I am thinking about buying a new guitar, but at this moment i dont have a proper amp and i've learned from this site buying a fender strat or anything expensive wont make a lot of difference if you dont have a proper amp.

Currently i have an Aria PE, and a studio so i can only record direct into my DI/Preamp (Uaudio 610) but i want to really record my electric guitar with an amp, obviously. So who can recommend me an amp with a great clean sound ( i do a lot of pop/jazzy/bluesy things) and a good distorted sound.

Volume is not really important, its only for studio use, so i dont need extremely high gain. I dont know my budget since US prices differ so much from European prices. So lets say a mid to high class amp.
Peavey Classic 30 should be good. According to price/quality comp.
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Well, the standard clean studio amps are Fenders. On the low power end, you would probably be looking at a Deluxe Reverb re-issue or something like that. They're not going to have much of a high gain sound, but for jazz, pop and blues they're great. You might get a gain box to put in front - something like a Fulltone Fulldrive II or a tonebone classic.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Peavey sounds interesting, price-wise but also from what i've read about it so far. Looks like a allrounder.I think the Fender Deluxe Reverb is a little too expensive.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12" any good? (priced almost the same as the peavey option)
"mid to high class amp" is a very generalized statement. We need a budget, either in $ or € or £.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
"mid to high class amp" is a very generalized statement. We need a budget, either in $ or € or £.

lets say +/- 700 EUR max.
Quote by B&J
lets say +/- 700 EUR max.

The deluxe reverb (reissue) goes for 900 euros I think, worth saving for, I have an original fender deluxe reverb that has the best clean sound ever.
Last edited by sstony at Jun 10, 2010,
How about something like a Laney Cub, Vox AC15, The little Dr Z one (can't remember the name at the mo sorry!), Laney VC30, used JCM900/2000 or even a JVM of some description,

I could go on.....
Ahhh, you see I'd class €1500 mid to high class.

Egnater Tweaker. I haven't yet played this amp, but if it's similar to other Egnater gear you'll be in for a treat. They are very well made with good customer service, diverse and incredily useful features, and above all else a knarly and unique tone.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/egnater_tweaker_112.htm

ENGL Thunder. Very sharp and prestine cleans. Extremely cutting overall feel, with an almost sludgy distorted tone due to it's overt compression and layered gain structures. Great for classic rock.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/engl_thunder_50_e322_roehrencombo.htm

Laney T5. Supposedly one of Laney's nicest sounding amps.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/laney_l5t112_lionheart.htm

Laney VC30. A classic in my eyes. Beautiful cleans, thin and bright leads with a responsive feel.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/laney_vc30_212n_b_stock.htm

Peavey Classic 30. A great amp for the money. You can pick one up for like €400 second-hand, so sho.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_classic_30.htm
Just get a Fender Champ 600 and some pedals....great cleans. Only downside is that its basic and I mean basic. Everything else you want can come from pedals. Would prob be cheaper.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
Just get a Fender Champ 600 and some pedals....great cleans. Only downside is that its basic and I mean basic. Everything else you want can come from pedals. Would prob be cheaper.

So you are saying soundquality-wise there is no difference between the for instante hot rod fender and the champ600 except for the effects/eq etc?. Now it is true i can set all these things in the studio so i dont really need the effects etc. Just a great sound, and indeed some pedals, which i have got.
Last edited by B&J at Jun 10, 2010,
Most people that don't play metal find low wattage amps to be the best for recording because it's easier to get the maximum potential of the amp without putting too much pressure on the mic. My favorite modern, "affordable" amps for recording are the Fender Champ 600, Fender Blues Jr, Fender Princeton, and Laney LC15. For an all round rock, pop, jazz, and blues amp I'd say the Laney LC15 is probably the best of the amps that I have listed simply because it's got better preamp distortion than any of the other options. If you are simply driving the power tubes then I like the Princeton the best but it's also the most expensive and it's overdrive qualities are quite harsh so some don't like it.

That's my 2 cents.
For what you're trying to do, a Laney L5 is seriously worth a look. Might be too dark though, some people don't like it because of that. Still one of the best amps you can get under 1000€, imo.
If it indeed is too dark, a VC15 is worth consideration.
If you don't need drive much or don't mind getting it from pedals, a used Fender Princeton reissue might be what you're looking for.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Ahhh, you see I'd class €1500 mid to high class.

