Floor stand
30 30%
Wall hanger
19 19%
Pfft, I leave mine on the floor.
11 11%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Howdy Fellas, Fellies? (There really should be a female fella word, Let me know if there is one)

Just a quick question, Been playing guitar for years now But never really thought about what is better / safer for your guitar, A case or a stand? or even a wall hanger.

Any pro's or cons either way would be cool to dwell on.

I have a miss mash of both atm, But my house has quite the dust problem and i also have animal roamin around doin there thing.
Lasses is female :-)

Hardcase whenever I leave the room for a long time,stand while playing/break/..
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
manufacturers recomend a hard cas and if you look closely at the warrenty, your warrenty is not subject to any defect that is the result of being stored on a stand, what i do is put mine in a gig bag and put it on a stand, but if i could afford a hard case i would have one
hmm. i say case is the best, although i always just lay my guitar against my amp (which has caused it to tip over, when will i learn?) pros of wall hangers and stands would be you get to look at your guitars and easy to grab quickly. Cons of a stand is animals knocking them over and dust getting to them. Wall hanger cons is it coming out of the wall cause you didnt get it in there good enough, lol, and the dust thing. The only con about a case i can see is it takes a little longer to grab your guitar if you have it latched up.

everyone agree??
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
I used a wall hanger for a time, but my friend had a whole collection of basses on wall hangars, and some sort of thing shook his house (earthquake or some shit) and the hanger snapped and some crazy shit went down... So I just use cases now.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Thought it would be the case (Pun). Obviously with guitars being made of wood, would there be any dampness after a long period of not opening a case? Or just shove one of those bags you cant eat in there for good measure?

Being a bit paranoid since i bought a guitar i could marry.
I use a floorstand only because its quick and easy to grab and i dont have a hardcase.

Only "flaw" with one is dust personally.. but thats nothing a duster / microfibre cloth fixes.. Oh and sunlight with my white epi I've had to hide it around a corner in my room away from the window so it doesnt turn out like my now yellowey white pickguard on my strat copy.
Quote by TrueSlawer
I use a floorstand only because its quick and easy to grab and i dont have a hardcase.

Only "flaw" with one is dust personally.. but thats nothing a duster / microfibre cloth fixes.. Oh and sunlight with my white epi I've had to hide it around a corner in my room away from the window so it doesnt turn out like my now yellowey white pickguard on my strat copy.

I hope you don't experience the accidental knocking over of your Epi from its stand!
This is how headstocks get broken off.

All my guitars live in their cases and the stand is only used as a temporary "safe" storage when I'm playing and need to put the guitar down for a few minutes. If I do this I also unplug the guitar to avoid any incidents with the cable.
Never lean your guitar against an amp or the wall. It could slide off and break or the pressure against the headstock when it'e being leaned on can warp your neck.
Moving on.....
I'd say hardcase just bcause you can lug it around, but I usually have my guitar by the chair next to me with the neck on the cushion.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Hard case....always.

If it's not in my hands being played...it goes in its case. No if's, and's or but's about it.

And that is why all of my guitars stay in mint condition.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I use a stand for my explorer as its too clumsy to put in the case all the time and its my primary guitar,

then i use my hardcase for my LTD as i dont tend to play it as much

used to have a wall hanger but it failed while i was on holiday and came home to my explorer on the floor with two broken frets

i love my hurcules guitar stand

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jun 10, 2010,
Hardcase is the best option and pretty much the only option if your guitar has a nitro finish. Stands are okay for poly-finished guitars that you play often. Wallracks really shouldn't be used for any solid body guitar nor any guitar that has a tiltback headstock.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I keep 4 of my guitars out on a stand since i use them a lot, my Gibson stays in the case because it's my baby and the nitro would get messed up by the stand. I keep my favorite acoustic, my F200 in a case too because my guitar rack is akwardly placed and i can't reach the 5th spot. Hardcase is the safest, no doubt.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I say floor because you can reach for it as fast as you want but the down side is you probably step on it alot but if your like my I like my guitars as dirty and grity as posdible... Just Kidding I keep all my guitars in cases because there isnt enough room for all of them in my guitar room
All of mine are on the wall or on stands.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
all you people using hard cases, do you use a gigbag when you go to practise with your band or to a gig or anywhere at all? I mean, I only own 1 bag (and 1 guitar) and its pretty shitty... bad quality. So I was considering of buying a padded gigbag, but seeing all ya having them in hardcases while not playing, makes me wonder if thats what I want to buy? (hate the dust in the floyd, and everywhere)

So basically, can you take your guitar in a case to practises etc, or do you have a gigbag for that?
Should I not just buy a hardcase, but also a better gigbag? (case for having it commonly, bag for practise etc)

Where's the option for "leaning against a couch at a 45 degree angle and facing out".

Wheres the option for having it ON the couch?? (or in my case, on a double bed.)
Why would you not be able to use a hard case to transport a guitar? What do you think they are made for? A gigbag is a cheap alternative to a hardcase and while being a little lighter to lug around they usually offer much less protection for the instrument. A hradcase is always a better option for transport.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
ok thanks, now if you dropped a hardcase and it bashed to the floor, or ground whatever, will the guitar (or case) experience damage? how minor/major?

also, how much would a good padded gigbag weigh and cost?
^ same question for the hardcase?

EDIT: is this just me, cause everytime I see a picture of a case opened, it looks like the guitar has room to move and it could bash around the case when closed? T or F.
Last edited by fc89konkari at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by srob7001
Hard case....always.

If it's not in my hands being played...it goes in its case. No if's, and's or but's about it.

And that is why all of my guitars stay in mint condition.

Amen.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
NJ JR.V and jaguar are on wall hangers. P bass and and RG are on stands, a hardcase is used for transportation

edit: in the living room theres a uke on the bookshelf a mandolin and an autoharp in hard cases and an acoustic and an autoharp on stands, and a mandolin and two dulcimers on wall hangers. A plucked sultry, a fiddle and a flute... somewhere in cases. (everyone in the house plays music)

so its all down to where shit fits
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by KenG
I hope you don't experience the accidental knocking over of your Epi from its stand!
This is how headstocks get broken off.

All my guitars live in their cases and the stand is only used as a temporary "safe" storage when I'm playing and need to put the guitar down for a few minutes. If I do this I also unplug the guitar to avoid any incidents with the cable.
Never lean your guitar against an amp or the wall. It could slide off and break or the pressure against the headstock when it'e being leaned on can warp your neck.

haha thats what i got a stand with the blockers (only word i can think of to describe it now :L) on the arms so if it is knocked it stops it falling.. However its right against a wall in a corner hidden from the sun as mentioned before so luckily it hasnt been knocked at all yet however touch wood it wont fall
Everything I have is on stands, partly because I don't have enough hard cases for everything, partially because everything gets used too much to be latching and unlatching cases all day long.

EDIT: I really need some wall hangers though....I'm running out of floorspace
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
case..especially with acoustic guitars. i was keeping mine on a wall hanger at my studio and i guess the temp changed in there or something and the glue got weak on the bridge and it snapped right off. it was my classical guitar too it's getting fixed though so no worries. but if it was in a case i don't think that would have happened.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Isnt your guitar suppose to be accessible easily ???.. thats one of the tip many guitarist says .. you have to have your guitar ready to play easily .. so if you have a free 10 minute or a riff in mind , you dont have to put it out of the case and everything .

i keep my guitar on a rockstand

http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/ACC/MGS-5.jpg

best bought i made and perfect for my room . all my guitars are accessible easily and look cool

but im in my bedroom and theres not much humidity and bad stuff for guitars ... if your in a cold basement where its moist a bit ... than its probably better in a case .

the BEST is probably a case .. the more convenient is a floor-stand .

ive had a wall hanger before but didnt like ... it feel like the neck was under a constant pressure ..
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 11, 2010,
People talk like taking 1 minute to open a case and strap on the guitar is a big time waster!
Since I have an amp in my bedroom and one in the computer room, one guitar is in it's case in the computer room and the others are in the bedroom. I have to go there anyway to use the amp so the extra minute to take the guitar out of its case is no big deal for me.
I suspect that many others live alone and so can leave the amp in the living room where most people spend the majority of their time making it more attractive to also leave their guitars out for convenience.
Moving on.....
Quote by fc89konkari
ok thanks, now if you dropped a hardcase and it bashed to the floor, or ground whatever, will the guitar (or case) experience damage? how minor/major?

how much do hardcases weigh, and how much do padded gigbags weigh?

EDIT: is this just me, cause everytime I see a picture of a case opened, it looks like the guitar has room to move and it could bash around the case when closed? T or F.

answer this plz

Jonathan
A hardshell case will protect your guitar from dropping to a degree (certianly more than any gig bag would) but for full protection from abuse you're talking a "road case" which are built to be stood on or thrown around. These are more than twice what a standard HS case costs though.
I've seen gig bags run $40 or more and a good HS Case around $80 - $100 so IMO there's no contest between the two for $40+ difference.
Moving on.....
Quote by fc89konkari
answer this plz

Jonathan

Fitted hardcases, i doubt much damage would happen, The entire body up to the neck joint cant move and the neck is in its groove (held tight once the lid is closed) i think it offers more protection then any alternative if its dropped but like anything, Stuff can break with a weak spot or w/e.

In short, I think it can go either way, But safer then dropping a guitar in a gig bag.
I have my electric on a floor stand that I purchased when I bought my acoustic, (Got the acoustic first.) I leave the acoustic on top of my VYPYR leaning against the wall. (It's a starter pack acoustic so I refuse to spend money on a case or stand for it.) I also own gigbags for both the guitars that I think I've only used once. I did save the box the acoustic came in as sort of a cheap hardcase lol
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
they're all on an 9-guitars stand, because there are 8 of them xD (will be 9 sunday)
i don't have any hard case, except for my LP, but i leave the guitar on the rack, it's never caused any problem
the silhouette i'm getting sunday has a hard case though, so maybe i'll keep it in there

there's a huge blanket over the rack though, so i can protect them from the dust...

my room's covered in blankets XD pedalboard, amp, keyboards and guitar rack are covered
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 11, 2010,
My Gretsch lives in a case. My Strat is on a stand (because the case is in my other home), my acoustic lives in a gigbag on a stand (when I'm out of town). And the Jag lives on a sofa (I don't have a case but I would still leave it out).

I think my treatment of each reflects on how susceptible each is to damage/the inconvenience of getting it in and out of a case for regular playing.

Also if I'm away for a while I cover my strat with a thin blanket to keep sunlight/dust off.
case is safest, stands for when your playing or put it down for a second, u can always find more stable stands that have the bar to protect it,
i use this one
http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-Stands-Double-Flip-It-Guitar-Stand-102659828-i1410651.gc

for at home and shows, very stable, only fell once, and that had nothing to do with the stand, it was on a cable that was yanked.

Its also soft so it protects well, and the guitar holder on the bottom doesnt fall out easily like others
Wall hanger.

EDIT - Just read OP... wall hanger FOR ME. Harcase is definitely safest.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by fc89konkari

also, how much would a good padded gigbag weigh and cost?
^ same question for the hardcase?

If you have a good fitted case the guitar shouldnt get damaged when i was flying to Poland I saw my Telecaster case out the plane window and i was like "hey look its my telecaster" then saw it drop 10 feet onto the baggage carrier thing and hit the cement when i got it I quickly opened the case to see if it was still alive and to my surprise it was fine not a dent or crack. So it really depends on how much you pay for your case and if its the right case for your guitar model.
^^ I'd have been worried too! Dumb ass baggage handlers, luckily the case was good but Fenders are also pretty tough. IF there's any damage from being dropped it's usually the neck pocket that cracks before anything else.
Moving on.....
It depends on the shape of the guitar, and if it is just going to be sitting there or if it will need to be moved. normal shaped guitars such as strats and les paul shapes will sit on a stand for years with no problems. however more radical shapes such as warlock, and flying V shapes don't stay on stands very well, and require cases. they could go on wall hangars, but then the integrity of the wall is in question and most houses dont have trustworthy walls.
Obviously hard cases are the best. If you're going to use a multiple guitar stand ( 5 or 7), it's best that they're in the less-trafficked area of your room so that they don't get bumped/dinged. You'll also need to dust/clean them regularly if you park them in these stands.

For transport, even the padded gig bags make me nervous. A hard case will provide the peace of mind, better yet, an airline-spec metal case.

Single guitar stands are best only when you're practicing, you need to put them back in their cases when done.

The best time to buy a case, if the guitar is inexpensive or does not come with one, is when you buy the guitar!

Page 1 of 2