Page 1 of 3
Hey guys well here's the amp that turned up earlier....

Well the clean channel and crunch channel are decent but the lead channel!!?? What the hell is that? It's so thin and full of treble (yes i've obviously messed around with the EQ)

I'm so disappointed with the DSL, I thought this would be the amp for me! I LOVED the lead channel on the JVM so was hoping for an amp similar in sound but with a simpler design. Nope...the lead channel on the JVM is so much better than this.

So far I've been through.

Laney GH100L
Laney VC50
Orange Rockerverb
Marshall JVM
Blackstar HT-5
Blackstar HT-20
Marshall DSL

Have to say out of all those amps the one I've been most happiest with is the Laney VC50 but it developed a fault and are no longer in production :\

Guessing my options are either a

GH50L + Hardwire Reverb pedal or a VH100R
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I'm not a high-gain, or Marshall guy... But it seems like you are just ready for the 'next step.' You've been through most of the modern mass produced stuff, don't you think its time to try something boutique?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm not sure what type of tone you're after really, but maybe try out a Blackstar Series One 200? Or how about a Splawn Nitro?
Don't have the cash to be honest and I'm not currently in a band so I can't really justify it. I don't agree with the whole 'high wattage amps can't sound good at bedroom volumes either'
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeah, i think the dsl has the rep of not sounding amazing until you crank it a bit.

what tone(s) are you after, gilbert? or just something which'll work for gilbert?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Rectifier. Sounds like a pretty rational thing to do.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Have you looked into any modellers? A nice ME unit might be right up your alley.
Quote by tubetime86
I'm not a high-gain, or Marshall guy... But it seems like you are just ready for the 'next step.' You've been through most of the modern mass produced stuff, don't you think its time to try something boutique?

+1

what kind of tone are you looking for?? off the top of my head maybe a used Mesa Mk4??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by sharpant
Don't have the cash to be honest and I'm not currently in a band so I can't really justify it. I don't agree with the whole 'high wattage amps can't sound good at bedroom volumes either'

AcousticMirror has been posting GC listings in the WTLTL a lot, and he finds boutique heads for under $1000 regularly. I can't imagine you paid that much less for the DSL.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i think the dsl has the rep of not sounding amazing until you crank it a bit.

what tone(s) are you after, gilbert? or just something which'll work for gilbert?

Well I've always loved Gilbert's lead tone when he was using Laneys.

I think I sold my Laney thinking' woah if this sounds this good imagine how great the high end Marshalls / Orange amps sound' Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that as I'm sure you know.

Like I say I'm not really willing to spend more than £500

That'll pick me up a GH100L & a hardwire reverb pedal second hand.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by tubetime86
AcousticMirror has been posting GC listings in the WTLTL a lot, and he finds boutique heads for under $1000 regularly. I can't imagine you paid that much less for the DSL.

I paid £390 for the DSL. Another option is selling the Orange 2x12 AND the DSL which should get me around £600 and then purchase a JVM205 combo.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jun 10, 2010,
Put a tubescreamer in front of it?
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
You should have got the TSL100... it rocks my socks. And other parts.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
You should have got the TSL100... it rocks my socks. And other parts.

It's really that much different?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Well I've always loved Gilbert's lead tone when he was using Laneys.

I think I sold my Laney thinking' woah if this sounds this good imagine how great the high end Marshalls / Orange amps sound' Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that as I'm sure you know.

Like I say I'm not really willing to spend more than £500

That'll pick me up a GH100L & a hardwire reverb pedal second hand.

yeah, i know what you mean. the oranges sound very different, and the dsls/tsls, if you ask me, just plain aren't as good as the laneys at a similar price. Only modern marshall i really liked was the jvm (and even that wouldn't be my first choice). I thought you didn't like your jvm? or did i get that wrong?

if you liked your laney, you could probably do worse than going back... I haven't tried the gh, though, just the vh100r. I liked the tt series a lot too, i think i preferred it to the vh, it was a bit smoother (that's not to say you'll prefer it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i know what you mean. the oranges sound very different, and the dsls/tsls, if you ask me, just plain aren't as good as the laneys at a similar price. Only modern marshall i really liked was the jvm (and even that wouldn't be my first choice). I thought you didn't like your jvm? or did i get that wrong?

if you liked your laney, you could probably do worse than going back... I haven't tried the gh, though, just the vh100r. I liked the tt series a lot too, i think i preferred it to the vh, it was a bit smoother (that's not to say you'll prefer it).

The thing is I loved the JVM lead channel but despised the crunch channel

Think I'm going to go with the GH100L + Reverb pedal

NOW TO LIST ANOTHER AMP ON EBAY AND PACK IT UP
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Uhm, I have a GH50 and I think if you find the JCM to be too trebly, then you won't like a GH much, either.

What music do you play?
Quote by TheQuailman
Uhm, I have a GH50 and I think if you find the JCM to be too trebly, then you won't like a GH much, either.

What music do you play?

The GH has lots of treble but its not thin sounding like the JCM.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Turn that thing up!
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
What the hell! Have Laney increased their prices?

GH50L is £550!?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jun 10, 2010,
Could also do a bit of research into the Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th anniversary?

Linky

20w
2x EL84
2x 12AX7
2 Channels
Spring Reverb
Effects loop

It is a 1x12 combo though which may not me to your taste, but has a Celestion G12T-100.

Also how much did you sell your Rockerverb for? I'm just getting an idea of prices at the moment

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
£880!

Cheers Quailman but that's still more expensive than they were
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I think if you ran all those amps you tried through different speakers, like GH30's, you would have had more positive experience with them.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
man I can't imagine that people told you awesome things about that amp b4 you bought it.
The general consensus seems to be meh. I've played all of them and they were just kinda meh.

you didn't like the rockerverb? My rockerverb100 was miles above any new production marshall I played.

The GH100l is a fantastic amp for how much it costs. Not quite rv100 territory but way better drive then the jcm2000s.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The Orange Rockerverb was great but it was just a bit dark sounding for my liking and not quite tight enough. I'm quite picky
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
If you liked the VC50 isnt the VH50 just the head version???? Though theyre discontinued too, but the VH100 is still in production.

You can get em for about £800 new so im sure £500 on eBay wont be too hard to find.

I still see VC50s/VH50s pop up on eBay too.
Not everyone is into the marshall stuff. Like myself for instance, ironic considering everyone i love who plays guitar play or at one point played through marshalls, i was never happy with them. Not really into rectifiers myself, i found a lotta satisfaction in the Peavey JSX Head.
Yea but the VC50's are usually so old that I can't trust them with reliability issues. The head version of the VC50 is the VH100R.

If I could find a VH100R in good condition that would also be a possibility!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
do you need a clean channel?
i think you'd love an avenger.

Frankly the JCM2000s never sounded good to me. They always sounded thin and buzzy - like a bee on a diet. Frankly the Splawn Quickrod is what the JCM900/2000 should have been. Hot-rodded marshall with a very usable (albeit el34 flavored) clean.

That info won't solve your problem, but I guess all I'm saying is that I'm not surprised the DSL isn't getting the job done.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Frankly the JCM2000s never sounded good to me. They always sounded thin and buzzy - like a bee on a diet. Frankly the Splawn Quickrod is what the JCM900/2000 should have been. Hot-rodded marshall with a very usable (albeit el34 flavored) clean.

That info won't solve your problem, but I guess all I'm saying is that I'm not surprised the DSL isn't getting the job done.

did you sell your soldano preamp for a se+?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Have you tried a VH100R?

Yes.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by gregs1020
have you tried an eq pedal?

That was my first thought too. Even something like the Fulltone Fatboost might do what you want.

I've been through just as many if not more amps than you have, and after owning them all I've come to a simple conclusion. There is no perfect amp, but as long as you're 70% happy, the other 30% can usually be achieved with a couple really good pedals (or by cranking it and deafening all those nearby)

Someone mentioned the JSX, and I've got to say that I've never in my life heard an amp sound as good as it does at low volumes, provided you switch to 6L6 tubes anyway. Very fat and smooth, with just the right amount of bite. The EL34s sound decent too, but like any amp with these tubes, it's a little fizzy and hard sounding until you get the volume to about 1/2.
Page 1 of 3