Hi guys,

I've been suffering from RSI for about a year now and I'm tired of it. I want to play again! I've always tried to stay away from muscle-building exercises and such because I read that it's bad for guitar players, BUT...

... Chris Broderick has proven me wrong.

SO, I was wondering: Can I get rid of RSI by going to the gym? It would get the blood circulation going and it would give me strong healthy arms. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I dont understand why strength training would be bad for guitar players?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
My advice, if you haven't gone already, is to go to a doctor and see what they can do for you (exercise, anti-inflammatory medication or surgery in a more advanced case). If you are lucky, you may have a doctor in your area that specializes in working with musicians.

You also may want to read up on the Alexander Technique for musicians. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of it, but it is supposed to help clean up your posture and technique to prevent RSIs from occurring.

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/musicians.htm
Quote by jsepguitar
My advice, if you haven't gone already, is to go to a doctor and see what they can do for you (exercise, anti-inflammatory medication or surgery in a more advanced case). If you are lucky, you may have a doctor in your area that specializes in working with musicians.

You also may want to read up on the Alexander Technique for musicians. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of it, but it is supposed to help clean up your posture and technique to prevent RSIs from occurring.

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/musicians.htm

+1

This is some good advice (if I remember the alexander technique correctly)...

I don't think strengthening muscles is bad for your playing! It's more important how you use the muscles and which ones you use, not how strong the muscles are.

I, myself, exercise regularly and it hasn't destroyed my playing at all!
Well, I heard that it can make your joints less fluid and smooth in motion. But oh well...

I've already seen a doctor (Been to the hospital four times actually). There's no inflammation, and they're unable to pinpoint the problem. It's just pain which gets progressively worse as I use the muscles involved. They've given me some exercises though.

I guess I should get myself a gym membership now, haha! Thanks!
Honestly having good dexterity and stronger muscles and better stamina do help. Obviously not if you're one of those big ripped steroids guys that can't hold a guitar because of all the muscle in the way, but otherwise... it helps. You do need strong hands to be able to do some things and stamina matters if you play metal or any other reasonably fast genre.

Dexterity needs no explanation.

Do pushups or something and you'll be fine.
Pushups are for your chest, not hands. You're supposed to do them on your fists, actually, to avoid hyper extending and damaging your wrists.
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn