, which is great for making it sound like a Germanium Fuzz Face.

Go pick up something like 2N4401s. I have a 2N555 in Q1, and a 2N4401 in Q2, and it's a nice sounding higher (not necessarily high) gain fuzz.

I think messing with the input cap is the ticket for you.

would those transistors be ok? cos the kit also came with a pair of 2N3906 transistors, which are to be used in the PNP (posistive ground) fuzz face. Would it screw up my pedal using positive ground transistors?
Last edited by jaybals at Jun 11, 2010,