Egnater Tweaker. I haven't yet played this amp, but if it's similar to other Egnater gear you'll be in for a treat. They are very well made with good customer service, diverse and incredily useful features, and above all else a knarly and unique tone.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/egnater_tweaker_112.htm

i love the tweakers, very versatile and i have one on backorder. the cleans are fantastic deep and chimey and the overdrive varies from gritty to sweet and smooth. it has a really cool feature that i havent seen anywhere else, its a three way switch that adjusts the eq of the amp to sound more fendery vox like or marshally, and it does all three increadably well. the only downside is that it is a single channel and you cant switch between the clean and OD without switching the hot switch on the amp.

the egnater rebels are really nice too, and those are two channels, but they dont have as much versatility as the tweaker, but they do have a tube mix function which allows for different tones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love the tweakers, very versatile and i have one on backorder. the cleans are fantastic deep and chimey and the overdrive varies from gritty to sweet and smooth. it has a really cool feature that i havent seen anywhere else, its a three way switch that adjusts the eq of the amp to sound more fendery vox like or marshally, and it does all three increadably well. the only downside is that it is a single channel and you cant switch between the clean and OD without switching the hot switch on the amp.

the egnater rebels are really nice too, and those are two channels, but they dont have as much versatility as the tweaker, but they do have a tube mix function which allows for different tones.

What do you mean with the 1-channel thing? I'm not quite sure what u mean by that. The amp sounds quite interesting though
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Exactly.
Quote by B&J
What do you mean with the 1-channel thing? I'm not quite sure what u mean by that. The amp sounds quite interesting though
One channel generally signifies that the amp cannot be switched between clean and distorted tones with your feet or on the amp itself.

With single channel amps the musician is required to use his guitars volume knob, his picking dynamics, overdrive/distortion pedals, or if the amp has one, a secondary gain/master volume boost, to change the amount of distortion the amp produces.

If you require versatility and gig, then a single channel amp may not be suitable for you.
Quote by sstony
The deluxe reverb (reissue) goes for 900 euros I think, worth saving for, I have an original fender deluxe reverb that has the best clean sound ever.

That's a fake or the face plate has been replaced.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ok so right now on my list are:

Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Peavey Classis 30 Tweet
Laney L5
Laney LC15

Gonna check those out soon
Why the Princeton recording? The regular Princeton is better IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yea, but man ya'll get ****ed on prices over there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by B&J
I figured since i use it for recording this one must be it I supposse you mean http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_65_princeton_reverb.htm That one?

In the case of the Princeton, the "Recording" bit in the name just means "some heckmeck nobody wants anyway". Get the Reverb version if you want a Princeton.

And I hate to say it, but the amps you're looking at are all worlds apart tonally, so you'll definitely need to try out some stuff before making a decision.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
In the case of the Princeton, the "Recording" bit in the name just means "some heckmeck nobody wants anyway". Get the Reverb version if you want a Princeton.

And I hate to say it, but the amps you're looking at are all worlds apart tonally, so you'll definitely need to try out some stuff before making a decision.

lol, was planning on doing that anyway. Gonna take my own guitar there and be jamming for a couple of days

I guess the princeton is the most versatile one on the list? Or not..?
BTW yeah i know we get ******ed on prices over here, thnx for rubbing that in
Quote by B&J
lol, was planning on doing that anyway. Gonna take my own guitar there and be jamming for a couple of days

Actually, it's probably the least versatile...

It's a vintage style Fender. It's got one tone, but that tone is remarkably good.
Quote by B&J

The LC 15 is the most versatile.

The princeton provides the best "clean slate" which is why it gets the support that it does. The problem is that the amp, it's self, doesn't have "features". It's stock reverb and vibrato are not that great, it doesn't have a drive channel and it doesn't have a midrange control. This means you need to either mod the amp, get a boutique version (I can help you with that) or you need to rely a lot on pedals. It also means there is a bit of a learning curve you have to go through in order to use the amps to it's fullest. My favorite amp I own (I've got a valve Jr, Tweed Twin, Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Mesa DC5, Tweed Pro, Bassman, Champ, selmer ac30, and princeton) is my Princeton. It's always the amp I go to 1st because it sounds great, but it's not big on features.
Quote by mmolteratx
That's a fake or the face plate has been replaced.

It´s an original not a reissuse, just about 30 years old.
But the face plate is wrong. The Deluxe Reverb isn't supposed to be in one line like that. And it's supposed to say Deluxe Reverb-Amp not just Deluxe Reverb. And the grill should be aged more.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT