"Goatse Security" hacked AT&T's website, found 114,00 iPad user's email addresses.

Page 1 of 2
A group of hackers said Wednesday that it had obtained the e-mail addresses of 114,000 owners of 3G Apple iPads, including those of military personnel, business executives and public figures, by exploiting a security hole on AT&T’s Web site.

The group, which calls itself Goatse Security and says it specializes in exposing security vulnerabilities, also obtained the identification number that those iPads use when they communicate over AT&T’s network, known as an ICC-ID, according to a member of the group who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity.

AT&T acknowledged the breach, which was first reported by Gawker late Wednesday, but the company sought to minimize its importance.

“AT&T was informed by a business customer on Monday of the potential exposure of their iPad ICC-IDs,” AT&T said in a statement. “The only information that can be derived from the ICC-IDs is the e-mail address attached to that device.”

AT&T said that by Tuesday it had turned off the feature on its Web site that allowed the group to find the e-mail addresses.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

The incident is likely to be a public relations black eye for AT&T, which is Apple’s partner for wireless service on the iPhone and iPad in the United States. But security experts said it was not clear whether the breach would have serious consequences for those whose information was obtained.

Even in the wrong hands, e-mail addresses are of limited use beyond sending junk e-mail or attempting to pull people in with so-called phishing attacks, security experts said. What is more, e-mail addresses can be easy to guess. Members of the military are permitted to use only unclassified addresses on devices like the iPad.

But experts said that ICC-ID numbers could, in the right hands, be used to get other information, like an iPad’s location.

The breach “should be worrying people a lot,” said Nick DePetrillo, an independent security consultant.

Michael Kleeman, a communications network expert at the University of California, San Diego, said that AT&T should never have stored the information on a publicly accessible Web site. But he added that the damage was likely to be limited.

“You could in theory find out where the device is,” Mr. Kleeman said. “But to do that, you would have to gain access to very secure databases that are not generally connected to the public Internet.”

The list of e-mail addresses included military personnel, staff members in the Senate and the House, and people at the Justice Department, NASA and the Department of Homeland Security, said the group member. Private-sector addresses that were exposed include those of executives at The New York Times Company, Dow Jones, Condé Nast, Viacom, Time Warner, the News Corporation, and HBO, the person said.

AT&T said it would notify affected customers. “We apologize to our customers who were impacted,” it said.

Nick Bilton contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/technology/10apple.html?hp

Goatse security?

Couldn't have been a coincidence.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 10, 2010,
guess they just found a back door in then
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
guess they just found a back door in then

You could say it was...

Wide open
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Quote by Pyrest
At a stretch, at best.

You guys are hilarious, I almost split my sides in laughter
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Screen door.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Man, this is gonna pull Apple apart.

Apple is really anal about their security, too. AT&T is really screwing them.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

wow, they really need to tighten up their security

Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
AT&T have got themselves in a bit of a hole here...

[/scraping the bottom of the barrell]
beware AT&T, here comes the fist of fury!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Nice to see big security holes exposed in public. Most companies would just erect a white flag and admit wrong, let's see how apple handles this.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Seriously, what's Apple gonna do when such gaping flaws are brought to light from the bowels of its "tight security"?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I hope the Goatse security sends the image of Goatse to each of those e-mails
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by Pyrest
This thread is full of innuendos. I love it.

In-your-end-ohs....yeah!
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
A lot of people were shocked by the size of the hole.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by fearofthemark

You guys are hilarious, I almost split my sides in laughter

Yeah, I nearly burst my ass laughing.

<.<
>.>
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Man, this is gonna pull Apple apart.

not apple, at&t. it's at&t's script in their website that basically caused everything to go apeshit.

hopefully, this would destroy apple and at&t's frail relationship so that their exclusivity contracts will go away.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
not apple, at&t. it's at&t's script in their website that basically caused everything to go apeshit.

hopefully, this would destroy apple and at&t's frail relationship so that their exclusivity contracts will go away.

It would be really nice if Apple and AT&T would be pulled apart.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

AT&T sure is stretching its asshole by gripping it by the rim and spreading it mercilessly

amidoinitrite?
Quote by Oroborous
AT&T sure is stretching its asshole by gripping it by the rim and spreading it mercilessly

amidoinitrite?

That was a little too obvious
So instead of getting the beach ball of death you'll get this image...

any excuse...

also i guess apple are going to have to get a grip and rip this story wide open to try and try to fill the gap.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
AT&T Security

Man pulling apart his ass cheeks
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 2